Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Asquarejb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2012
I've had the unlimited data plan for non-smartphones for many years now and every time I've gotten a new phone(smartphone or not), data has worked perfectly after tweaking the APN settings. I had this plan long before 3G data was available but it even picked up 3G on the first smartphone I got(iPhone 3GS) after I pointed the APN settings correctly. I never get my phones directly from AT&T so it's not like they have changed any settings on their end that allowed the data to work on the 3 smartphones I've had since I got the non-smartphone unlimited data plan. The problem I'm having now is with LTE data. I am currently using an iPhone 5 and I am getting 4G speeds(still on my non-smartphone data plan) but I can't seem to get it to pick up LTE. I know a lot of users on this forum use the non-smartphone data plan on their smartphones and I was just wondering if anyone of them has gotten LTE to work with it on an iPhone 5 after changing the APN settings. If so, which APN settings are you using?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
No, you will not get LTE unless you upgrade your plan with AT&T to an LTE compatible data plan. If its unlimited you will be able to upgrade to the unlimited LTE data plan for iphone 5.
Without doing that and giving AT&T the IMEI number of the LTE phone you're using you will not be able to connect to their LTE network.
It doesnt matter what APN settings you change or edit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.