Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
I haven't been using my phone at all today. All I did was u plug it when I got up and put it in my pocket. It seems like it is just draining so dang fast when the phone should be idle and using virtually no power at all. Anybody know what is going on?

And I have no idea why maps is number two on there. Again, all I have done is unplugged the phone and put it in my pocket and then go to my first class today. Battery drain while idle is getting ridiculous.

And on a side note, I am rooted and have SetCPU to put the CPU at its lowest clock speed when the screen is off.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-12-04-11-29-05.png
    Screenshot_2012-12-04-11-29-05.png
    160.2 KB · Views: 187

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
You should be getting better, screen has been on for 1hr 23, I have Google now, wifi, bluetooth, all location services and a live wallpaper.

Screenshot_2012-12-04-17-36-44.png

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
You should be getting better, screen has been on for 1hr 23, I have Google now, wifi, bluetooth, all location services and a live wallpaper.

Ya I should be getting better and I have no idea why. At this rate my phone will die within 20 hours without me ever having to touch it! :eek:

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Sorry totally forgot to mention. Nexus 4 running 4.2.1

Honestly, I think the Nexus 4 is affected by a batch of bad batteries like the LG Optimus G. The battery just drains really fast and doesn't hold charge well.

You might want to turn off GPS when not using it.
Also turn off Google Now to see if battery life improves.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Honestly, I think the Nexus 4 is affected by a batch of bad batteries like the LG Optimus G. The battery just drains really fast and doesn't hold charge well.

I tend to agree with this, I too think that there is something wrong with some of the batteries, others, seem to work really well, I think that for once, I fell lucky.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Bad batteries doesn't explain why apps, an app the OP claims to never have even opened that day, is using so much resources... Bad battery or not, something is amiss.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Bad batteries doesn't explain why apps, an app the OP claims to never have even opened that day, is using so much resources... Bad battery or not, something is amiss.

You'll find maps running on nearly all if not all Android devices. Settings > apps > running. If you kill it it should start back up again. If you aren't using anything it will look like its using more battery, usually it doesn't make the list....

I haven't used maps either.

aqune9a7.jpg

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007

That's why I mention Google Now.

I think google now uses google maps for location purposes, and that's why it shows up.

That's why I tell the OP to turn off Google Now and see what happens.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Looks more like the OS is doing something to me, maps is high but not to bad (used about 1% battery in 2 hours)

do you ever manually kill apps?

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
I'd say don't turn off Google now completely. Hell that's a big selling point of the phone. Just turn off the traffic card which constantly tells me how long it will take to get home. I'm not leaving work at 11 am Google lol

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I'd say don't turn off Google now completely. Hell that's a big selling point of the phone. Just turn off the traffic card which constantly tells me how long it will take to get home. I'm not leaving work at 11 am Google lol

Or the sports cards. Sports scores just aren't that pressing to me.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
So once it hit about 80%, it started draining battery at a normal level. It hit 80% around 12:30 today with nearly zero usage. Still can't figure out why it drained so fast so quickly. It doesn't make sense to me. Especially since the battery is 2100 mAh, which should be plenty.
--------------------------------

But if I am not using an app that uses GPS, why would I need to manually go in and turn off GPS? No app should be accessing it so it should be off... theoretically.

And I will try turning off Google Now. I just don't like having to change my usage patterns to fit the phone. The phone should be able to handle my usage patterns. I don't want to have to change the way I use a phone just because the phone wasn't made well.

Looks more like the OS is doing something to me, maps is high but not to bad (used about 1% battery in 2 hours)

do you ever manually kill apps?
Not with a task killer. I will often remove apps from my recent list. Just tap the bottom right button and swipe them away.

What does it say when you click on the maps icon on that page that you are showing above?
Screenshot_2012-12-04-17-58-38.png

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
It's just crazy to me that a new phone in almost 2013 needs things "shut off"

You didn't buy the device to shut everything off :confused:

I've been monitoring my phone as well like a scientist and it's very annoying.

This is one of the 3 things I miss about the iPhone :mad:

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
You want to know why your battery is going to crap? It is called "wakelocks". Your phone is constantly turning the cpu on for apps.

Download an app called GSam Battery Monitor. Once opened, click the little dock icon on the bottom left, then at the top tap the description and open the "apps with wakelocks" or something like that. You will see maps probably has about 2000 wakelocks, because you have a setting on some app requesting positional data. Bloatware from your carrier may also have a lot of wakelocks. Dump the garbage apps and find the apps requesting constant gps support (likely a weather app or something like twitter or facebook or foursquare. Adjust settings in the offending app, so it isn't requesting data every 30 seconds. Weather apps should never need to update more than every 2 to 3 hours.

Fix these issues and watch the difference in battery life triple. Wakelocks are the single biggest factor of battery drain when your phone should be in sleep mode.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
You want to know why your battery is going to crap? It is called "wakelocks". Your phone is constantly turning the cpu on for apps.

Download an app called GSam Battery Monitor. Once opened, click the little dock icon on the bottom left, then at the top tap the description and open the "apps with wakelocks" or something like that. You will see maps probably has about 2000 wakelocks, because you have a setting on some app requesting positional data. Bloatware from your carrier may also have a lot of wakelocks. Dump the garbage apps and find the apps requesting constant gps support (likely a weather app or something like twitter or facebook or foursquare. Adjust settings in the offending app, so it isn't requesting data every 30 seconds. Weather apps should never need to update more than every 2 to 3 hours.

Fix these issues and watch the difference in battery life triple. Wakelocks are the single biggest factor of battery drain when your phone should be in sleep mode.

CPUSpy shows a lot of deep sleep:
Screenshot_2012-12-04-18-58-24.png

And there is no carrier bloatware. Like I said before, I am on a Nexus 4.

Also, I shouldn't have to freaking babysit my phone just to get acceptable battery life.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
You are responsible for your settings. If you want a phone that babysits you, get the iphone. I have given you a path, if you choose to ignore it, that is your prerogative.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL

My "google services" is the only thing with a big number...860
What settings do you recommend to get better battery life?

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Also, I shouldn't have to freaking babysit my phone just to get acceptable battery life.

Agreed! I hope Google declares war on battery life like they did on lag. There is no reason why the efficient s4 pro, 2100 mAh battery shouldnt last all day. its the software. Im loving the software dont get me wrong. And im willing to put up with it for the good experience.but the iPhone 5 i just returned lasted literally twice as long.9+ hours of on screen time and 17 Off the charger.

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
going to point out I've had android devices for 3 years now and i've never had to change settings to get good battery life.

The phone just works! Not sure why any of you are getting any issues

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
You are responsible for your settings. If you want a phone that babysits you, get the iphone. I have given you a path, if you choose to ignore it, that is your prerogative.

I wish macrumors didn't take out the down vote button.

----------

Agreed! I hope Google declares war on battery life like they did on lag. There is no reason why the efficient s4 pro, 2100 mAh battery shouldnt last all day. its the software. Im loving the software dont get me wrong. And im willing to put up with it for the good experience.but the iPhone 5 i just returned lasted literally twice as long.9+ hours of on screen time and 17 Off the charger.

Ya and the iphone 5 has like a 1400 mAh battery if I remember correctly.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
I wish macrumors didn't take out the down vote button.

----------

Ya and the iphone 5 has like a 1400 mAh battery if I remember correctly.

That's right. 1440 mah. It's gotta be the software. There was a rumor of project road runner from Google that was a battery life project. I sure hope it's true.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.