Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:28 AM   #201
yakapo
macrumors regular

At&t finally started letting you use facetime via lte and now youtube is back.

I don't think there's any reason to jailbreak my wife's ipad anymore.

Only thing we're missing now is google maps.
yakapo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:29 AM   #202
sindekit
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post
I'm callling BS (again).

The latest version Jasmine had to have background audio removed at the request of Google's minions:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jasm...554937050?mt=8

This isn't something Google can't figure out, this is something Google doesn't want iOS users to be able to do. Quit while you're behind and stop making up excuses for them.
So it was intention for Chrome to not allow me to play music while not being in chrome?! That's uncool and makes me pretty disappointed in Google.
sindekit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:42 AM   #203
KdParker
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanist1000 View Post
Why is video buffering so slow? My Internet connection is more than capable. iPhone 5 by the way.
Works fine for me. Not lag at all.
KdParker is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:19 PM   #204
Blakjack
macrumors 65816

Now if we could just get that Google maps app back in the store. Then life would be good again in the iOS world.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:59 PM   #205
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindekit View Post
So it was intention for Chrome to not allow me to play music while not being in chrome?! That's uncool and makes me pretty disappointed in Google.
For Chrome, it's not under Google's control. UIWebView is the one responsible for media playback in an iOS "browser", and so if UIWebView does not enable audio playback in the background, it just won't happen in 3rd party browsers.

Mobile Safari does not use UIWebView.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 01:21 PM   #206
jabingla2810
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhySoSerious View Post
Here's why I like the YouTube app:

It allows you to watch a video and scroll through comments or suggested/related videos at the same time.

On all other apps and even the YouTube mobile site through Safari, you can't do this. I enjoy clicking on a video and while the video rolls, browse all the view comments and contribute my own. It's more engaging than watching a video, then stop video to go read comments, see a comment that says "this part was great" or "time stamp X:XX is really good!" and having to go reload the video to see it again.

No other app does this. That is what made, IMO, the original Apple YouTube app great. And now this Google YouTube app has retained this feature.

Much better than some "in the background playing" feature. To me, YT is about interataction, and this is a key feature.
There have been a few other apps that do this.

McTube for one, which does it even better. You can explore other areas of Youtube while the video continues, not just read comments and related videos.

It also does background audio and background airplay which this one can't.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 01:26 PM   #207
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWRX View Post
For Chrome, it's not under Google's control. UIWebView is the one responsible for media playback in an iOS "browser", and so if UIWebView does not enable audio playback in the background, it just won't happen in 3rd party browsers.

Mobile Safari does not use UIWebView.
I can play audio in the background with iCab. So clearly it's not a limitation to UIWebView.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 01:30 PM   #208
irnchriz
macrumors 6502a

If I have to visit YouTube I do it through safari on the iPad. No need for any app.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 01:40 PM   #209
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by APlotdevice View Post
I can play audio in the background with iCab. So clearly it's not a limitation to UIWebView.
Indeed, why I said "if" since I didn't want to look it up, but your post made me curious. This StackOverflow post explains how to do it :

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...ers-background
Old Dec 5, 2012, 05:21 PM   #210
token787
macrumors regular

Thaaaank You Google
token787 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 05:57 PM   #211
RobHague
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by olufsen69 View Post
On a side note, I wish Apple would let us uninstall apps that they include but I have no interest in using, Newstand, for instance. You can't even move it to a folder and hide the thing.
Newstand is not too bad. I mean there are free mags so its not a totally pointless even if you dont want to buy anything, however Apps like Compass?! Why do we need that by default?
RobHague is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:28 PM   #212
Chrisg2014
macrumors regular

I wish I knew where my iPad was... It's been lost in my room for 2 months and I can't find it ANYWHERE!
Chrisg2014 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:27 PM   #213
jrodsep
macrumors 6502

Has anyone noticed that the ads that play before the video always run at the highest quality possible even on 3G? And if you are in 3G the video that follows gets the quality lowered.
jrodsep is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:31 PM   #214
John.B
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodsep View Post
Has anyone noticed that the ads that play before the video always run at the highest quality possible even on 3G? And if you are in 3G the video that follows gets the quality lowered.
The video automatically gets limited to low quality if you are on cellular data, even LTE, no matter how fast your connection is. Funny (as in "ironic") that they would choose to burn through your data plan for ads but not content...
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:56 PM   #215
charlesdayton
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by baryon View Post
But I mean it's been in beta for ages now, I think they should be speeding it up and pushing it as a finished, default player now, it would be great.

Gmail stayed in Beta for 5 years.
charlesdayton is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 03:19 PM   #216
thedeejay
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Maps.google.com doesn't work?
It does, I personally don't like it. Kinda like how I never liked m.youtube.com; to each his own I guess
thedeejay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:59 PM   #217
John.B
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Nevermind. No HD/SD switching. No background audio. The usual Googleplex half-measures.
WTF, Google? Chrome for iOS gets background audio, but the YouTube app doesn't?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chrome/id535886823

Quote:
What's New in Version 23.0.1271.96

Allow sound to play when app is backgrounded
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:12 PM   #218
Lara F
macrumors 6502a

My guess is blame the music studios who want to prevent teens from listening to all their music on YouTube.
Lara F is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:16 PM   #219
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:

Not the same developers. This is a good sign that the Youtube App will probably get it in the near future.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:43 PM   #220
hgrimberg
macrumors 6502

New maps is only available for the iphone, not for ipads.
hgrimberg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:09 PM   #221
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

Quote:

Jasmine app is the answer
rMBP'12, iMac'08/24", Mini'09, MBP'10/15", MBA'11/13". iPhone: 6+/128/sg, 5s/64S 5/64B, 4S/64W, 4/32B, 3GS/16. iPT: 3G,1G. iPad: Air,Mini2,4,3/LTE/64 2/3G/32, 1/WiFi/16. ATV'12,'11, AEBS'09, TC'13/2TB
haruhiko is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:47 AM   #222
John.B
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhiko View Post
Jasmine app is the answer
Yeah, I even had the iTunes store link to Jasmine in my signature for a while, but took it out after Google strong-armed Jason Morrissey into removing basic background audio functionality:

Quote:
Release Notes: Jasmine 1.0.3
------------------------

✤ The Bad:

These changes were requested by YouTube/Google Inc.

x Removed Automatic "Background Audio" playback. Native to iOS, this can still be invoked manually by double-tapping the home button, swiping right and hitting play
x Removed customisable skip/rewind controls
x Switched to YouTube compliant playback (adds 1-2 seconds to video load times and limits refinement around playlist auto-queueing)
Fortunately, I still have an older version, but someone new to Jasmine can only download the neutered 1.0.3 version.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion