Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:00 PM   #1
roccobladr
macrumors regular

Dropped iPhone 4 - won't stay on unless plugged in

Hey guys,

My girl dropped her iphone 4 at the supermarket the other day. It worked great before she dropped it and she even just put a brand new case on it. I guess the phone must have dropped at a weird angle because it won't power on unless it is plugged into the wall.

I tried doing a full restore on it and it didn't help. One thing I did notice though is that the wifi does not work. The wifi on/off toggle is grayed out and wouldn't respond.

Called apple and they had no advice for me. It is a refurb unit.

My only thoughts is that the battery must have came loose on impact and probably loosened the wifi chip/whatever it is as well?

I have fixed computer hardware a bunch of times in the past so I might try to give this a shot since it seems pretty simple to get to the battery.

This ever happen to anyone else before?

Cliffs:
-iphone dropped with case on
-won't stay turned on unless plugged in
-wifi doesn't work either
-not a software issue
roccobladr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:43 PM   #2
roccobladr
macrumors regular

Not getting any replies but I'll update this anyway in case anyone out there has the same problem.

I tried simply taking the battery out and putting it back in, thinking that perhaps it was knocked out of place. Unfortunately this did not solve any problems. I was still only able to power it back up on the wall charger only and still "searching..." for a wifi signal, so the wifi still seems busted.

Not sure why this might work, but just ordered another battery and I will try swapping it out and see what happens. Just wouldn't make much sense for a battery to go bad after being dropped on the ground.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 09:56 PM   #3
greenchiliman
macrumors 6502

If that doesn't work, you might want to send it to a place like mission repair for a diagnosis
greenchiliman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:07 PM   #4
0dev
macrumors 68040

If you took the battery out you've just voided your warranty, you might have been able to get away with obtaining a free replacement if you didn't mention it was dropped but good luck getting Apple to fix it now...

Best bet is to take it to a shop you trust that does repairs and see how much they quote you.
0dev is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:32 PM   #5
XboxMySocks
macrumors 68000

99% sure that your battery and antenna have come unfastened. They are almost the same spot on the motherboard.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 07:11 AM   #6
roccobladr
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0dev View Post
If you took the battery out you've just voided your warranty, you might have been able to get away with obtaining a free replacement if you didn't mention it was dropped but good luck getting Apple to fix it now...

Best bet is to take it to a shop you trust that does repairs and see how much they quote you.
The refurb warranty is already expired or else that would have been my first choice.
EDIT: Just out of curiosity...how would they even know? when I unscrewed it there was no type of sticker or anything on the battery that would have to be broken or anything. The battery was also pretty loose anyway (I assume because of the fact that it is a refurb and the battery was probably replaced before anyway.)
----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by XboxMySocks View Post
99% sure that your battery and antenna have come unfastened. They are almost the same spot on the motherboard.
so are you thinking that it isnt the spot where the battery is connected but the spot where that whole contraption is secured to the mobo?
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:08 AM   #7
0dev
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccobladr View Post
The refurb warranty is already expired or else that would have been my first choice.[COLOR="#808080"]
EDIT: Just out of curiosity...how would they even know? when I unscrewed it there was no type of sticker or anything on the battery that would have to be broken or anything. The battery was also pretty loose anyway (I assume because of the fact that it is a refurb and the battery was probably replaced before anyway.)
Fair enough. And they have hidden sensors which change colour under UV light I believe, I remember reading that somewhere. Also I think there is meant to be a warranty sticker over the battery.
0dev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 03:48 PM   #8
roccobladr
macrumors regular

so a little update...

Decided to try my luck at the Apple store. Told them what was wrong and he said that it sounded like the battery was loose. Went to the back for 10 mins and came back out and works brand new. Pretty sure I was out of warranty and everything but he didn't seem to care.

Now I got a tool and extra battery in case anything happens again!
Old Jul 1, 2014, 10:26 AM   #9
mruxsaksriskul
macrumors newbie

Try this

My phone had starting exhibiting the same behavior after dropping it I eventually found that applying pressure to the bottom right of the phone resolved the problem. I tried applying a binder clip over the area and the phone started working as expected. It seems like there is some kind of contact not being made with the battery and the pressure is perhaps closing that gap. In the end this provided me a working phone until I can get a replacement.

Thanks,

Mike
mruxsaksriskul is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 06:01 PM   #10
DeeDee21
macrumors newbie

Thanks soooo much.I'm not too big on fixing phones & all the other post kept stating I need to replace the battery,but I did as you said I put pressure at the bottom of my phone for about 5 seconds and it instantly went from 13 to 14 percent you saved the day & saved me money
DeeDee21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 08:14 AM   #11
Cicatrix46
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccobladr View Post
Hey guys,

My girl dropped her iphone 4 at the supermarket the other day. It worked great before she dropped it and she even just put a brand new case on it. I guess the phone must have dropped at a weird angle because it won't power on unless it is plugged into the wall.

I tried doing a full restore on it and it didn't help. One thing I did notice though is that the wifi does not work. The wifi on/off toggle is grayed out and wouldn't respond.

Called apple and they had no advice for me. It is a refurb unit.

My only thoughts is that the battery must have came loose on impact and probably loosened the wifi chip/whatever it is as well?

I have fixed computer hardware a bunch of times in the past so I might try to give this a shot since it seems pretty simple to get to the battery.

This ever happen to anyone else before?

Cliffs:
-iphone dropped with case on
-won't stay turned on unless plugged in
-wifi doesn't work either
-not a software issue

Just wanted to say that WHOA--two years later and I have this EXACT same problem!!! Thanks for the heads up, there's no way of fixing this yourself is there? :/ Anyway, hope everyone is well!
Cicatrix46 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting