Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 3, 2012, 07:58 PM   #1
xatruch07
macrumors newbie

Smile Verizon iPhone 5 activation abroad

hey guys,

i bought two iphones last week on best buy, a 16GB and a 32GB, my mother-in-law went to pick them up today at the store because i live outside the US. she told the clerk at the store that that both iphones are meant to be used outside the US, so the guy told her that for the phones to be unlocked for using them abroad, they had to be activated with verizon right there at the best buy store. when she told me that, i was kinda confused cuz of all ive read here throughout the forum saying that the verizon model comes unlocked right outta the box.

So my question is, can the verizon model be activated using an international sim outside the US or does it have to be activated first at the best buy store for it to accept the international sim later on when i get them here in my country?

thank you guys so much in advance for Your help!!!
xatruch07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 08:08 PM   #2
Baggio
macrumors 6502

I believe you have to initially activate it on Verizon's network, then swap out the Verizon SIM card and you can use any GSM SIM card, as the GSM radio on the phone is unlocked.
Baggio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 08:13 PM   #3
darster
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggio View Post
I believe you have to initially activate it on Verizon's network, then swap out the Verizon SIM card and you can use any GSM SIM card, as the GSM radio on the phone is unlocked.
You do not need to activate first with Verizon. The phone is unlocked. Just insert nanosim in phone from another country, turn on and it will take a minute or two, but it will recognize sim. Activation with Verzion sim is for use on Verizon's CDMA network. However, if you paid the subsidized price, you are now required to pay for 2 years of service or pay the ETF of $350 for each phone, plus one month's service.
darster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 08:21 PM   #4
xatruch07
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darster View Post
You do not need to activate first with Verizon. The phone is unlocked. Just insert nanosim in phone from another country, turn on and it will take a minute or two, but it will recognize sim. Activation with Verzion sim is for use on Verizon's CDMA network. However, if you paid the subsidized price, you are now required to pay for 2 years of service or pay the ETF of $350 for each phone, plus one month's service.
i paid the unactivated price for each of them, $699 and $799 respectively.

thank you very much guys!

i guess ill tell my mother-in-law to tell the clerk to still activate them, just to be sure i get the verizon model and not the sprint model like many other guys here in the forum hahahaha
xatruch07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone