Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:27 PM   #1
lightz39
macrumors regular

Parallels 8 gaming performance as good as it looks?

I was just watching a video on youtube of someone playing Star Wars the old republic via parallels running at 50-60 fps. I know this game isn't a monster but its one I'd like to play. Is emulation really come this far? Will having 16gb of ram help with this?
lightz39 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:20 AM   #2
Jaguarxl
macrumors member

I'm playing Borderlands 2 on parallels. Full graphics and all... I don't think I'm running at 60fps, but I can play very well without major problems.
I'm doing that until aspyr releases the new patch so I can play with my pc fellows!

That's the setup I came up to play:
Windows 8 Pro
4 cores (I have an i7 CPU)
8gb ram
1gb video
Max performance while running parallels
Jaguarxl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 11:38 PM   #3
WilliamG
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguarxl View Post
I'm playing Borderlands 2 on parallels. Full graphics and all... I don't think I'm running at 60fps, but I can play very well without major problems.
I'm doing that until aspyr releases the new patch so I can play with my pc fellows!

That's the setup I came up to play:
Windows 8 Pro
4 cores (I have an i7 CPU)
8gb ram
1gb video
Max performance while running parallels
Quick question for you. How are you running Borderlands 2 on Parallels? I can't get it to load. I fire up Steam, load the game, and nothing happens. No splash screen, nothing. It's like I never tried to run it.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 05:48 AM   #4
Dirtyharry50
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
Quick question for you. How are you running Borderlands 2 on Parallels? I can't get it to load. I fire up Steam, load the game, and nothing happens. No splash screen, nothing. It's like I never tried to run it.
I am curious why you'd bother with this when the game is Steamplay and surely the OS X version would perform better than the Windows one in a virtual machine on the same hardware.
Dirtyharry50 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2014, 08:17 AM   #5
NMF
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyharry50 View Post
I am curious why you'd bother with this when the game is Steamplay and surely the OS X version would perform better than the Windows one in a virtual machine on the same hardware.
He pretty much stated why in his post -- the Mac and PC versions of Borderlands 2 are currently segregated in multiplayer and he has friends he likes to play with on PC.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 08:44 AM   #6
saturnotaku
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMF View Post
He pretty much stated why in his post -- the Mac and PC versions of Borderlands 2 are currently segregated in multiplayer and he has friends he likes to play with on PC.
If the Mac and Windows versions of the software are the same, Steam allows for cross-platform multiplayer. This is not possible with the MAS version of the game.
saturnotaku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2014, 09:56 AM   #7
Dirtyharry50
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMF View Post
I was replying to WilliamG.
Dirtyharry50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2014, 11:13 AM   #8
madeirabhoy
macrumors 6502

i run into a basic problem when trying to play using parallels and steam. when i use parallels 9 with my boot camp partition, it works fine but internet doesnt work.

when i use it with a separate small test parallels installation internet works fine, so it must be related to bootcamp, but due to that steam wont run and games cant be played so i cant tell
madeirabhoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2014, 12:30 PM   #9
WilliamG
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyharry50 View Post
Answered indeed, below. The Mac/PC versions don't share anything.

Still no idea how to make it load in Parallels 9 + Windows 7. Very sad.
WilliamG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2014, 02:37 PM   #10
casperes1996
macrumors regular

Versions

Just to clarify a bit, because the current posts are a bit confusing (at least to me). It is possible to play cross platform trough Steam, with games like Borderlands, but only when both are on the same version. Aspyr is a bit behind when it comes to update cycles, so if a patch is released on Windows, you can't play Mac-Windows, until Aspyr updates to the same version number, even if the patch only solves Windows issues. (When the game tries to make a multiplayer session, it checks if the string for the version number is the same, and if it is not, the connection will not be made).
casperes1996 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2014, 08:18 PM   #11
Dirtyharry50
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by casperes1996 View Post
Just to clarify a bit, because the current posts are a bit confusing (at least to me). It is possible to play cross platform trough Steam, with games like Borderlands, but only when both are on the same version. Aspyr is a bit behind when it comes to update cycles, so if a patch is released on Windows, you can't play Mac-Windows, until Aspyr updates to the same version number, even if the patch only solves Windows issues. (When the game tries to make a multiplayer session, it checks if the string for the version number is the same, and if it is not, the connection will not be made).
That is a good point and I was aware of that but I thought Aspyr tends to resolve version inconsistencies in a fairly timely manner. I can see how that might be fine with me and not good enough for someone else who wants to play with friends playing the Windows version very frequently though.
Dirtyharry50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2014, 04:51 AM   #12
Janichsan
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by casperes1996 View Post
All the Borderlands 2 patches in the last year or so were released concurrently for Windows and Mac, so that issue is virtually non-existant.
Janichsan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2014, 08:31 AM   #13
casperes1996
macrumors regular

I was unaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janichsan View Post
All the Borderlands 2 patches in the last year or so were released concurrently for Windows and Mac, so that issue is virtually non-existant.
I was unaware of this. Civilization V usually has a little lag time when it comes to Mac updates, so that's what I based my comment on. I thought it was the case with BL2 as well, especially since the previous posts used it as an argument.
casperes1996 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2014, 09:43 AM   #14
roadbloc
macrumors 604

I would not reccomend gaming in a virtual machine unless the game is at least five year old.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 07:29 AM   #15
mintfan7200
macrumors member

Virtual Machines usually do not run games as good as in bootcamp , but you can still get good performance in a virtual machine it has gotten a lot better over the years but it depends on how old your mac is and how much ram and what kind of video card you have .
Old Feb 20, 2014, 08:00 AM   #16
imacken
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbloc View Post
I would not reccomend gaming in a virtual machine unless the game is at least five year old.
Can't agree with that. Two examples of games running perfectly in Parallels for me are Dishonored and Skyrim.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games