Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Itsallkosher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2011
Boston/Tel-Aviv
Yesterday I used CleanMyMac, and after I "cleaned" it, I couldn't open any apps. I opened Activity Monitor, and there was nothing. Weird, right? So I just restarted the computer and now it just hangs on the boot screen with the loading wheel that never loads anything (that I can visibly see). I tried fsck in single user mode and it says the disk is fine. I don't have a recovery partition (not sure why...), so Cmd+R to use Disk Utility isn't an option. When I try to boot into Safe Mode, I get the same hang at the Apple boot screen. I'm away from home and don't have any Apple Boot Disk and the nearest Apple store is pretty far from here.

I can, however, boot into my Windows partition (which I'm using now) so the physical disk doesn't seem to be damanged. Any ideas? Anything I can do from this Windows partition?

Thanks for any help! :)

Nov 28, 2010
located
One app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much.

Have you tried all of these steps, as far as you can without recovery media?

And what exact Mac do you have? Do you have access to any other Mac to redownload Mac OS X 10.7 Lion or OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion and make an installer from that?

For future reference: Five Mac maintenance myths + Performance Tips For Mac OS X

Itsallkosher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2011
Boston/Tel-Aviv
Thanks for the speedy reply. I guess I will not be using CleanMyMac anymore :p Thanks for those tips!

I have seen those articles on "when your computer doesn't boot" syndrome. I do have access to another Mac at work on Wednesday. Whether or not our space will have internet is up in the air. It's an iMac, so not that portable. Is there someway to use that to "boot" from? Firewire? I know that once before I brought my Mac to the Apple store and they just hooked my computer up to one of their machines to boot from and they did some diagnostics...

Thanks again for helping!

Itsallkosher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2011
Boston/Tel-Aviv
I will have an iMac tomorrow and FireWire cables. If I put my MacBook Pro into Target Disk Mode, can I use the iMac to Verify and Repair the disk? I guess I'm just a little confused as to WHY my laptop is stuck on the boot screen. Fsck checks out fine in single user mode...

Is there something else I should try tomorrow if I have my device in Target disk mode (or I can boot from another external drive which is a clone of the iMac)?
Thanks!

Itsallkosher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2011
Boston/Tel-Aviv
I put my machine in TDM ran the Repair from Disk Utility on the iMac, and it says it's fine. I cannot, however, Verify or Repair Disk permissions. I should be able to because it is my Macintosh HD startup disk. Any ideas? I started my machine in Verbose mode and this is what it is hanging on:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 489
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.