Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gdeusthewhizkid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
NY|NJ
Hey guys,

Im kinda kicking myself that i didnt get a 32gb ipad mini. and i settled on a ipad 2 32 gb. I go to fashion shows a lot and take behind the scenes at photo shoots and events i go to. The iphone 4s does a good job but it fills up so quickly. I dont like to carry around too much stuff and the ipad 2 is just too large. Don't get em wrong it's a great media device that since i have gotten it i haven't used my laptop as much to watch movies and surf the net. but you do have to carry it where as the ipad mini could probably fit in my jacket pocket. Im not sure what to do. :confused:

apfeljonas

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2012
Germany
I bought it off a buddy of mines. I think i am going to put it up and sell it. I have a iphone 4 16 gig. That I can put up also...

If they aren't scratched too much or have any damage you should get enough money for them to buy an iPad mini and treat yourself to some new apps, some music and some accessories.

KoukiFC3S

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2010
I just got a Mini to check out my camera photos on the go. I think it will be quite good for that.

gdeusthewhizkid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
NY|NJ
I dont think they are probably 'serious' photos meant for magazines or anything.

not for magazines.. just for behind the scenes shots for instagram and twitter. sometimes models dont want to wait forever for the touched up photos and they like those instant shots sent to their email or imessaged...

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Uh, go get yourself a point & shoot. Taking pictures with an iPhone/other smartphone is fine if you need pictures on the go. Taking pictures with an iPad/mini/other tablet is ridiculous. Trust me, people will look at you like you're an idiot if you do that.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Hey guys,

Im kinda kicking myself that i didnt get a 32gb ipad mini. and i settled on a ipad 2 32 gb. I go to fashion shows a lot and take behind the scenes at photo shoots and events i go to. The iphone 4s does a good job but it fills up so quickly. I dont like to carry around too much stuff and the ipad 2 is just too large. Don't get em wrong it's a great media device that since i have gotten it i haven't used my laptop as much to watch movies and surf the net. but you do have to carry it where as the ipad mini could probably fit in my jacket pocket. Im not sure what to do. :confused:

Sell the iPad 2 and buy a Sony RX100, or sell your iPhone 4S and ipad 2 and get a higher capacity iPhone. You can also get WiFi enabled cameras that will either uplooad your photos automatically or send them to your phone. The difference being that the photos will be better than the iPhone.

Last edited:

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Still can't get an iPad mini for my girlfriend, I ended up getting a Nexus 7 :cool:Even happier, my girlfriend is almost going to get one too

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I dont think they are probably 'serious' photos meant for magazines or anything.
Yeah I had hoped not but then again, the iPhone does take pretty damn good shots.
not for magazines.. just for behind the scenes shots for instagram and twitter. sometimes models dont want to wait forever for the touched up photos and they like those instant shots sent to their email or imessaged...

OH! Well that is good. :) I say get the mini when you can get your hands on one.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
Uh, go get yourself a point & shoot. Taking pictures with an iPhone/other smartphone is fine if you need pictures on the go. Taking pictures with an iPad/mini/other tablet is ridiculous. Trust me, people will look at you like you're an idiot if you do that.

On the contrary. Don't hold it up to your head like a camera and nobody thinks your clipboard or tablet is busy taking pictures. With the cover closed and just using the volume button for a shutter I stealthed an entire trade show.
The minis camera is miles above the iPad 2

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
On the contrary. Don't hold it up to your head like a camera and nobody thinks your clipboard or tablet is busy taking pictures. With the cover closed and just using the volume button for a shutter I stealthed an entire trade show.
The minis camera is miles above the iPad 2

It may seem passable to you, but it's still ridiculous. To avoid embarrassment, you have to go "in stealth mode" to get pictures? Stop being [deleted] and buy a proper camera. The ipad mini camera might be miles above the ipad 2 camera, but both are miles below any crappy P&S. Just try to take a picture in dim lighting.

Last edited by a moderator:

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
It may seem passable to you, but it's still ridiculous. To avoid embarrassment, you have to go "in stealth mode" to get pictures? Stop being [deleted] and buy a proper camera. The ipad mini camera might be miles above the ipad 2 camera, but both are miles below any crappy P&S. Just try to take a picture in dim lighting.

Ever hear of the photography phrase "shooting from the hip"? If you are trying to get candid shots you don't hold ANY camera up to your head. You hold it down at your waist, that way no one notices you are taking photos and they don't pose. Of course a real camera with a wide angle lens and good low-light capabilites is best, but if you want to use an iCamera so be it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012

:rolleyes:

Only in the USA where you can't take a picture with your $500 tablet. It makes perfect sense you have to go spend another $300 on a P&S camera so that you don't look like an "idiot". I think the cameras on the mini and the ipad 4 is good enough for any photography; why bring another device with you?

It may not be as ergonomic as a camcorder or P&S using an ipad 9.7, but the mini is totally legit.

gdeusthewhizkid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
NY|NJ
:rolleyes:

Only in the USA where you can't take a picture with your $500 tablet. It makes perfect sense you have to go spend another $300 on a P&S camera so that you don't look like an "idiot". I think the cameras on the mini and the ipad 4 is good enough for any photography; why bring another device with you?

It may not be as ergonomic as a camcorder or P&S using an ipad 9.7, but the mini is totally legit.

I think you make a great point...

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
You could still take pics with your 4S, and wirelessly transfer to your iPad. The 4S camera is arguably better, and has a flash.

Regards,
Tom

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Still can't get an iPad mini for my girlfriend, I ended up getting a Nexus 7 :cool:Even happier, my girlfriend is almost going to get one too

No offense, but the Nexus 7 doesn't have a rear camera so I'm not sure why you even brought it up.

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
No offense, but the Nexus 7 doesn't have a rear camera so I'm not sure why you even brought it up.

No offence but nobody even mentioned buying the iPad Mini solely due to a rear camera

Also, who takes photos with an iPad... you just look like a moron / advertising yourself to get mugged

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
No offence but nobody even mentioned buying the iPad Mini solely due to a rear camera

Also, who takes photos with an iPad... you just look like a moron / advertising yourself to get mugged

No offense, but what part of "I go to fashion shows a lot and take behind the scenes at photo shoots and events i go to. The iphone 4s does a good job but it fills up so quickly" don't you understand?

The OP wanted to get an iPad Mini with larger storage to take photos with. The whole thread was about taking photos.

Not sure how the Nexus 7 would fit in this scenario. Care to explain how it would fit in?

The iPhone is more expensive than an iPad, so wouldn't taking photos with an iPhone get you mugged too?

Last edited:

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
selling your iphone 4 16G would get you how much?

If it is enough to get ipod touch 5 then get ipod touch 5. Keep the Ipad 2 for home use. Ipod touch has 32G memory, highly portable and same camera quality as mini plus a flash double the memory at slightly cheaper price. Take out your mini to take photo will still look ridiculous.

gdeusthewhizkid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
NY|NJ
No offense, but what part of "I go to fashion shows a lot and take behind the scenes at photo shoots and events i go to. The iphone 4s does a good job but it fills up so quickly" don't you understand?

The OP wanted to get an iPad Mini with larger storage to take photos with. The whole thread was about taking photos.

Not sure how the Nexus 7 would fit in this scenario. Care to explain how it would fit in?

The iPhone is more expensive than an iPad, so wouldn't taking photos with an iPhone get you mugged too?

lol

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Just so you know, the iPad mini will fill up much quicker than the iPad 2 when taking photos. iPad 2's rear cam is <1MP versus 5MP on the Mini.

But seriously a P&S would be better in this situation. Larger sensor means less noise (iPhone is 1/2.3" versus 1/1.63" in pretty much all but high end P&S.)

And for those talking about a $300 P&S - for that price you can get a Canon S100 (Bought mine for $229 on sale) which has an even larger sensor and quite a fast lens. Plus zoom if you need it. Not to mention manual controls for if you want something more than just a snapshot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.