Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:23 PM   #1
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Live Forever or Go back in Time?

Answer these two questions:
If you could live forever, would you? You would grow old but you wouldn't become brittle.
If you could go back in time to change your destiny and affecting everyone around you, would you?
Squilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:25 PM   #2
Comeagain?
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
If you could live forever, would you? You would grow old but you wouldn't become brittle.
If you could go back in time to change your destiny and affecting everyone around you, would you?
No. I'd get too bored.
Definitely No. Have you ever seen ANY time travel involving movie!
Comeagain? is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:26 PM   #3
dkersten
macrumors 6502a

1) No I think you would get bored after awhile.
2) I would only do it if I knew the other people I was affecting were not negatively affected
dkersten is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:27 AM   #4
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkersten View Post
1) No I think you would get bored after awhile.
Everyone you ever knew, or ever will know, eventually dying? No thanks.

Quote:
2) I would only do it if I knew the other people I was affecting were not negatively affected
I think this would be pretty close to impossible.
iJohnHenry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:30 AM   #5
SlasherDuff
macrumors 6502a

No thanks. Living forever makes me cringe

No. Despite how bad my childhood was, I wouldn't change things. I am happy on how things have ended up
Old Dec 4, 2012, 06:08 AM   #6
eric/

I would definitely live forever if I could
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 06:41 AM   #7
leenak
macrumors 68000

No and no.
leenak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:46 AM   #8
samiwas
macrumors 65816

Quote:
If I had to grow old, no way. If I could just stay 25 or so...eh, only if I had unlimited funding and didn't have to work forever! But, no...it would probably get really boring after a while. I certainly would not want to live forever as an old guy.

Quote:
This depends. To what level are we talking about? I would love to go back and re-live my 18-30 years with the knowledge of personal interaction that I have now. There were so many opportunities that passed me by because I was so caught up in myself and living in my shell. I don't buy into that whole "but those experiences made me what I am today" stuff.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:43 AM   #9
sviato
macrumors 68000

Quote:
The question is inherently flawed. If I can live forever does that also mean that I can't die (in ways other than natural death)?

Does this mean that I wouldn't be dependent on current necessities, i.e. food or sleep etc? Because a lack of either of those, for example, can result in death but I can live forever so I shouldn't need them.

If so, I could potentially do anything without fear of death so it would take extremely long to run out of things to do.

What about when the Earth can no longer sustain life, does everything around get destroyed but I still live somehow?

In conclusion, it's a dumb question to ask.
sviato is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:28 AM   #10
mscriv
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by sviato View Post
The question is inherently flawed. (Blah, Blah, Blah) In conclusion, it's a dumb question to ask.
* Bold addition mine*

Wow, some people really are a little short in the imagination department.

Willful suspension of disbelief... look it up.

In conclusion, if you don't like the conversation and don't have anything to contribute then just don't post. Oh, remind me never to go to a movie with you.

As to the questions, I think living forever would be incredibly rewarding for a while, but would eventually become quite challenging from an emotional perspective.

I go back and forth on the second question, there are definite things about my past that I wish I could change, but would the ripple effect be worth it in the end.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:33 AM   #11
blevins321
macrumors 68030

No living forever would mean I would have to care too much about my impact to the world. The way it is now, if I screw up too had, I have much less than a century to live with my mistakes.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:16 AM   #12
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

I would live forever if and if I had the option to be able to end my life when I choose. Don't want to be alone for a millions years after a nuclear war while I wait for the mutants to return to human form. Also, none if that crap that happened to the two leads at the end of death becomes her. I live, I stay whole!
Mac'nCheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:50 AM   #13
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscriv View Post
Willful suspension of disbelief... look it up.
Oh boy, a cartoon. I love cartoons, when I want to shut-down for a while.
iJohnHenry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:21 AM   #14
Mousse
macrumors 65816

A mad naked man I met a few years back who claimed to be the Wandering Jew told me eternal life ain't all it's cracked up to be. Well, I don't take advice from a mad naked man, so I would live forever. That ought to give me enough time to concoct a means of restoring my youth.

As for going back in time and changing destiny. I'm all over that. Causality can kiss my keyster. What fate imposes, that men must need abide. Yeah? Well, not this old geezer. I'd screw around with history until it ends up the way *I* see fit. I'll be King of da World, I tells yah.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 02:05 PM   #15
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac'nCheese View Post
I would live forever if and if I had the option to be able to end my life when I choose. Don't want to be alone for a millions years after a nuclear war while I wait for the mutants to return to human form. Also, none if that crap that happened to the two leads at the end of death becomes her. I live, I stay whole!
Yeah, you could.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 02:41 PM   #16
Antares
macrumors 68000

Location: Somewhere in the Milky Way....a little place called Chicago
1. This is an easy "yes." I would happily want to live forever.

Too bad you didn't set this up as a poll.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:19 PM   #17
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Yeah, you could.
Good. Then I'm in. This whole "everyone I love will die" thing. I'll get over it and used to it. I want to live to see what happens to the planet. Do we all grow up and become a great society a la Star Trek (no war, no poverty, no religion and hardly any black people) or do we wind up destroying everything. I'm also in for the going to the past thing. I day dream about that all the time. What stocks I would buy, where I would move to (warmer place please), how I would stop 9/11 and be a hero. How far back can I go? Quantum Leap rules or can I kill Hitler and Jesus?
Mac'nCheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:35 PM   #18
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac'nCheese View Post
Good. Then I'm in. This whole "everyone I love will die" thing. I'll get over it and used to it. I want to live to see what happens to the planet. Do we all grow up and become a great society a la Star Trek (no war, no poverty, no religion and hardly any black people) or do we wind up destroying everything. I'm also in for the going to the past thing. I day dream about that all the time. What stocks I would buy, where I would move to (warmer place please), how I would stop 9/11 and be a hero. How far back can I go? Quantum Leap rules or can I kill Hitler and Jesus?
Birth and forward. Not before birth.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:42 PM   #19
elistan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Heck yeah. One of my greatest frustrations is that I won’t be around much longer as we continue to explore our universe and learn its workings. (Assuming I can stay healthy despite your "grow old" statement. If "old but not brittle" means dementia, irritable bowel syndrome, blindness, and arthritis, but I'm safe from osteoporosis, no thanks. That's no way I'd want to live.)

Quote:
Sure, there are some regrets in life I'd like a do-over for, but given an eternal lifespan I'd have the opportunity to get it right on a second attempt, so I'll pass for fear of making something worse.
elistan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:50 PM   #20
Apple fanboy
macrumors 603

Quote:
Interesting. I would only do it if the other people I was affecting were negatively affected!

I guess it depends on your life experience. I would love to go back to a certain life changing point in my family's life.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:53 PM   #21
Phil A.
macrumors 68040

Don't think I'd want to live forever, but I would like to live for 200-300 years or so

Wouldn't want to go back in time and change the future though
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:58 PM   #22
Peace
macrumors P6

I wouldn't mind going into the future. I do NOT want to live forever.

On a side note these topics are starting to make me think Wally has reincarnated into a different user.
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:03 PM   #23
obeygiant
macrumors 68040

I would live forever but it would hurt to see all of my loved ones die.

If I could be frozen before I die and woken up later in the future with a new body or something I'd do that for sure... like benny the dog!
obeygiant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:17 PM   #24
eric/

I don't really understand why anybody would not want to live forever

What is there if not life?
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:42 PM   #25
wordoflife
macrumors 604

Did any of you guys see the movie "in time" ?
wordoflife is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion