Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
As a Windows user for 20+ years who is in the process of moving to a Mac I have a number of NTFS formatted drives such as a 2.0 TB WD My Passport...I am using these drives for a number of purposes...

I have noticed that when I attach / mount these drives to my MBA some but all of the Windows hidden / system files appear...for example, when I attach / mount my 2.0 TB WD My Passport drives the files $RECYCLE.BIN and "System Volume Information" are displayed / shown...

Is there are way -- as there is in Windows -- to prevent these files from showing on the Mac or, is it as I suspect, this is not possible because while these files are Windows system files they are not OS X system files which explains why "only some" of the Windows system files appear [i.e. continuing with the above example, there are some Windows system files that do not appear on OS X which I am assuming is a result of being a system file in both Windows and OS X].

Thanks so much,

Joel

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
As a Windows user for 20+ years who is in the process of moving to a Mac I have a number of NTFS formatted drives such as a 2.0 TB WD My Passport...I am using these drives for a number of purposes...

I have noticed that when I attach / mount these drives to my MBA some but all of the Windows hidden / system files appear...for example, when I attach / mount my 2.0 TB WD My Passport drives the files $RECYCLE.BIN and "System Volume Information" are displayed / shown...

Is there are way -- as there is in Windows -- to prevent these files from showing on the Mac or, is it as I suspect, this is not possible because while these files are Windows system files they are not OS X system files which explains why "only some" of the Windows system files appear [i.e. continuing with the above example, there are some Windows system files that do not appear on OS X which I am assuming is a result of being a system file in both Windows and OS X].

Thanks so much,

Joel

This is also the other way around, if you mount a HFS+ disk in windows(With other software) it will show MacOS files as well.

What can you do about it, probably not much.
If I had access to a windows machine I would try out something for you, like make those files invisible in OS X and then look if it still works in Windows, sadly can not help you here.

Be careful if you do so, you could mess up the disk, although I think that if you mount them in OS X again and make them visible again there would be no damage.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
This is also the other way around, if you mount a HFS+ disk in windows(With other software) it will show MacOS files as well.

What can you do about it, probably not much.
If I had access to a windows machine I would try out something for you, like make those files invisible in OS X and then look if it still works in Windows, sadly can not help you here.

Be careful if you do so, you could mess up the disk, although I think that if you mount them in OS X again and make them visible again there would be no damage.

Appreciate you confirming my suspicion...I will leave things as they are...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.