Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

strongs

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I should be receiving my new iMac today (my first mac) as you know the new iMacs do not come with an optical drive which is fine as I never really use them anymore however I have just thought about installing the only game I play which is World Of Warcraft is it available on the Mac App store?

If NOT I assume I am going to need to purchase an external drive just to install it? :(

Kroner

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
Norway
I think Blizzard should have it avaiable for download in battle.net or their WoW site?

oaks42

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2012
WOW is playable in OS X (under Mac Client) so just choose the right client and download directly for installation.

Welcome to the world of Macs! :D

Trix10

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2011
As mentioned above, you can download WoW straight from their website, the link is

https://eu.battle.net/account/download/

If i remember rightly, you download a small file from that link, and it runs on your computer and downloads the rest of the game files, which i think runs into a few gb.

Worth it though :)

/For the Horde!

TeeZee1000

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
welcome to playing wow on a Mac, my only advice to you is dont try to play using the magic mouse. its horrible for WoW. enjoy

Scrapula

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
Buy a two button gaming mouse for WOW. It plays fine, even on old Macs. I don't like WOW. I've tried it twice, but everyone else in my family of 4 is playing constantly.

strongs

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
United Kingdom
Thanks all. It should be here hopefully within a few hours :D

Whats so bad about playing WoW with the magic mouse? :confused:

Ryan.Tanner

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
McKinney, TX
Thanks all. It should be here hopefully within a few hours :D

Whats so bad about playing WoW with the magic mouse? :confused:

As everyone said, download it from the Battle.net page. If you bought a copy of wow, you get the Mac client anyways, for free.

As for playing wow with the Magic Mouse, it is a single button mouse. So, you would lose right-click functionality in-game, like right-clicking a portrait to bring up options.

The only way to gain that functionality back is to command+click on the mouse.

rcp27

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
As for playing wow with the Magic Mouse, it is a single button mouse. So, you would lose right-click functionality in-game, like right-clicking a portrait to bring up options.

Or turn the functionality back on in the relevant settings on your mac. If you click on the right hand side of the mouse it registers it as a right click.

The two reasons not to use a magic mouse for WoW are that you can't scroll one single increment becaues of how the inertial scrolling works, and you can't click right and left at the same time (which by default makes you run in the direction you are facing), to allow you to use the keyboard for spellcasting/attacking and the mouse to run. I've used a magic mouse for WoW and actually I didn't find it that bad. The only annoying thing is having to change the batteries frequently (rechargables are a good investment).

NJelect

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2012
Truthfully, you should consider purchasing the Apple optical drive it is only around $80 US currency.

In the event you have WoW on CD/DVD I believe both the PC and mac versions are on the disc.

Sadly, you will need a magnifying glass to read the small box text but I believe I read the support for both on the end of the box.

Finally, all computers should have an optical drive; internal or external for simplicity of sharing CDs/dvds with friends etc... :)

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
@OP: Download is the preferred way to install WoW, as it must patch itself. With the DVD install you will end downloading almost the full game anyway (depending on how recent your install disk is).

Finally, all computers should have an optical drive; internal or external for simplicity of sharing CDs/dvds with friends etc... :)

Haven't used a DVD or CD in years, no idea why I should start now.

pukingpixels

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
Sweden
As everyone said, download it from the Battle.net page. If you bought a copy of wow, you get the Mac client anyways, for free.

Dude, it has been ages since Apple stopped making single button mice.

The reasons why it sucks for pretty much everything except for casual use in OSX is first of all the tracking. It skips frames and it doesn't track on a lot of surfaces.

Second, the ergonomics of the Magic Mouse is horrible. You can't play for longer sessions without feel some kind of pain in your wrist, hand or fingers.

And third, the scrolling is a pain in the a s s.

The conclusion is that it's just a really bad mouse. In my opinion that is.

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012

This is totally incorrect.

The Magic Mouse is a two button mouse. To right click just click... on the right hand side of it.

I personally dislike it (Magic Trackpad user here), but stating that it is a single button mouse is simply not true.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
This is totally incorrect.

The Magic Mouse is a two button mouse. To right click just click... on the right hand side of it.

I personally dislike it (Magic Trackpad user here), but stating that it is a single button mouse is simply not true.

I think you need to enable the right-click in the settings.

The main problem with WoW on the Magic Mouse is that left+right click (together) is pretty common, particularly in swimming/flying, and it's simply impossible. There's no configuration that lets you click 2 buttons at the same time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.