Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:14 PM   #1
Kirkle
macrumors member

Booting From SSD (USB vs TB)

When I get my new 27" I'm thinking about trying to boot from an external SSD. Now, clearly, Thunderbolt is faster than USB 3, I understand that, but what I'm wondering is if anyone here has ever done a real world comparison between the two. For example, I think one of the LaCie SSDs comes with both TB and USB connections, has anyone tried booting/running their OS from it in both modes and compared the two?

Is the difference noticeable in real world usage, and if so, how much worse is USB?
Kirkle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:26 PM   #2
majkom
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkle View Post
When I get my new 27" I'm thinking about trying to boot from an external SSD. Now, clearly, Thunderbolt is faster than USB 3, I understand that, but what I'm wondering is if anyone here has ever done a real world comparison between the two. For example, I think one of the LaCie SSDs comes with both TB and USB connections, has anyone tried booting/running their OS from it in both modes and compared the two?

Is the difference noticeable in real world usage, and if so, how much worse is USB?
USB is less reliable and CPU dependant... search mac mini section and you will find answers...
majkom is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac