Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazydawg807

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2011
Just upgraded to an iPad 4 from iPad 1, and last night I put some videos on my iPad using the VLC player app. I went to open the app today, and it keeps crashing. Any other apps out there that plays videos tha you recommend? Most of my videos are in avi format. Thanks

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Just upgraded to an iPad 4 from iPad 1, and last night I put some videos on my iPad using the VLC player app. I went to open the app today, and it keeps crashing. Any other apps out there that plays videos tha you recommend? Most of my videos are in avi format. Thanks

1, don't use the iOS version of VLC, it sucks in almost every respect.

2, AVI? Are they low-res ones? Then, there's a plethora of decent players to play them back: GoodPlayer, It's Playing are the two best.

HOWEVER! Before purchasing any of these apps, check the audio tracks of your AVI's. If they're AC-3 (many AVI's have AC3 tracks), then, don't purchase those players but come back and I recommend alternative (but generally not as good as GoodPlayer / It's Playing) players.

crazydawg807

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2011
I would prefer something free. I use the VLC app on my iphone all the time and never had a problem

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I would prefer something free.

Currentl, a complicated question as Apple / Dolby have censored out several top, free titles like QQPlayerHD. Probably the best free title is MoliPlayer now. (Review: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1492051/ )

Nevertheless, you'll really want to purchase a "real" player instead. Start with the It's Playing + GoodPlayer combo, they cover almost everything, every possible scenario. Except for AC-3 playback, of course - for that, you'll need to jailbreak or convert your files with AC-3 audio.

I use the VLC app on my iphone all the time and never had a problem

It still has a very bad and inefficient set of codecs and is absolutely void of features. Just take a look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf-cGxTdCZQ

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.