Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:47 PM   #1
majkom
macrumors 6502a

Kanex hd

Hi there, does any one own Kanex HD? Is it good enough to use it with xbox and iMac? I am looking for solution how to play on xbox when TV is not available - would this little magic box save my day?

And does it eventually work with Apple TB display?

Thx.
majkom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:52 PM   #2
kaelell
macrumors 6502

does not work with TB displays

I also asked them if they are working on this but they basically just said there is no update or ETA on this. They were alleged to be working on it about 12 months ago
kaelell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:07 PM   #3
majkom
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelell View Post
does not work with TB displays

I also asked them if they are working on this but they basically just said there is no update or ETA on this. They were alleged to be working on it about 12 months ago
OMG, thats pitty, my great plan to buy mini with TBD and enjoy xbox on TBD is dead... anyways, do you have any experience with this little box, xbox and imac? any pros, any cons?

thx.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:13 PM   #4
kaelell
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by majkom View Post
OMG, thats pitty, my great plan to buy mini with TBD and enjoy xbox on TBD is dead... anyways, do you have any experience with this little box, xbox and imac? any pros, any cons?

thx.
no experience but I had the same great plans as you at one point

Watched many youtube videos of people running it on the older macs and being happy with it, only point of note that it didnt use the full resolution of the iMac nor the full capability of the PS3, only played at 720p.
kaelell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:22 PM   #5
majkom
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelell View Post
no experience but I had the same great plans as you at one point

Watched many youtube videos of people running it on the older macs and being happy with it, only point of note that it didnt use the full resolution of the iMac nor the full capability of the PS3, only played at 720p.
If this is only problem i am fine as xbox is only 720p
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:56 PM   #6
majkom
macrumors 6502a

Well, I did some research and it looks like it is compatbile only with 27 incher wothout thunderbolt... even with apple cinema display without thunderbolt... interesting
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:02 PM   #7
Stetrain
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by majkom View Post
Well, I did some research and it looks like it is compatbile only with 27 incher wothout thunderbolt... even with apple cinema display without thunderbolt... interesting
Yep. You can even get a refurbished one straight from Apple:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC007LL/A

Not much point in the Thunderbolt display if you're just hooking it to a Mini. The only real reason for the Thunderbolt display is to act as a docking station for a notebook.

Another option would be to get a nice monitor with multiple inputs (like the Dell Ultrasharp 24" or 27", the Ultrasharp 27" is the same panel as Apple's 27" displays). Then you can hook up the Mini via DVI or Displayport and hook up your Xbox via HDMI. Then all you have to do is switch sources on the display to change back and forth.
Stetrain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 06:34 PM   #8
majkom
macrumors 6502a

SO i will probably go this way: mac mini 2011 with ati card, apple cinema display and kanex or belkin solution... sounds good
Old Dec 5, 2012, 02:26 AM   #9
majkom
macrumors 6502a

Now I realised that setup with acd has problem, there is no video in on acd that means that switching between mini and xbox wont be like on imac just cmd+f2 but by switching cable from mini to xbox - that sucks;(

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac