Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:31 AM   #1
Beardy
macrumors newbie

External Boot Drive

I've read some threads on here where people have talked about using external drives as boots drives for things like Bootcamp.

I was looking a the specs of the WD VelociRaptor on the Apple website and notice amongst the features they advertise is

Use as a lightning-fast system boot drive

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/HA...%3Dthunderbolt

Now I know that's one hugely expensive HD but can Apple be advertising that is it's not true ? From what I have read using an external drive as a boot drive is nothing something OSX supports.
Beardy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:33 AM   #2
blueroom
macrumors 603

OSX supports booting from nearly everything including the SD card. Just hold down the option key.

Want real speed; get an SSD.
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:34 AM   #3
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardy View Post
Now I know that's one hugely expensive HD but can Apple be advertising that is it's not true ? From what I have read using an external drive as a boot drive is nothing something OSX supports.
Where you read that nonsense, macs can boot from an external since forever.(Almost)
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:35 AM   #4
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Of course OS X supports booting from external drives. Just press the Option key while starting your Mac to select from available boot drives. It doesn't matter what brand or model of external drive you have.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:36 AM   #5
Carl Spackler
macrumors 6502

Quote:
From what I have read using an external drive as a boot drive is nothing something OSX supports.
You most certianly can boot OS X from an external drive. I'm currently computerless and regularly boot from an external USB2 drive on my wife's Macbook, holding down the Option key during boot up.
Carl Spackler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:38 AM   #6
xgman
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I've read some threads on here where people have talked about using external drives as boots drives for things like Bootcamp.

I was looking a the specs of the WD VelociRaptor on the Apple website and notice amongst the features they advertise is

Use as a lightning-fast system boot drive

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/HA...%3Dthunderbolt

I am going to use 2 of these. One I will replace with a boot SSD I already have and the other velociraptors for storage etc.. May be some random transfer speed loss compared to what it would do if it could be installed internally, but it really can't. At least practically. So the next best thing. Basically you setup the internal drive, clone it to the external and set in preferences to use as boot drive. The Mybook Duo's can be set to use each of the 2 drives independently.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:17 AM   #7
Beardy
macrumors newbie

Okay, so can you set up your Mac to boot up every time from an external drive or do you have to select it manually ?

So could you use one of these as a boot drive and also put a Bootcamp partition on it ?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:18 AM   #8
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Okay, so can you set up your Mac to boot up every time from an external drive or do you have to select it manually ?

So could you use one of these as a boot drive and also put a Bootcamp partition on it ?
If it's not your internal drive, I think you have to select it manually on each boot. Yes, you can put a Bootcamp partition on any drive.
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:23 AM   #9
majkom
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
If it's not your internal drive, I think you have to select it manually on each boot. Yes, you can put a Bootcamp partition on any drive.
OMG, of course you can set external drive as primary for boot and not to do that everytime manually: System preferences - startup disk - choose whichever you want...
majkom is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:26 AM   #10
EPiCDiNGO
macrumors member

My options to get bootcamp with SSD

What options do I have to run bootcamp off an SSD internal or external without paying for a 750gb overpriced option ? I have a 250gb Samsung SSD inside my 2010 MBP and the space is enough combined with an external for my movies. The bottom line is a fusion with 128gb SSD is out of the question since I cant use bootcamp and an external is also out of question as it also will not run bootcamp and I also cannot afford to pay for a 759gb option :/ The mac mini seems more and more temping

----------

Quote:
How do u put bootcamp onto an external drive ? I read it's a limitation of microsoft not allowing this ?
Soon to buy 2012 27" iMac
EPiCDiNGO is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:40 AM   #11
Beardy
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Yes, you can put a Bootcamp partition on any drive.
Definitely ?

I've order a 1TB Fusion drive because of Bootcamp. If this is really the case I am going to change to 3TB Fusion and get an external SSD for the Bootcamp partition.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:45 AM   #12
blueroom
macrumors 603

Consider getting a Synology NAS for your media files. Your SSD will boot faster than any mechanical drive.

I've got a 2010 MBP with a 180GB SSD and all my media is on the NAS. Wirelessly too. Accessible from all your computers.

Another option is pull your optical drive out and replace it with an optibay HDD.
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:02 PM   #13
Kadath
macrumors member

As of June/October you still could not bootcamp from any external drive. I see no announcement changing that. Did it?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
Kadath is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:14 PM   #14
torana355
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Definitely ?

I've order a 1TB Fusion drive because of Bootcamp. If this is really the case I am going to change to 3TB Fusion and get an external SSD for the Bootcamp partition.
You cant boot windows off an external...Stick with your 1TB fusion if you need bootcamp, or you can get the 3TB fusion and split them into logical drives and use the SSD for bootcamp and OSX.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:27 PM   #15
Kadath
macrumors member

That's my understanding as well, which is why I was questioning what looked to be a ton of misinformation in this thread.
Kadath is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 01:24 PM   #16
Beardy
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by torana355 View Post
You cant boot windows off an external...Stick with your 1TB fusion if you need bootcamp, or you can get the 3TB fusion and split them into logical drives and use the SSD for bootcamp and OSX.
Really ? Is it a hugely involved process for both those solutions ? I'm not someone used to deep diving in the OSX underworld!
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:49 AM   #17
monsieurxu
macrumors newbie

Booting Win7 external drive

Of course you could boot your mac on an USB stick (32gb). I can do it with my mbp5,5.

To do it, i'm using refit+syslinux on the stick. The third partition is ntfs the larger. I then installed win7 on this with nt6.x_fast_installer.

To boot, the trick is to reorder the hybrid mbr of the stick making ntfs partition first.

I should add that sometimes it screws my internal drive partition map. So be sure of getting a Time Machine Backup up to date.
monsieurxu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:05 AM   #18
ashleypenny
macrumors member

I've ordered the 27" iMac and wish I'd taken fusion now, but too late and don't want to cancel my order - crying out for this machine as my windows one is slow as hell and i just got a Nikon d800 so need something fast to process the 34mp raw files..

Have been looking at the LaCie rugged 120gb and would like to use that as a boot drive externally. Are there any benchmarks around how fast this is vs internal ssd? Or would it be the same? Is there definitely no way to boot it without holding a key down each time?
ashleypenny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:11 AM   #19
mihai.ile
macrumors member

The speed is the same and it is possible to configure the iMac to boot by default from a specified drive under settings.
mihai.ile is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:33 AM   #20
ashleypenny
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihai.ile View Post
The speed is the same and it is possible to configure the iMac to boot by default from a specified drive under settings.
Thanks!
ashleypenny is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac