Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:37 AM   #1
Delirium7
macrumors newbie

Geofencing: Specifically what is it doing?

I searched and found much of the information I was looking for, but I have a more specific question if somebody could help me.

I understand that geofencing is designed to be passive so as to not absolutely kill your phone's battery, but does it cause the phone to poll and check it's location more frequently if there are ANY fenced reminders?

For example, If I wanted to set a geofence reminder that is just for fun, meaning not pertinent to my day to day schedule, or even near me geographically (say, put a reminder to take a picture of the Golden Gate Bridge and fence it around San Francisco...although I don't live in California), does it noticeably drain battery power to the point where I shouldn't use it like that?

Thanks in advance
Delirium7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:28 AM   #2
xnickitynickx
macrumors regular

By the nature of it, yes. Having your phone do something always takes a little more power than doing nothing.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:31 AM   #3
apunkrockmonk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium7 View Post
I searched and found much of the information I was looking for, but I have a more specific question if somebody could help me.

I understand that geofencing is designed to be passive so as to not absolutely kill your phone's battery, but does it cause the phone to poll and check it's location more frequently if there are ANY fenced reminders?

For example, If I wanted to set a geofence reminder that is just for fun, meaning not pertinent to my day to day schedule, or even near me geographically (say, put a reminder to take a picture of the Golden Gate Bridge and fence it around San Francisco...although I don't live in California), does it noticeably drain battery power to the point where I shouldn't use it like that?

Thanks in advance
If I'm not mistaken the geofencing reminders use only cell tower triangulation. Data that your phone already has readily available at all times it has cell phone signal.

The battery impact of this feature is minimal as opposed to if it was GPS it'd be a large drain.
MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.4GHz|8GB|256GB
apunkrockmonk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:05 AM   #4
sulpfiction
macrumors 68020

The phone does not "check" it's location more when u have a geofenced reminder set up.
sulpfiction is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:06 AM   #5
Delirium7
macrumors newbie

That what I'm curious about. If its using triangulation data that its accessing anyway, then great.
I was wary about the phone essentially saying "oo ok we have a geofence up, time to start doing a GPS loc check every x minutes"
Delirium7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone