Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:29 PM   #1
swandrix
macrumors newbie

Mini ram

Just purchased the 2.6 mini with 1 TB fusion and stock ram. I'm interested in maxing out ram to 16 GB as soon as it arrives. Please recommend the best, highest quality, fastest, and most reliable/compatable RAM to purchase to install. If there's a good and trustworthy website to recommend for purchase as well I'd appreciate it.

Same questions for a 256 solid state hard drive for installation later as well.

Appreciate it! I was bummed with the new iMacs as well so trying a mini for the first time. Just looking to Mac it out without getting reamed by apple for these couple of upgrades.

Thanks!
swandrix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:05 PM   #2
philipma1957
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by swandrix View Post
Just purchased the 2.6 mini with 1 TB fusion and stock ram. I'm interested in maxing out ram to 16 GB as soon as it arrives. Please recommend the best, highest quality, fastest, and most reliable/compatable RAM to purchase to install. If there's a good and trustworthy website to recommend for purchase as well I'd appreciate it.

Appreciate it! I was bummed with the new iMacs as well so trying a mini for the first time. Just looking to Mac it out without getting reamed by apple for these couple of upgrades.

Thanks!
CRUCIAL RAM is pretty much the gold standard

here is an amazon link

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-PC3-12...ds=crucial+ram

amazon has a very good return policy. with holidays policy you have until the 31st of jan to return it... just tell them it does not work and they will pay the return shipping no questions asked.
philipma1957 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:18 AM   #3
jimbo1mcm
macrumors 65816

Ordered from Crucial-Mistake

I ordered 16GB direct from Crucial. Shipping is taking forever. Probably will end up 2-3 weeks. I've used Crucial before and it is always good. Use the Amazon in stock link.
jimbo1mcm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:04 AM   #4
limesmoothie
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo1mcm View Post
I ordered 16GB direct from Crucial. Shipping is taking forever. Probably will end up 2-3 weeks. I've used Crucial before and it is always good. Use the Amazon in stock link.
This. Amazon are quick to ship.

Make sure its the Crucial RAM - there is Komputerbay RAM on Amazon slightly cheaper but it has some negative reviews, which put me off. I've upgraded most Macs I've owned with Crucial RAM and its all been good stuff.

Enjoy your Mini.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:34 AM   #5
LaunchpadBS
macrumors 6502a

If you want the best go with the Corsair Vengeance ram, it's got 99% positive reviews and I can vouch for it's performance.

I've had issues with Crucial ram before, which is unfortunate as their customer service is great.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 06:29 AM   #6
philipma1957
macrumors 603

for solid state a samsung 830 model only because the samsung 840 is a new design. It is becoming a bit harder to find the 830 models.

here is an 840

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electr...tate+drive+830

it is not that I dislike the 840 it is new so if it has a problem in the new design nobody knows yet.

the above price is good and if you buy it amazon will take it back up to the 31st of jan 2013 just say it does not work no questions asked.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:21 AM   #7
swandrix
macrumors newbie

Thanks for all of the responses! Is the Corsair Vengeance significantly better than crucial? seems to be about twice as expensive....

As for the solid state hard drive, what's the maximum size that the 2012 mini can take for the second hard drive?
swandrix is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:58 AM   #8
philipma1957
macrumors 603

the corsair vengeance has had people on this site say it was bad. not to argue or disagree with the poster that likes it.

I have had bad corsair ssds the service for rma was good. I have used corsair ram it was also good. I have installed hundreds of sticks of ram.

My 8 2012 minis have crucial and have kingston ram. But if I saw a good price on corsair I would not be afraid of it.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 03:38 AM   #9
LaunchpadBS
macrumors 6502a

The Corsair ram I've got nothing but love for, I have however had two bad SSD's from them and would not recommend em, the Crucial SSD's on the other hand work a treat and are quite a bit cheaper then the competition, should balance out the ram price diff

As for the size, your wallet is the limit, they make 900GB SSD's now but those cost big $$$
I bought a 512GB SSD from Crucial for £320.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 03:45 AM   #10
shinji
macrumors 6502a

I upgraded to 16 gb of Corsair Vengeance. No problems here.
shinji is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 04:08 AM   #11
phoenixsan
macrumors 65816

Post I would say....

Crucial, Corsair and Kingston are reputable RAM brands, and generally coming with good warranties.

About the SSD, I know secondhand very good things about the Samsung 840 and the OCZ

Check
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=1&srchInDesc=

for some deal

Old Dec 6, 2012, 03:10 AM   #12
LaunchpadBS
macrumors 6502a

Second OCZ as a good one, they are supposed to have the longest life
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:24 PM   #13
jksu
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by swandrix View Post

Thanks!

bought the same macmini for my wife. just installed g.skill 8x2 from newegg ($50). took 2 min - love the easy access!

we have an external usb 2tb for movies and 1tb USB time machine for backup for the internal 1.12 fusion.
jksu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:26 AM   #14
ZenMoto
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinji View Post
I upgraded to 16 gb of Corsair Vengeance. No problems here.
Just installed the same. Everything is good.
ZenMoto is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:28 AM   #15
saha-med
macrumors regular

I see the corsair vengence is a 240pin ram... how is this supported as ive heard only 204pin ram is supported
saha-med is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:30 AM   #16
ZenMoto
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by saha-med View Post
I see the corsair vengence is a 240pin ram... how is this supported as ive heard only 204pin ram is supported
Maybe you're looking at the Desktop version? Not sure, but I got the Laptop Vengeance RAM and all the pins were a perfect match. Here, let me get the box...

CORSAIR DDR3 16GB
VENGEANCE

Improve your notebook PC's performance with Vengeance high-speed SODIMM memory. No configuration is required to take advantage of the higher speed - just plug it in and go.

Améliorez la performance de votre portable PC avec la mémoire SODIMM haute vitesse Vengeance. Aucune configuration n'est requise pour profiter de cette plus grande vitesse. Installez la et démarrez, tout simplement.

1600MHz
2 x 8GB

Then it has two pictures of the "Intel inside" chip icons with "CORE i5" on one and "CORE i7" on the other.

CMSX16GX3M2A1600C10

I copied that UPC and googled it, and all sorts of links popped up and should answer your questions, or direct you to a good deal. Regards.

Last edited by ZenMoto; Dec 9, 2012 at 08:33 AM. Reason: spelling
ZenMoto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:14 AM   #17
swandrix
macrumors newbie

Thanks for all of the responses. RAM should arrive today and mini on wednesday. I just went with the crucial since it seemed to be the general favorite...we'll see if I end up wishing i went conair!

Now to figure out what monitor to buy. Sounds like the Dell 2440m is everyone's favorite to balance quality with price. Is there any advantage to one hook up (DVI, VGA, etc.) over the other?
swandrix is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini