Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBytes

macrumors bot
Original poster
Jul 5, 2003

Wired is reporting that Apple has been sending legal notices to iPod accessory vendors such as everythingipod.co.uk and iPodLife.co.uk to stop them from using the word "iPod" in their names and URLs.

Apple reportedly also threatened legal action against another iPod retailer forcing their name to be changed from iPod Essentials to MP3 Essentials.

Of note, enthusiast site, iPodLounge, recently rebranded their site and changed their name from iPodLounge to iLounge. They reason for the change was cited to be growth and expansion, but its unclear if Apple's recent iPod name interest had any part in it.

LaMerVipere

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Chicago
This seems rather excessive, no?

I mean, all these websites exist to cater to iPod users. That can only be good for Apple business wise.

dogcowx

macrumors member
May 19, 2004
And yet...

Sites with "Apple" or "Mac" in the titles or URLs are just fine and dandy. Double standard?

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
stoid said:
Maybe Apple is planning to rename the iPod at some point in the future....

Not likely, but it would be another explanation I suppose.

Yeah, that's pretty unlikely. They wouldn't send the lawyer packs after people who use "iPod", in order to save those guys the trouble in the future.

I hope I get to keep "iTunes" in my URL.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
This seems odd to me. It's not like it's trademark infringment. Sometimes Apple does things that don't make sense. :confused:

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
A tad ironic, coming from a company named after Apple Records and using it's logo subject to a major court case...

Am I the only one who's seriously starting to hate Apple (but love its products?)

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
One wonders if the site previously known as "ipodlounge.com" got one of these notices and just decided it was better not to fight Apple... they're "ilounge.com" now.

LaMerVipere

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Chicago
whooleytoo said:
A tad ironic, coming from a company named after Apple Records and using it's logo subject to a major court case...

Am I the only one who's seriously starting to hate Apple (but love its products?)

You're definitely not the only one; I'm with you.

fixyourthinking

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
Greenville SC
clayj said:
One wonders if the site previously known as "ipodlounge.com" got one of these notices and just decided it was better not to fight Apple... they're "ilounge.com" now.

Yes ... they did .. they chose a non public battle/announcement - unlike some of the other noncreative people trying to make a quick buck at Apple's expense.

mkubal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tampa
Clearly they're going to change the name of the iPod, but instead of a new name it will be known only by a symbol. A symbol which no one can pronounce so they will simply refer to them as "the music player formerly known as the iPod." So you'll get new sites popping up like http://www.themusicplayerformerlyknownastheipodlounge.com. I know, it seems like a really long site name, but what can you do, it's no longer a thing, it's an idea. And everyone will be required by buy a new rebranded (insert new iPod symbol here).

Seems likely, no? ;)

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
mkubal said:
Clearly they're going to change the name of the iPod, but instead of a new name it will be known only by a symbol. A symbol which no one can pronounce so they will simply refer to them as "the music player formerly known as the iPod." So you'll get new sites popping up like http://www.themusicplayerformerlyknownastheipodlounge.com. I know, it seems like a really long site name, but what can you do, it's no longer a thing, it's an idea. And everyone will be required by buy a new rebranded (insert new iPod symbol here).

Seems likely, no? ;)

:D I reckon it's a dead cert!!!

Wait a second, you might not believe this, but that URL is actually still available! Who'd have thunk it? :p

mkubal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tampa
whooleytoo said:
:D I reckon it's a dead cert!!!

Wait a second, you might not believe this, but that URL is actually still available! Who'd have thunk it? :p

Unfathomable really. Maybe I should buy it and then sell it later when someone really wants it. :p

carpe diem

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2005
It is Apple's right to do so if some one is making money of Apple's trademark.

It may be harsh but thats business right!

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
You have to protect your copyright otherwise anyone can use it for whatever. So it may seem heavy handed but.....

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
why the hell would apple do that everything being labled an ipod essential is or an ipod product helps apples buisness.

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
I think that the "iLounge" got a head start because they're the largest iPod-related website. They changed their name because of "expansion" reasons, nobody questions it, everything is fine.

Now this lawsuit comes up which can definitely be bad press for Apple, especially in the wake of all that ThinkSecret mess. Since nobody really knows about any other iPod websites, little press will go to the story and everyone is happy.

That's just my take.

Fishes,
narco.

garotemonkey

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2005
Heh heh heh

Gee, Apple's getting a bit jumpy with their trademark. I figured they'd at least wait until the domains "www.ipodsuck.com" or "www.ipodsucks.com" were hosting sites.

Anyone remember what happened to "www.walmartsucks.com" ? Wasn't there a big brouhaha about them?

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
This seems a bit much to me. As an earlier poster said, why not just ban the use of "Mac" in URLs as well? Why just the iPod, what makes it so special? I have agreed in the past with some of Apple's other legal endeavours, but can't say I'm on board for this one... :(

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
come on apple, if it werent for all these sites then people would get bored of just a plain old iPod. they need iPod accessories etc. if people have to start calling their sites "applemp3deviceaccessoreies.com" heh come on, as long as they arent slapping the name on a music playing device then i think they should be able to use iPod. . . . i mean, apple still uses apple, and doesnt prodduce music! heh!!

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
you'd think that apple would be happy that thier brand name has become so successful that it has become synonomous with 'digital music player' - It's like free advertising!

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
m-dogg said:
you'd think that apple would be happy that thier brand name has become so successful that it has become synonomous with 'digital music player' - It's like free advertising!
100% agreed. It's just bad press, and I can't see any good outcome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.