Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:04 PM   #76
Usehername
macrumors member

So what if its updated, it still plays like crap. Sticking with jasmine.
Usehername is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:04 PM   #77
Defender2010
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
There was no reason for Apple not to include this in iOS 6. Apple has nothing that competes with this. The only reason I can think off it's that it's a 3rd party app, and Apple doesn't want to ship with 3rd party apps. Would it hurt Apple to ship with the most popular 3rd party apps like YouTube, Facebook and Twitter?
Really, how hard is it for you to just download the app?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:05 PM   #78
Poob Bubes
macrumors 6502

Hmm... Jasmine with no video Ads or YouTube app with plenty of Ads... pretty easy decision for me.
Poob Bubes is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:06 PM   #79
Defender2010
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
I was about to thank Google... but no HDMI-out! (On my iPad 2.) I still cannot show YouTube properly to people via TV, the way I could with Apple’s app!

Mirroring is enabled, but you end up with low-res video in the middle of a sea of black: bars on all 4 sides. Not true video-out. See Apple’s Videos app for video output done right.

I’d hoped if they enabled AirPlay they’d have enabled video out by HDMI and VGA as well.
Why not use an Apple TV? Cables and video are so last decade!
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:09 PM   #80
HMI
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanist1000 View Post
Why is video buffering so slow? My Internet connection is more than capable. iPhone 5 by the way.
Probably because google wants to stalk your viewing habits, but that's really just an assumption.
HMI is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:10 PM   #81
Technarchy
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poob Bubes View Post
Hmm... Jasmine with no video Ads or YouTube app with plenty of Ads... pretty easy decision for me.
Agreed.

Jasmine is still the better experience.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is online now   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:11 PM   #82
miamialley
macrumors 68020

I'm confused. When I search the app store on my iPad nothing from YouTube comes up.

Edit: Never mind, shows up now.

Last edited by miamialley; Dec 4, 2012 at 07:17 PM.
miamialley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:18 PM   #83
Aspasia
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poob Bubes View Post
Does Jasmine offer the same music videos that YouTube does? When I first tried Jasmine, there was a notation that it could not, so I dumped it. Has that changed?[COLOR="#808080"]
Aspasia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:19 PM   #84
The Phazer
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by trunten View Post
editting as I sounded up my own arse.....

It seems like any app can play music in the background. I have pasted some info from developer.apple.com for reference.
Audio /= video.

You can use audio APIs to play in the background, but you can't use them to play the audio from video files.
The Phazer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:19 PM   #85
zeiter
macrumors 6502

can someone try to airplay to an apple tv the youtube live stream of Aljazeera and tell me if it works and you see the stream on your tv? thank you
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:24 PM   #86
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspasia View Post
Does Jasmine offer the same music videos that YouTube does? When I first tried Jasmine, there was a notation that it could not, so I dumped it. Has that changed?
I can't install Jasmine since it won't run on iOS 5, but I'm guessing not. The whole thing is the studios collect a portion of the ad revenue. And only the official google app displays those ads.

Now that said, many of those music videos can be accessed through the VEVO app.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phazer View Post
Audio /= video.

You can use audio APIs to play in the background, but you can't use them to play the audio from video files.
At the very least apps which use the native video player can play the audio portion in the background. I've confirmed that with numerous apps, both first and third party.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:28 PM   #87
bushido
macrumors 603

is ads on youtube an US thing only? i never seen an ad on youtube on any of my devices
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:36 PM   #88
joelovesapple
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferaniston View Post
as Martha explained I'm blown away that a stay at home mom can get paid $5145 in 4 weeks on the computer. have you seen this page
Quote:
Originally Posted by bru789 View Post
as Adam implied I'm shocked that you able to earn $7328 in one month on the internet. did you look at this page C
Oh please. Go and spam elsewhere.

Anyway, back on topic: It's funny this should be released today because I was talking about this very app on Facebook today!
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:38 PM   #89
Rogifan
macrumors G3

How do you know if video is "HD" or not? And is there a way to search based on number of views or upload date?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:38 PM   #90
danranda
macrumors newbie

Better User Experience

Quote:
There was no reason for Apple not to include this in iOS 6. Apple has nothing that competes with this. The only reason I can think off it's that it's a 3rd party app, and Apple doesn't want to ship with 3rd party apps. Would it hurt Apple to ship with the most popular 3rd party apps like YouTube, Facebook and Twitter?
Apple may have had other reasons in addition to this one, but by removing the youtube app from the onboard apps allows google to take over the design and programming of the app for their own service. This also allows google to update the app at will (previously, you'd have to wait for an iOS updated in order to update just youtube, which means the app as apple maintained it was less likely to receive TIMELY updates). What does this mean to the end user? a better experience. Anytime google comes up with a new feature for YouTube, They can update the app immediately and therefore deliver a better product to it's users.

This is a good thing. Get over it.
danranda is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:38 PM   #91
zorinlynx
macrumors 68030

Wow, this app kind of sucks.

Half the videos in my favorites are "Not available on this platform" even though they play fine through the third party client Jasmine.

Why the hell does YouTube do that anyway? What's the difference between watching a video on an iPad and on a computer? It's the same video!
zorinlynx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:42 PM   #92
joelovesapple
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post
Wow, this app kind of sucks.

Half the videos in my favorites are "Not available on this platform" even though they play fine through the third party client Jasmine.

Why the hell does YouTube do that anyway? What's the difference between watching a video on an iPad and on a computer? It's the same video!
I always wondered this as well! Then, if you go to a website and select desktop site, you can play the video anyway! (on my android at least, hah )
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:43 PM   #93
TechieGeek
macrumors member

Quote:
This, Gmail was just updated, and now we just need Maps. Why switch to Android when I got all the goodies on iOS?
Honestly, I tried iPhone for a month, and I missed Swype, the battery life was lower out of the box (the screen lights up for every notification, etc), Gmail had an app but it was sluggish and the default mail app couldn't deliver only my priority inbox, the camera took three or four seconds to open (in comparison to less than one second on the HTC One series I had after the iPhone, and the Galaxy S3 I had after the One), and no notification LED.

Just my opinion
TechieGeek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:45 PM   #94
Tsuchiya
macrumors 65816

Huzzah! About time.

What the **** was Apple thinking taking it out of iOS in the first place?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:46 PM   #95
WestonHarvey1
macrumors 68000

Oh, hey, still no volume slider! That's great! Love that innovation, Google!
WestonHarvey1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:47 PM   #96
joelovesapple
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestonHarvey1 View Post
But there are physical buttons on the actual device...
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:47 PM   #97
Glassed Silver
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoni View Post
Why can't you choose quality of stream like on the mobile site. I hate when apps try to figure out quality of stream based on network connection.
This a trillion times

Glassed Silver:mac
Last login: Sat May 5 22:52:51 on ttys000
Society-System:~ dumbnut$ rm -rf ~/Library/mind.db ~/Library/Frameworks/tolerance ~/Library/Frameworks/commonsense ~/integrity ~/individuality
Glassed Silver is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:47 PM   #98
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestonHarvey1 View Post
What? Guess I'll be back to YouPlayer.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:47 PM   #99
zorinlynx
macrumors 68030

Quote:
This, Gmail was just updated, and now we just need Maps. Why switch to Android when I got all the goodies on iOS?
Ya know it's funny, but I've been traveling a lot lately, and have used Apple Maps quite a bit, and the more I use it, the more I find myself liking it.

This past weekend it took me to every destination I needed to go to, and it did so efficiently. It's also a lot smoother and user-friendly than the TomTom app I used to use (which is still available in case Apple Maps fails me)

For public transit, HopStop is better than Google Maps anyway. You can even get HopStop directions from inside Apple Maps by tapping the transit button and choosing it!

So things aren't so bad after all. And I will note I was one of the ones who raised a huge fuss about it all when iOS 6 came out!
zorinlynx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:55 PM   #100
TM WAZZA
macrumors 68000

And you still can't view messages -_-
TM WAZZA is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion