Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:45 AM   #201
TrentS
macrumors 6502

"Playa!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
Yet when you get a good director who can take advantage of actors like that, you get great movies like Collateral.
I've always though Tom Cruise has been underrated as an actor. I thought his portrayal of Les Grossman in Tropic Thunder almost stole the show. Not to mention BOTFOJ, A Few Good Men, and Risky Business.

TrentS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:47 AM   #202
larrybeo
macrumors regular

Seriously?!?!

What is wrong with Apple anymore? I feel like my 6 year old beloved child has now become satan and I don't know them anymore. Why would they let Kutcher play Steve Jobs? I'm not interested in this at all. Unless he can prove that he is another Jim Carey capable of playing comedy roles his whole life and then suddenly switching to something serious AKA Truman Show. Unlikely. Apple is going the way of Microsoft. Who wants to start up a technology company?
larrybeo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:50 AM   #203
caspian
macrumors member

Made in USA, Cloned in Hollywood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uknowimright View Post
this movie will probably never be released on Blu-Ray
The Made in China better or wassit Design in USA?
caspian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:15 AM   #204
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentS View Post
I've always though Tom Cruise has been underrated as an actor. I thought his portrayal of Les Grossman in Tropic Thunder almost stole the show. Not to mention BOTFOJ, A Few Good Men, and Risky Business.

He's a good choice for a few roles. If you've ever got a part that calls for someone who's fidgety, tightly wound, and has a tinge of the crazy, go with Tom Cruise. Every other movie he's well known for, he's usually outclassed by his co-actors.

Like A Few Good Men. Demi Moore was a better actress, and Jack Nicholson practically chewed him to pieces along with the rest of the scenery. Rain Man? That's all Dustin Hoffman. He was alright in Risky Business, but it's been years since I've seen that movie.

He's an alright actor, but not a truly great one...unless he's in a part that plays to his strengths. Like Collateral, which was in my opinion his best movie.
Renzatic is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:18 AM   #205
GQB
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikus View Post
Are you denying the fact that Steve Jobs hated consumers having options?
Absolutely.
Jobs gave us a choice between wild-west, virus-infested platforms and one largely free of that cess-pit.
You have the biggest choice imaginable... choose your hobbyware from Google.
Enjoy!
GQB is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:21 AM   #206
inkswamp
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixodes View Post
It seems to be a characteristic behavior of many hero worshippers. Nothings good enough for them. For the man they revere.

If something is written about an Apple product, they don't like, they trash the source. It's all about pointing the finger & blaming. It's about as immature as the mans temper tantrums when he unleashed his fury on employees that didn't keep him happy. Because of the near universal culture of worshipping money & power in the USA, he could get away with what would never be tolerated under slightly different circumstances.

If this movie is anything less than a blockbuster, the Apple faithful will place blame anywhere they feel like.

You can tell by the comments thus far, there's a lot of expectations & building discontentment over the choice of A.K.

It's just a small movie, there's nothing to get emotional about.
Well said. I admire what Steve Jobs did in his lifetime but don't worship the guy nor do I view him as a sacred cow. I think it behooves everyone to withhold judgment on this and form an opinion on more than a promotional photo.

What's ironic is that Jobs held to some ideals that would discourage exactly this kind of hero worship and defensive nostalgia. If someone really wanted to honor his legacy, they'd refuse to take any depiction of his life story that seriously.

And besides, Pirates of Silicon Valley was a spectacular bit of entertainment despite being historically inaccurate and cartoonishly exaggerated at points. I say, people should just relax and see what this film is all about before hauling out the harsh judgment.
inkswamp is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:27 AM   #207
topmounter
macrumors 68000

He still looks like Ashton Kutcher to me.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:40 AM   #208
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I'm here because I use apple products. Fortunately I didn't gobble up everything that Steve said as law, nor have I since his death. That said, I'll continue reading between the lines, I have no trust in Apple nor any other company. Its pretty ridiculous to cheer on for a company like a sports team.
You complain about/criticize something (no choice) that is the (Apple) core of their business.

The majority of consumers have no clue of the inner workings of a computer and will not dare or have the expertise to tinker around in them.

Apple has decided that they value simplification and a great user experience.

So, who are you to act as if you know better?

If you can't post any personal accomplishments in the field of computer technology, software and hardware , you just need to shut up.

Buy from Apple or other manufacturers the products they put out (Their way, their prerogative) or find other solutions that fit your personal needs.

Stop boring us to death complaining about what Apple doesn't do.

Their overall philosophy made them the number 1 company in the world.

And your company is number?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:45 AM   #209
TallManNY
macrumors 68020

I think this is going to be good and I'm looking forward to seeing it. But I'm pretty much square in their target audience so I'm an easy sell.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post
Well said. I admire what Steve Jobs did in his lifetime but don't worship the guy nor do I view him as a sacred cow. I think it behooves everyone to withhold judgment on this and form an opinion on more than a promotional photo.

What's ironic is that Jobs held to some ideals that would discourage exactly this kind of hero worship and defensive nostalgia. If someone really wanted to honor his legacy, they'd refuse to take any depiction of his life story that seriously.

And besides, Pirates of Silicon Valley was a spectacular bit of entertainment despite being historically inaccurate and cartoonishly exaggerated at points. I say, people should just relax and see what this film is all about before hauling out the harsh judgment.
Yeah, but this two hours is going to be a nice pleasant way to learn about an important part in the birth of computing and to think about how companies in general get their start. I think it is going to be well worth your time and money to see it.
TallManNY is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:48 AM   #210
TrentS
macrumors 6502

"And You're Under Arrest, You Son Of A B*tch!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
He's a good choice for a few roles. If you've ever got a part that calls for someone who's fidgety, tightly wound, and has a tinge of the crazy, go with Tom Cruise. Every other movie he's well known for, he's usually outclassed by his co-actors.

Like A Few Good Men. Demi Moore was a better actress, and Jack Nicholson practically chewed him to pieces along with the rest of the scenery. Rain Man? That's all Dustin Hoffman. He was alright in Risky Business, but it's been years since I've seen that movie.

He's an alright actor, but not a truly great one...unless he's in a part that plays to his strengths. Like Collateral, which was in my opinion his best movie.
I guess you bought into all that Hollywood hype that Hoffman was brilliant in Rainman, when in fact Cruise was the one with the stellar performance. I myself could have played a mono-tone, staring into the abyss, mentally challenged person ( wait... is that on a knock on me!? ). All you have to do is read your lines like you are just reading you lines. Cruise's character Charlie went on an emotional rollercoaster ride in that movie, and he played it to a tee!

Oh, and by the way, he put Nicholson's character "away" in AFGM. ha ha

TrentS is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:55 AM   #211
powers74
macrumors 68000

doppelganger

This image should go up on http://stockingisthenewplanking.tumblr.com/ lol
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:57 AM   #212
TsMkLg068426
macrumors 6502a

This movie will be banned in every theater and Apple store.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:57 AM   #213
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrybeo View Post
What is wrong with Apple anymore? I feel like my 6 year old beloved child has now become satan and I don't know them anymore. Why would they let Kutcher play Steve Jobs? I'm not interested in this at all. Unless he can prove that he is another Jim Carey capable of playing comedy roles his whole life and then suddenly switching to something serious AKA Truman Show. Unlikely. Apple is going the way of Microsoft. Who wants to start up a technology company?
Your post reads like you think Apple decided to hire Kutcher.

Apple have nothing to do with the film. It's an independent film.

So no - this is bugger all to do with anything being "wrong" with Apple.
rmwebs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:04 PM   #214
nexusrule
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiPi View Post
The user was just giving his opinion. No need to get so upset. If you dont like it then move on
The user was just giving his opinion. No need to get so upset. If you dont like it then move on
nexusrule is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:06 PM   #215
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post
Bingo. The cast were also a bunch of nobodies, with only Noah Wyle really being the only one anyone recognised from ER (and even then he was hardly an A-List celebrity).

The fact that it's Ashton Kutcher just seemed to get a few people's backs up. The guy CAN act, and CAN be serious when he needs to be, it just so happens that a lot of his rolls have involved comedy films.

Jim Carey is a prime example of a comedy actor that can do a serious film when the occasion calls for it.

People should just be damn thankful that the film's being made in the first place, it's a huge risk doing an indy film, and is usually a pretty hard task to get someone as well known to star in it.
rmwebs is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:08 PM   #216
nexusrule
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrybeo View Post
Not with you Remember this little detail: Steve Jobs was not an Apple product, Apple has not say in matters like this. Actually, nobody has, if one want to make a movie about a public figure, he does it. Simple like that.
nexusrule is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:10 PM   #217
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatearray View Post
Sheesh, have a little respect wikus. Steve Jobs was an extraordinary man who built the most successful company the world has even seen. You could argue that he not only did this once, but twice! It's an amazing feat, and to label him as "psychotic" is disgraceful on your part, all he did was execute a product strategy for HIS company's products! What have you done?

And you know, many of us around here would label someone who posts endless negative comments in a forum designed for Apple enthusiasts as "psychotic".
Whilst I dont agree with wikus's comments, YOU need to chill out. You're acting like Mr Jobs was the damn second coming. He was just a guy. Was he good at what he did? Yes. Did he make mistakes? Loads. Was he perfect? No.

It's funny how people forget that whilst he was a great sales man, he was also a complete and utter *******. I love Apple products as much as the next guy, but this is not a cult. We dont have to bow down to the lord Jobs to appreciate that he did some great things. Also, dont forget that MOST of Apple's products were NOT Steve's ideas, but ideas of other employees.
rmwebs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:37 PM   #218
Gemütlichkeit
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by portishead View Post
do you really have to write [sic]? We get it. This isn't a high school essay.
yes, yes they do.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:41 PM   #219
aperture01
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustjay View Post
Nobody's posted it yet. Here's the original:

Wow that's shockingly similar. Hope the film turns out good.
aperture01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:49 PM   #220
mdelvecchio
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Are you denying the fact that Steve Jobs hated consumers having options?
get real. he didnt "hate" choices any more than obama/romney "hate" america. he simply wouldnt stand for inferior choices. in the same way as Henry Ford once said: "Consumers can get it any color they like, as long as that color is black."

it's his product. they build it the way he and they think its best. you then vote w/ your dollars.

whats so hard to grasp?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiPi View Post
if you dont like that the user youre responding to was giving *his* opinion on the opinion, then *you* should move on.

for you to instead post that he should move on, rather than following your own advice, is 100% idiotic. durrr
mdelvecchio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:49 PM   #221
AaronTheYoung
macrumors member

Demi Moore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzerandchips View Post
For all is so called failings in acting....he had many years with Demi Moore, guys a dude in my eyes....
Ha! Gotta respect that!
AaronTheYoung is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:52 PM   #222
Sedrick
macrumors 68030

Ashton Kutcher is the biggest wet-noodle I've ever seen. Either way, there will certainly be millions of fanboys creaming their jeans over this. Maybe it will be the Rocky Horror Picture Show for nerds.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:55 PM   #223
CandyNJ66
macrumors regular

Ashton is easy on the eyes and does look like a young Steve.

I hope Ashton does a good job at portraying Steve

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedrick View Post
Ashton Kutcher is the biggest wet-noodle I've ever seen. Either way, there will certainly be millions of fanboys creaming their jeans over this. Maybe it will be the Rocky Horror Picture Show for nerds.
Your homophobic and intolerant comments aren't welcome here.

We've entered the 21st century 10 years ago..
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:05 PM   #224
Old Muley
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfilg View Post
it's a pity they chose Joshua Michael Stern to direct it! david Fincher, Christopher Nolan or Sam Mendes would have been a better choice. Looking at Joshua's previous work, it sucks!
I'd have preferred David Lynch as director...
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:07 PM   #225
steve333
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Reminds me of Tom Cruise, another awful actor who can only play roles that are similar to himself in real life: an overwhelming jackass.
Thank you. I despise Cruise with every fiber of my being.
Anytime he appears in a movie it automatically cheapens it.
Cruise makes Brad Pitt look like Laurence Olivier.
steve333 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion