Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:29 PM   #1
Siderz
macrumors 6502a

Is the LaCie Slim Blu-ray USB 3.0 compatible with Mountain Lion?

I should hopefully be getting the new iMac tomorrow afternoon.

Apple got rid of the disc drive in it, and I thought, if I'm going to spend 65 on their external disc drive, I might as well look elsewhere and get a Blu-ray drive.

I like the look of this - http://www.lacie.com/uk/products/product.htm?id=10602

It's USB 3, burns Blu-rays, very importantly USB powered, and it's by LaCie, so I assume it's very good.

However, clicking on specifications has no mention of OSX, only Windows XP through to Windows 8.

I saw a YouTube video of someone using the exact same device on a Mac, the only difference being the box claimed it was Mac compatible and it was USB 2.0. I've also seen other external Blu-ray players which claim to only be Windows compatible, but others have said that theirs worked on a Mac.

If this isn't Mac compatible, what other options are there? Preferably bus powered. I really don't have the room for an extra wire.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 01:42 PM   #2
aarmstrong27
macrumors regular

I think so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siderz View Post

Apple got rid of the disc drive in it, and I thought, if I'm going to spend 65 on their external disc drive, I might as well look elsewhere and get a Blu-ray drive.

It's USB 3, burns Blu-rays, very importantly USB powered, and it's by LaCie, so I assume it's very good.

However, clicking on specifications has no mention of OSX, only Windows XP through to Windows 8.

I saw a YouTube video of someone using the exact same device on a Mac, the only difference being the box claimed it was Mac compatible and it was USB 2.0. I've also seen other external Blu-ray players which claim to only be Windows compatible, but others have said that theirs worked on a Mac.

If this isn't Mac compatible, what other options are there? Preferably bus powered. I really don't have the room for an extra wire.
From what I can find in the user guide, it looks like it is Mac compatible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-12-05 at 1.40.55 PM.png
Views:	713
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	381730  
aarmstrong27 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 01:44 PM   #3
aarmstrong27
macrumors regular

Another pic

Here's another shot of the FAQs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-12-05 at 1.43.37 PM.png
Views:	650
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	381731  
aarmstrong27 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 01:48 PM   #4
Siderz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarmstrong27 View Post
From what I can find in the user guide, it looks like it is Mac compatible.
Ah, thanks a lot for doing the work for me.

I think I was trying to load that earlier and it wouldn't load.

I guess I'll get it then.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 02:16 PM   #5
cmChimera
macrumors 68000

This is pretty cool. It'd be nice to rip some blurays to my external and watch them when I'm traveling.
cmChimera is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:04 PM   #6
blaqman
macrumors newbie

Wink yes it works

I have a new 27" imac with this drive, and it works beautiful with VLC native playback.
blaqman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:39 PM   #7
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

I've had a Blu-Ray burner in my Mac Pro's for years (LG). OS X has been able to play and rip Blu-Ray's for a few years with third party app's. I'd state it's well worth the money.
bedifferent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:10 AM   #8
ppywong
macrumors newbie

Clarification

I'm visiting Hong Kong at the moment and am considering purchasing this drive.

I'm going to plug a drive into my upcoming purchase of the new 27" iMac so to primarily watch blu-ray (have no plans to write but may do so in the future).

The issue I have is that the price of this baby in HK is about $70 (AUD) cheaper than buying it in Aus.

Can I just confirm with everybody that this drive will work with the iMac (and sometimes with a 2011 Macbook Air), both running 10.8.

Also what software would i need to effectively read the blu ray discs? I know I need Toast Titanium to burn, but what about read?

Thanking all for answering my questions in advance!
ppywong is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:18 PM   #9
tejota1911
macrumors regular

Works great for me. I just ripped a BD with it last night.
tejota1911 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 08:14 AM   #10
DudeDad
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejota1911 View Post
Works great for me. I just ripped a BD with it last night.
Is it powered with just one USB 3 port on your mac or do you require 2? I have a late 2012 mac mini and it powers the apple combo drive with one 3.0 port....I would rather not have to use 2 to power it.
DudeDad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 08:14 AM   #11
Maccanaut
macrumors newbie

I have the new 27inch iMac, upgraded from i5 to i7. I have toast titanium 11 with the bluray plugin, and this Lacie slimline bluray USB 3 writer.
The iMac doesnt recognise the Lacie writer. I hate it. Im going to throw petrol on it tomorrow and set it alight, while chanting 'death to Lacie death to Lacie'.
Is there any reason why I shouldnt? Can anyone tell me why the heck it wont recognise it?
Ok...im not really that impatient...and i promise i wont set fire to it. But it'd be nice to get some use out of it

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeDad View Post
Is it powered with just one USB 3 port on your mac or do you require 2? I have a late 2012 mac mini and it powers the apple combo drive with one 3.0 port....I would rather not have to use 2 to power it.
It comes with 2 usb connections, but the second connection is only required to be used when there is insufficient power output from the comp. i think the new imac can supply enough power using just one of the usb connections on the bluray. Others may confirm or contradict this, though im pretty sure thats what i read somewhere.
Maccanaut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 09:17 PM   #12
LaCieTech
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siderz View Post

Hi,

Yes it should work on a newer Mac. The reason we specify Windows on that model is because that's the software that comes with it and its USB only -which until moderately recently, Mac did not support natively. If you buy that version it will not have OSX authoring or playback software in the box.

However, as long as your Mac has native USB 3.0 support and you have all the appropriate software already there shouldn't be an issue.

~mn, LaCie
LaCieTech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 10:53 PM   #13
Maccanaut
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCieTech View Post
Hi,

Yes it should work on a newer Mac. The reason we specify Windows on that model is because that's the software that comes with it and its USB only -which until moderately recently, Mac did not support natively. If you buy that version it will not have OSX authoring or playback software in the box.

However, as long as your Mac has native USB 3.0 support and you have all the appropriate software already there shouldn't be an issue.

~mn, LaCie

Im using roxio toast titanium 11 with bluray plugin, but it's not recognising the lacie unit. My new imac wont recognise it. It shows in the system file under usb, but the units not recognised in any program i use. I even tried dragonburn, another one that was suggested would work.
I bought the imac, the lacie, and the software for the sole purpose of transferring a couple hundred DV tapes onto bluray disc. I was told its a great setup for this.
Lacie support say its the software. Apple dont wanna know about it, and roxio are yet to get back to me with a response that will likely be fingerpointing elsewhere.
If I cant get it happening inside another 2 weeks I'll look at returning the lot to all the respective suppliers. Im serious.....theres not a lot of use for all this stuff if it doesnt do what its purchased for. I already have ipad, laptop and a pc.

In the end though, Im pretty sure we'll get there. Ive been at it pretty hard for 2 weeks already and im sure its some simple fix, but its hard when theres 4 parties involved (apple, lacie, roxio and myself) and no one wants to spend the time sorting it when it could be the other parties 'fault'. Thats understandable, but im also the customer who bought the setup thats supposed to work.

There......ive vented
Old Apr 17, 2013, 09:53 PM   #14
LaCieTech
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccanaut View Post
Im using roxio toast titanium 11 with bluray plugin, but it's not recognising the lacie unit. My new imac wont recognise it. It shows in the system file under usb, but the units not recognised in any program i use. I even tried dragonburn, another one that was suggested would work.
I bought the imac, the lacie, and the software for the sole purpose of transferring a couple hundred DV tapes onto bluray disc. I was told its a great setup for this.
Lacie support say its the software. Apple dont wanna know about it, and roxio are yet to get back to me with a response that will likely be fingerpointing elsewhere.
If I cant get it happening inside another 2 weeks I'll look at returning the lot to all the respective suppliers. Im serious.....theres not a lot of use for all this stuff if it doesnt do what its purchased for. I already have ipad, laptop and a pc.

In the end though, Im pretty sure we'll get there. Ive been at it pretty hard for 2 weeks already and im sure its some simple fix, but its hard when theres 4 parties involved (apple, lacie, roxio and myself) and no one wants to spend the time sorting it when it could be the other parties 'fault'. Thats understandable, but im also the customer who bought the setup thats supposed to work.

There......ive vented
You already spoke with our support? Can I have your ticket number with us and I'll look at what we said. Titanium is the app we used to bundle with the burners so it should work. Unless the device is defective in some way, you should be having no issues with your applications so I'd like to find a way to resolve this.

You can find your ticket number on the support tab of www.lacie.com/mystuff

~mn, LaCie
Old Apr 18, 2013, 06:28 PM   #15
Maccanaut
macrumors newbie

Quote:
You already spoke with our support? Can I have your ticket number with us and I'll look at what we said. Titanium is the app we used to bundle with the burners so it should work. Unless the device is defective in some way, you should be having no issues with your applications so I'd like to find a way to resolve this.

You can find your ticket number on the support tab of www.lacie.com/mystuff

~mn, LaCie
Yes no problem. 102608775 is my ticket number.
Thanks for any help.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 07:06 PM   #16
Maccanaut
macrumors newbie

I get an 'Interface error code 32054 The connection is not stable' Cable problem maybe?
Old Apr 19, 2013, 12:58 PM   #17
LaCieTech
macrumors member

Quote:
I get an 'Interface error code 32054 The connection is not stable' Cable problem maybe?

That error points to a connection issue. I can see from your support ticket (102608775) that we are replacing the USB 3.0 cable. That is certainly the next best step. Have a great weekend!
Old Apr 19, 2013, 03:40 PM   #18
stchman
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to stchman Send a message via Yahoo to stchman Send a message via Skype™ to stchman
I was under the impression that Apple does not support BluRay at all.
stchman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 03:07 AM   #19
Maccanaut
macrumors newbie

Quote:
That error points to a connection issue. I can see from your support ticket (102608775) that we are replacing the USB 3.0 cable. That is certainly the next best step. Have a great weekend!
Yes. Disappointing when i could have bought a burner at half the price of the lacie, but opted for the lacie after reading that they are a higher quality unit. Still...these things can happen I suppose. One thing I strongly disagree with, is that if the unit needed to go back and was found to be faulty, freight should not have to be paid by the customer. If there is no drop off point in melbourne, thats lacies problem I think. If i sent the unit back and it was found not to be faulty, I'd accept freight both ways.
Anyway, lacie are sending the cable as u say, and i do believe that will fix the problem too. Fingers crossed.
Thanks for ur help too by the way.
Michael

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by stchman View Post
I was under the impression that Apple does not support BluRay at all.
Install roxio toast titanium 11 with the additional bluray plugin, and that is great apparently. Says me, who's having headaches with it
But I know it WILL work soon.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 01:14 PM   #20
stchman
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to stchman Send a message via Yahoo to stchman Send a message via Skype™ to stchman
Quote:
Install roxio toast titanium 11 with the additional bluray plugin, and that is great apparently. Says me, who's having headaches with it
But I know it WILL work soon.
Another instance of something "just working" on a Mac.
stchman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 06:33 AM   #21
Maccanaut
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stchman View Post
Another instance of something "just working" on a Mac.
No not at all. Its a minor technical issue unrelated to the mac itself. Suspect cable at this stage. Im happy with the mac.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 06:24 AM   #22
Maccanaut
macrumors newbie

New cable received. So far all is good. In process of burning a disc now.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 04:58 AM   #23
mrmarts
macrumors 6502a

I am considering buying this external drive to rip movies i cannot find on the iTunes store. At the moment i own a macbook retina 15", which only has two usb ports. Does the blu ray drive run on a single usb 3.0 cable for MacBooks or do i need to plug both cables in?
Old Nov 13, 2013, 12:44 AM   #24
cenantes
macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I have upgraded my Mac to Mavericks, since then, my Lacie Slim Blu-ray drive stopped being able to work properly.
My mac still detects the drive, but as soon as it starts reading the files, it ejects by itself.
Anyone encountered the same issue?
cenantes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2014, 03:18 PM   #25
Kareldr
macrumors newbie

Did you solved it?

Hi,
I do have same problem. Did you found a solution?
Thanks,
karel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenantes View Post
Hi guys,

I have upgraded my Mac to Mavericks, since then, my Lacie Slim Blu-ray drive stopped being able to work properly.
My mac still detects the drive, but as soon as it starts reading the files, it ejects by itself.
Anyone encountered the same issue?
Kareldr is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Tags
blu-ray, bluray, disc, external, usb