Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:33 PM   #26
putongnihongo
macrumors member

Good for Apple for recognizing Israeli brain power. The rest of the world enjoys bashing on us but Apple knows quality when it sees it
putongnihongo is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:36 PM   #27
Moshe1010
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by putongnihongo View Post
Good for Apple for recognizing Israeli brain power. The rest of the world enjoys bashing on us but Apple knows quality when it sees it
As a former Israeli (still have the passport, but I don't live there) don't be so excited. Apple do what fits best for its interest; they don't really care for Israel as a country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faroZ06 View Post
How about giving TI some competition in the graphing calculator industry? They have a true monopoly there... It's easy to see it when people are buying 90s hardware at 90s hardware prices with 80s processors/screens in 2012.

----------

Same. The stupid TI-84 really screwed me up in chemistry class a few times, and it was a total ripoff.
You need to say thank you to your professor for letting you use these calculators in the first place. In my college you couldn't (and I believe still can't) use anything but a basic scientific calculator.
Moshe1010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:34 PM   #28
PowerPCMacMan
Banned

Ti-99/4a?

Anyone remember TI creating the 99/4A? I am surprised all of you remember TI for their calculators. I have still my 99/4a system with PEB and all. Not bad for 30 year old computer equipment which is built like TANKS!

This should be good though.. sending TI engineers to Israel. Though, I am for ARM to be used in the Mac laptops.. desktops? I would prefer a nice haswell or Power8 chip(Power series).
PowerPCMacMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:20 AM   #29
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPCMacMan View Post

This should be good though.. sending TI engineers to Israel. Though, I am for ARM to be used in the Mac laptops.. desktops? I would prefer a nice haswell or Power8 chip(Power series).
What do you mean sending? It sounds like Apple is recruiting engineers that were laid off from TI facilities in Israel.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:51 AM   #30
ScottishDuck
macrumors 6502

Quote:
If they were so smart they might have a better understanding of national borders.
ScottishDuck is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:09 AM   #31
techwhiz
macrumors 6502

Israeli Engineers

As a U.S. engineer that worked for two years with Israeli engineers. I've also worked with engineers from India, China, Japan, U.K. and Ireland. Engineers are engineers and it really doesn't matter where they are from. Good and bad in every bunch.

Apple is hiring engineers there because they bought a technology company that is based there. If they had bought the same company in INdia or the U.K. they would be hiring engineers there too.

Don't read anything more from it other than they are filling out an engineering team with locals.
techwhiz is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 02:11 AM   #32
H2SO4
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtualball View Post
TI's calculators are perfectly fine. Sure, they should add more RAM and ROM and lower the price but beyond that, they're perfect. People like to complain about the screen or its lack of wifi for some reason, but at the end of the day, it's meant to be used in a classroom. The low res black and white screen gives it its immense battery life and the lack of wifi is good because students could use it to cheat.
So apart from its shortcomings it's perfect?
H2SO4 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:02 AM   #33
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJohnnyN View Post
Texas!
Stop it...just stop it.

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:59 AM   #34
SPUY767
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishDuck View Post
If they were so smart they might have a better understanding of national borders.
Wow. . . It took page two before the anti-semitic comments started.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 06:03 AM   #35
ScottishDuck
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUY767 View Post
Sorry, anti-semitic? Care to elaborate? Or are you merely trying to prove Godwin's Law in some swoop of irony.

Last edited by ScottishDuck; Dec 4, 2012 at 06:14 AM.
ScottishDuck is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:00 AM   #36
wrkactjob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamGabbay View Post
Programmers in Israel are super smart....
True, take Stuxnet for an example.
wrkactjob is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:59 AM   #37
Henriok
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUY767 View Post
That statement isn't antisemitic, it's critique against actions by the state of Israel. You are allowed to do that, just like you are allowed to criticize the United States or Sweden for stuff they make that you don't agree with. That doesn't mean that you are saying anything about the people, their religion society or anything else. If one can't criticize politics and actions, what can you criticize?
Henriok is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:15 AM   #38
SamGabbay
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrkactjob View Post
True, take Stuxnet for an example.
"It has been speculated that Israel AND the United States may have been involved"
SamGabbay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:17 AM   #39
Aadhil
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishDuck View Post
Sorry, anti-semitic? Care to elaborate? Or are you merely trying to prove Godwin's Law in some swoop of irony.
Lol that's how they make people feel guilty about dissing Israelis. Heck they even call Semites, anti-Semites
Aadhil is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:40 AM   #40
Tiger8
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriok View Post
That statement isn't antisemitic, it's critique against actions by the state of Israel. You are allowed to do that, just like you are allowed to criticize the United States or Sweden for stuff they make that you don't agree with. That doesn't mean that you are saying anything about the people, their religion society or anything else. If one can't criticize politics and actions, what can you criticize?
Thank you. Unfortunately many Americans are ok bashing their own country's government and president, but are not ok with any sort of critism of the 'peaceful' nation of Israel. For some reason, the line between government, nation, identity, and religion blurs when it comes to Israel. Heck, they take personal offense when you critisize their PM .
Tiger8 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:49 AM   #41
putongnihongo
macrumors member

It is quite antisemitic because when a terrorist blows up a school bus full of jewish children the UN barely slaps them on the wrist. When we defend ourselves by knocking out terrorist capabilities that they HIDE in civilian areas its a friggin warm crime. Complete double standard. Amos Oz said it best, the Europeans didn't want the Jews in Europe, and now that we are back in the Middle East they don't want us there either. Apparently they don't want us Jews anywhere.
putongnihongo is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:22 AM   #42
Dooger
macrumors 6502

Quote:
It is quite antisemitic because when a terrorist blows up a school bus full of jewish children the UN barely slaps them on the wrist. When we defend ourselves by knocking out terrorist capabilities that they HIDE in civilian areas its a friggin warm crime. Complete double standard. Amos Oz said it best, the Europeans didn't want the Jews in Europe, and now that we are back in the Middle East they don't want us there either. Apparently they don't want us Jews anywhere.

"Israel uses sophisticated attack jets and naval vessels to bomb densely-crowded refugee camps, schools, apartment blocks, mosques, and slums to attack a population that has no air force, no air defense, no navy, no heavy weapons, no artillery units, no mechanized armor, no command in control, no armyÖ and calls it a war. It is not a war, it is murder.

When Israelis in the occupied territories now claim that they have to defend themselves, they are defending themselves in the sense that any military occupier has to defend itself against the population they are crushing. You canít defend yourself when youíre militarily occupying someone elseís land. Thatís not defense. Call it what you like, itís not defense."

-Noam Chompsky

Go ahead, call him anti-semetic. I double dare you.
Dooger is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:37 AM   #43
LobsterMan
macrumors newbie

As an Israeli, I was enjoying reading the to-the-point comments in this thread, till some thin-skinned person had to be offended by a slight political remark. Let's put politics aside, I get enough of it on the news.
LobsterMan is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:47 AM   #44
chirpie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPCMacMan View Post
Anyone remember TI creating the 99/4A? I am surprised all of you remember TI for their calculators. I have still my 99/4a system with PEB and all. Not bad for 30 year old computer equipment which is built like TANKS!

Oh yeah... Hunt the Wumpus! I also had the cassette adapter where you'd play the cassette and wait 15 minutes for a text based game to load. Whoot! And you're so right on the built like a tank observation. You could smash some heads with those heavy as a brick systems. ^_^
chirpie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:54 AM   #45
adder7712
macrumors 68000

My phone has a TI chipset.

No, they don't just make calculators.

Anyway, Israel has brilliant engineers so I'm not surprised.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:58 AM   #46
SamGabbay
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooger View Post
"Israel uses sophisticated attack jets and naval vessels to bomb densely-crowded refugee camps, schools, apartment blocks, mosques, and slums to attack a population that has no air force, no air defense, no navy, no heavy weapons, no artillery units, no mechanized armor, no command in control, no armyÖ and calls it a war. It is not a war, it is murder.

When Israelis in the occupied territories now claim that they have to defend themselves, they are defending themselves in the sense that any military occupier has to defend itself against the population they are crushing. You canít defend yourself when youíre militarily occupying someone elseís land. Thatís not defense. Call it what you like, itís not defense."

-Noam Chompsky

Go ahead, call him anti-semetic. I double dare you.
Too bad Noam Chompsky is associated [if he himself is not one] with antisemitism.
SamGabbay is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:21 AM   #47
intothepolis
macrumors regular

Damn. Wish I was an engineer.
intothepolis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:48 AM   #48
Overg
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe1010 View Post
As a former Israeli (still have the passport, but I don't live there) don't be so excited. Apple do what fits best for its interest; they don't really care for Israel as a country.

You need to say thank you to your professor for letting you use these calculators in the first place. In my college you couldn't (and I believe still can't) use anything but a basic scientific calculator.
While true that they don't care about Israel, they do care about cost\value
and they found, what every other major high tech company found ( like Google, Intel, Microsoft,Hp,TI,Qualacom,Boradcom and many more.. ),that Israel have one of the best talented engineers in world.
That is the reason that many of the companies listed above, don't have any r&d centres outside USA EXCEPT Israel .
Overg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:53 AM   #49
Mac-Mariachi
macrumors regular

TI are also the makers of one of my favorite late ī70s electronic games: Speak & Spell.
Mac-Mariachi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:19 AM   #50
sjinsjca
macrumors 65816

[QUOTE=Go ahead, call him anti-semetic. I double dare you.[/QUOTE]

I have no issue whatsoever calling Chomsky anti-Semitic.
sjinsjca is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion