Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 4, 2012, 02:00 AM   #1
jjermzz
macrumors newbie

Need a clue on how a video will look in iPad

I have these accounting training videos, they are low quality, no need for hQ. Its about 38 hours divided into 200+ files, they are sectioned off by the book. Anyways my GF was thinking of getting me an iPad mini, because I would be able to view them anytime, anywhere. Since I dont own a iPad or know anyone that does I have no clue how the vids will look on the screen.

All the vids will look like this, http://youtu.be/3CIlcb4LghU ,but I have no clue if the letters and notes are viewable. Can anyone let my know if the iPad or mini iPad is sufficient for this, or if I should go straight to laptop. thanks ahead of time.
jjermzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 02:41 AM   #2
augustya
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjermzz View Post
I have these accounting training videos, they are low quality, no need for hQ. Its about 38 hours divided into 200+ files, they are sectioned off by the book. Anyways my GF was thinking of getting me an iPad mini, because I would be able to view them anytime, anywhere. Since I dont own a iPad or know anyone that does I have no clue how the vids will look on the screen.

All the vids will look like this, http://youtu.be/3CIlcb4LghU ,but I have no clue if the letters and notes are viewable. Can anyone let my know if the iPad or mini iPad is sufficient for this, or if I should go straight to laptop. thanks ahead of time.
It is simple you want portability and also want maximum performance a Laptop without a Doubt is the Obvious choice. However having said that I think you should be able to view this Videos reasonably well with clear Text in this Video on the New iPad 3/4.. I dont own a Mini but with its smaller screen size it could struggle a bit with the text that you wanna read closely as you have mentioned.

So My Choice

1. Laptop
2. iPad-3/4

now which one to decide between these options. That would be purely your choice which should include Price, Performance, Portablity (Laptop) v/s extreme Portability (iPad) and lastly what do you imagine using more.
augustya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 02:41 AM   #3
macking104
macrumors 6502

On an iPad4, the text is very small and kind of blurry-- readable, but causes eye strain/headache... the lecture is closed captioned & that is easily readable. Text would be extremely minute on a 7"-8" tablet or a smart phone.

http://twitpic.com/bixtux
macking104 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 02:46 AM   #4
Macman45
macrumors G5

Similar experience here on the 4...Text is virtually useless, so that needs changing...The video itself runs okay though.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:16 AM   #5
TJ61
macrumors 6502a

Would that whole screen be a part of the video (i.e. showing contents and run time on the left), or just the smaller video window on the right? If the latter, the text content in the video may be easily readable on an iPad -- even a Mini -- as long as the video itself has enough resolution; otherwise, no.

Regards,
Tom
TJ61 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:26 AM   #6
jjermzz
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ61 View Post
Would that whole screen be a part of the video (i.e. showing contents and run time on the left), or just the smaller video window on the right? If the latter, the text content in the video may be easily readable on an iPad -- even a Mini -- as long as the video itself has enough resolution; otherwise, no.

Regards,
Tom
The side bar with time remaining is what taking a third of the screen. I thought about before my gf bought me one. I really don't need or want one. But for this it would have been perfect, because I'm hardly home.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:38 AM   #7
D.T.
macrumors 68030

FYI, you might also think about wrapping these up into an iTunes-U type UI, so the separate videos can be put into a nice chapter presentation ... then get the original video source, recode them, remove all the chapter/time info from the video itself.

Just my $0.02
D.T. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:00 PM   #8
jjermzz
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
FYI, you might also think about wrapping these up into an iTunes-U type UI, so the separate videos can be put into a nice chapter presentation ... then get the original video source, recode them, remove all the chapter/time info from the video itself.

Just my $0.02
I wouldn't have a single clue on how to do this. So far I have used iSkysoft Video Converter to convert one of the videos from avi to mp4. But this wrapping stuff you talk about, no clue. Can anyone direct me to a online resource or tutorial about this. Thanks
Old Dec 6, 2012, 09:17 PM   #9
jjermzz
macrumors newbie

I got the mini yesterday, the pdfs look good. I converted one video and sync'd it from the itunes. The video is readable but most importantly I can listen to the instructor. I don't see myself watching the videos that much on the go. But I already got an hour of study while my GF was shopping in the mall.

Right now I trying to figure out this: I used the iBook to manage the pdf files like this one below. My problem is that the iBook views the pages individually. I need to be able to scroll the page and hide the answers. With iBook I cannot. So right now I'm searching for an app that can view the pdfs, like they usually are viewed.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf F3.3.pdf (297.9 KB, 27 views)

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad