iTunes Music Store Launches in 56 New Countries, Movies Arrive in Four - Page 2 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:07 PM   #26
MacDiaz
macrumors member

Finally in South Africa

In SA we have been fighting to get music available in Itunes for years, it had something to do with taxes and licensing , finally its here !!!
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:14 PM   #27
ThunderSkunk
macrumors 68000

Hah! Moldova, Belarus...

Like those are real places.

Nice one Apple.
ThunderSkunk is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:18 PM   #28
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

7 billion people on the planet yet a simple music store remains as balkanized as ever.

iTunes opening up in other countries has zero benefit for me.
nuckinfutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:04 AM   #29
kot
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriebe View Post
I get that they are physically on both continents. That's why I'm ok with it being Eurasian. But when 90% of a country is in Asia and it's considered a European country, that seems pretty odd to me.

And thanks for the maps... Google is hard.
I don't know about Turkey, but only a tiny part of Russian population (IIRC ~7%) lives on the eastern side of the country, and most of them are indigenous peoples of Asia (much like the native Americans in the USA or the aboriginal people of Australia) basically what you get beyond the Ural mountains (which separate Europe from Asia) is wild nature. Russia did colonized Asian territories in the 17th century but they never had enough manpower to make them something you'd call a populated territory. I did a paper on that.
kot is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:06 AM   #30
adder7712
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckinfutz View Post
7 billion people on the planet yet a simple music store remains as balkanized as ever.

iTunes opening up in other countries has zero benefit for me.
It's all a out licensing!
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:13 AM   #31
SWPROX
macrumors member

Itunes Store,well in India,back home,not even one of my friend pays for the music or movies or PC games-it's rampant piracy.

If some one does-he or she is labelled a fool.
SWPROX is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:14 AM   #32
hrishidev
macrumors regular

Now it makes more sense to own iPhone 5 (my first iphone )
Now, more content for Apple TV & it gonna be successful worldwide
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:16 AM   #33
ethana
Banned

Being a developer, this is great news for me. More apps to sell!
ethana is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:27 AM   #34
rodeoz
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWPROX View Post
Itunes Store,well in India,back home,not even one of my friend pays for the music or movies or PC games-it's rampant piracy.

Piracy is rampant in India, but much of music piracy had to do with non-availability of legal downloads. Flipkart's music service "Flyte" opened earlier this year and within 6 months had over 600,000 legal downloads. So there are many willing to pay for music.

iTunes will face tough competition from Flyte. While it has the backing of Apple, as far as music is concerned, Flyte does hold an edge. Their pricing is slightly cheaper than iTunes, their catalogue much bigger, and Flipkart as a brand is now highly trusted in India.
rodeoz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:42 AM   #35
moonsabie
macrumors newbie

serbia next please

as a us citizen in belgrade i feel a little bad for for serbians they want to be new yorkers so bad they even have a geat apple distribution store i suppose the turbo folk record companies are playing hard ball with apple.
moonsabie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:43 AM   #36
zhelou
macrumors newbie

Did they also launch itunes match so that we can add the music that we "imported from cds" ?
zhelou is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:57 AM   #37
faroZ06
Banned

Yay, iTunes in Armenia.

----------

Quote:

I have an Indian friend who has told me about the video CDs he sees a lot of when he visits where two CDs are used to store one feature-length DVD film. Those are illegitimate, right?
faroZ06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:16 AM   #38
Skoopman
macrumors 6502

Man, Turkey and Russia also got the Movie store. Romania has a iTunes Match button since Friday, but I still can't subscribe
Skoopman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:18 AM   #39
SWPROX
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faroZ06 View Post
Yay, iTunes in Armenia.

----------

I have an Indian friend who has told me about the video CDs he sees a lot of when he visits where two CDs are used to store one feature-length DVD film. Those are illegitimate, right?
I guess yes,the problem is no one gives a hoot about legitimacy of music or movies,I still spend a good part in India and everyone of my friend as I said either torrents movies or there are illegal rental shops which rent out pirated copies.And am talking about New Delhi,not some small town or city.

It's sad,but then why pay when everything is so easily accesible,tons of sites where you can download music easily for free.Literally all my college friends keep downloading movies,even shows like 'how I met your mother' and all are wildly popular and easily torrented.
SWPROX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:37 AM   #40
petsounds
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallynotnick View Post
As a US resident, it baffles me how long it has taken to roll out to some of these countries. I mean we have had the iTunes Music Store for over 9 years over here! Licensing just must be a real pain.
In Soviet Russia, music license you!
petsounds is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:41 AM   #41
verniesgarden
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to verniesgarden
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriebe View Post
When did Russia and Turkey become European? They are definitely on the continental side of Asia. You could say they are part of Eurasia, but definitely not Europe.
I always thought Turkey and parts of Russia were part of eastern Europe, now I think I need to look at a globe...
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:57 AM   #42
aristotle
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKHAN View Post
Please come to Canada
Trollololololololo.
I must be imagining the iTunes music store that I have had access to since December 2004, TV shows since June of 2009, App store since June of 2009 or Movies since February 2012.

Oh and those iTunes gift cards that have been on the shelves in Canada for a couple years now must be in illusion too.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:58 AM   #43
ThE.MeSsEnGeR
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderSkunk View Post
Hah! Moldova, Belarus...

Like those are real places.

Nice one Apple.

seriously? why don't you get your head out of the ground and check out a map, and maybe get some culture knowledge while you're at it.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:20 AM   #44
Jeaz
macrumors regular

And still no iTunes match for the Nordic region. Wonder why, if it's the music industry or Apple that's stalling.
Jeaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:05 AM   #45
mandark100
macrumors member

Finally India also going to get iTunes Store. Great news!
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:21 AM   #46
Abazigal
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallynotnick View Post
As a US resident, it baffles me how long it has taken to roll out to some of these countries. I mean we have had the iTunes Music Store for over 9 years over here! Licensing just must be a real pain.
Heh, Even Singapore got itunes and apple tv only this June.
Abazigal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:11 AM   #47
NanoTubeReturns
macrumors newbie

It only took 10 years...

but finally we have iTunes in Israel.
I truly wonder why it took so long.
NanoTubeReturns is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:25 AM   #48
zukernik
macrumors regular

Pretty sure Azerbaijan is part of Asia and not the Middle East.
zukernik is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:26 AM   #49
j4zb4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgiguere1 View Post
You don't need an iPhone to buy music on iTunes.

BTW iTunes has been the largest music retailer in the US for over 4 years now, and now sells more music than all US CD retailers combined. Those people may want to ditch CDs without resorting to piracy too.
True... If I just want a single track I am not going to purchase the whole album fromt he store.. .Which was the only option... Hence, we had to resort to that...

Quote:

Well seems you have been abroad for a long time... Times are a changing my friend... But, yes piracy is still rampant... But then if cineplexes steal by charging 500 quid a movie, then you can't blame them for stealing music... lol... And yes I am labelled a fool amongst my friends... But, then I don't think paying Rs. 7/- - Rs. 15/- per song... Yes paying Rs. 300 for the whole album when I just wanted a single track was ridiculous...

I am happy movies have been launched too... I can enjoy the HD movies by renting them at Rs. 120/- and watch it with my family on my 50" for Rs. 120/- rather than spending 400/- to 500/- per person... Ofcourse those blockbusters I will still prefer watching in a movie hall... But not every movie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeoz View Post
Piracy is rampant in India, but much of music piracy had to do with non-availability of legal downloads. Flipkart's music service "Flyte" opened earlier this year and within 6 months had over 600,000 legal downloads. So there are many willing to pay for music.

iTunes will face tough competition from Flyte. While it has the backing of Apple, as far as music is concerned, Flyte does hold an edge. Their pricing is slightly cheaper than iTunes, their catalogue much bigger, and Flipkart as a brand is now highly trusted in India.
Yes rightly said... But, Flyte isn't that big yet... And it has just recently launched... Not many people are aware... So since both are just starting up I think iTunes has a better chance of success... Unless Flipkart improves its collection and experience quickly...
j4zb4 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:26 AM   #50
Tha Professor
macrumors regular

TV Shows next, please!:-)
Tha Professor is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion