Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
If you have a MacBook, BetterTouchTool will make you realize how limited the use of the Trackpad is if you only use the native Mac OS X settings under Trackpad. If you have an iMac, $70 @ Apple, read below, go to the store, buy it, DO IT! :D

Just wanted to let anyone considering buying a Magic Trackpad know how amazing my experience has been since I bought it just a few days ago.

First, let me just say how much I loved the Magic Mouse. Switching between Full screen Safari and iTunes to the right of my desktop and Dashboard to the left with two finger swipes was really slick in Mountain Lion. Swiping two fingers up to get Mission Control was possible thanks to MagicPrefs http://magicprefs.com/

But with the Magic Trackpad, WOW. Take the time with BetterTouchTool http://blog.boastr.net/ to tweak the insane amount of settings the developer gives you and you will be blown away by what's possible without ever moving your finger. My favorite is using it in Safari. Below are the settings I have:
-Want to Google Search? No more moving to the address bar at the top and clicking in it. Now, take your middle three fingers and tap the Trackpad with only the outside left and right fingers followed immediately by tapping with your middle finger.
-Want to open a new tab? No more moving to the top right corner and clicking on the +. Now, take your middle three fingers and with the pointer and middle finger tap the Trackpad followed immediately by tapping with right finger.
-Want to switch tabs? No more moving the mouse up and clicking on the tab you want. Now, with finger taps you're switching your tabs. Want to go to the left? Middle finger taps and stays down while pointer finger taps repeatedly to keep switching to the left through your tabs. Want to go the the right? Pointer finger taps and stays down while middle finger taps repeatedly to keep switching to the right through your tabs.
-Close a tab? Move the mouse and click on the X, forget about it! Three finger hard press on Trackpad (not tap).

iTunes:
-Play/Pause: Don't move that mouse! 3 finger tap!
-Next song: Just like switching tabs in Safari, middle finger and pointer finger taps for next and previous song.

Three finger swipe up is a native Trackpad setting for Mission Control so I made three finger swipe down open Launchpad which makes a lot of sense as your dock at the bottom shows only some of your Applications, now you naturally swipe down to open ALL of your Applications(Launchpad).

My absolute favorite: I hate having to type out my e-mail address logging in constantly to different sites, different accounts so... this finger tap http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBBGl4efohw makes my e-mail address be typed out ANYWHERE, in any program. It's called custom text paste. I loved using keyboard shortcuts on the iPhone and iPad since I have a bit of a long e-mail I had "ssg" automatically type out my full e-mail address (My e-mail was Sxxx.Sxxxxxxx@gmail.com so you could get creative with it). I tried it on the iMac and it never worked properly, four finger tap is just fun to do.

Basically what BetterTouchTool does is turn keyboard shortcuts into custom gestures. Love being able to five finger hard click to quit an application or three finger hard click to close Finder window and close Safari tabs.

The best part, it's all customizable. What works for me might not work for you. It's REALLY overwhelming the amount of options you're given. If there's any interest I can export my settings as I think it's just a text file. Bonus: I've set mine up to be natural and intuitive enough that even after one sit down lesson the girlfriend has memorized almost all the custom gestures, and I made a lot.

Last edited:

BruceiD

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
Belgium
Well..
I use Magic Mouse and trackpad (laptop) both set up with BetterTouchTool.
I prefer using the Magic Mouse out of practical uses, the gestures are nice but in order for me to work in a productive way, I need a mouse.
So I use the Magic Mouse set up with a few gestures.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
Well..
I use Magic Mouse and trackpad (laptop) both set up with BetterTouchTool.
I prefer using the Magic Mouse out of practical uses, the gestures are nice but in order for me to work in a productive way, I need a mouse.
So I use the Magic Mouse set up with a few gestures.

True, for real productivity you might need a mouse. For general use though, Trackpad is just so fun and intuitive. I would argue majority of people who use the Trackpad on their MacBook's never get a mouse though, BetterTouchTool for them is a must.

mangotears

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2012
True, for real productivity you might need a mouse. For general use though, Trackpad is just so fun and intuitive. I would argue majority of people who use the Trackpad on their MacBook's never get a mouse though, BetterTouchTool for them is a must.

When it comes down to productivity, it's nice to have both of them at your disposal.
The trackpad @ my left hand lets me have access to all the gestures(mostly scrolling, task switching, mission control), while I still get to use a full-size ergonomic mouse to move the cursor.

I think bettertouchtool is a great tool(and bettersnaptool is one of my favorite apps, which is like the paid-version with less functionality from the same developer).
Like you said though, it's more suited towards replacing keyboard shortcuts, but can't really mimic the control and tactile feedback from a mouse when you need it.

ljonesj

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Kingsport TN
i have the problem of the magic mouse which is a great mouse the height of it is not think enough for my hand the back of it does not rise up enough to make it comfortable for me. the track pad is ok for mouse but i cant stand using gestures as it makes my hand and wrist hurt but if i use it for regular mouse duties its fine for me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.