Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pandasinspace

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2012
I just bought a Speck Smartflex card case for my iphone 4S, mainly so that it can hold my RFID-based transit card (MBTA CharlieCard), so that I can just tap my phone+card against the scanner, rather than having to fish my wallet out of my bookbag.

Is this ill-advised? I've stumbled on terms like "cross-interference" and "de-magnetize" but don't quite understand what they mean, and if they are applicable here... Namely-- would the phone interfere with the chip in the card and ruin the card, or vice versa? Would the scanner interfere with my phone and disrupt it somehow? Would the phone and card interact in such a way that the scanner would not be able to read the card?

I haven't tried to use this yet. But I ran across a review of the HEX Stealth that made me suddenly realize this could be an issue, and has me worried.

Would appreciate substantive/knowledge-based answers, rather than just speculation. Thanks for your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.