Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:54 PM   #1
senseless
macrumors 65816

Application specific keyboard shortcuts?

I use Account Edge for Mac for our financial records. The account selection process could be speeded up by using keyboard shortcuts.

Instead of pulling down a menu and searching for accounts, I would like to assign function keys to enter the account numbers and then tab to the next field. I used to use Quick Keys, but this does not work with newer Mac Os's like Lion. Is there something else?
senseless is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:56 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by senseless View Post
I use Account Edge for Mac for our financial records. The account selection process could be speeded up by using keyboard shortcuts.

Instead of pulling down a menu and searching for accounts, I would like to assign function keys to enter the account numbers and then tab to the next field. I used to use Quick Keys, but this does not work with newer Mac Os's like Lion. Is there something else?
You can create application-specific shortcuts by going to System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts
When you click the "+" to add a shortcut, simply select the Application it applies to from the dropdown menu at the top.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:59 PM   #3
senseless
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
You can create application-specific shortcuts by going to System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts
When you click the "+" to add a shortcut, simply select the Application it applies to from the dropdown menu at the top.
I tried that, and assigned a few function keys, but it does not work. I want it to type out "1-1500" in a field, for example, but nothing happens in the application. Thanks.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:07 PM   #4
Krazy Bill
Banned

You can't add new menu commands - only change key codes for those that are already there.
Krazy Bill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:17 PM   #5
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by senseless View Post
I tried that, and assigned a few function keys, but it does not work. I want it to type out "1-1500" in a field, for example, but nothing happens in the application. Thanks.
It sounds like you need to use a text expander, such as:
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
Maybe the following text expanding / text macro applications* can help (?):
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:19 PM   #6
senseless
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
It sounds like you need to use a text expander, such as:
Great resources; I will investigate tonight. Quick Keys no longer works in Lion/Mountain Lion.
I need something that will allow me to create a numeric string and assign it to a function key.

Thanks again!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion