Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Dec 4, 2012, 06:49 PM   #1
2012Tony2012
macrumors 6502a

How to Encrypt and protect personal files on iMac?

I have lots of personal files that include very sensitive and private information, e.g passwords for bank websites etc and private photos etc.

What's the best way to make sure they stay private even if someone steals my iMac or gets access to it?
2012Tony2012 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 06:55 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

How to create a password-protected (encrypted) disk image in Mac OS X 10.3 or later
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:02 PM   #3
2012Tony2012
macrumors 6502a

Using that, is that better and just as secure as using TrueCrypt on iMac?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:10 PM   #4
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Tony2012 View Post
Using that, is that better and just as secure as using TrueCrypt on iMac?
I haven't tried TrueCrypt, but either method should work fine. You don't always need a 3rd party app for things you want to to on a Mac. Many built-in apps work just fine.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:15 PM   #5
2012Tony2012
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
I haven't tried TrueCrypt, but either method should work fine. You don't always need a 3rd party app for things you want to to on a Mac. Many built-in apps work just fine.
Yes. And it's best to use the built in apps before looking for a third party I guess.

Thank you for your help.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:50 PM   #6
2012Tony2012
macrumors 6502a

Should I choose "Single Partition - Apple Partition Map" if I want a virtual hard drive to store my personal files in?

And can I install new Apps into that virtual encrypted drive?

And what does "Remember password in my keychain" mean? Enabled or Disabled?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:54 PM   #7
Macclone
Banned

We would need to see a few of those pics to provide accurate advice.
Macclone is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:59 PM   #8
2012Tony2012
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macclone View Post
We would need to see a few of those pics to provide accurate advice.
What does "Remember password in my keychain" mean and do?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:08 PM   #9
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Should I choose "Single Partition - Apple Partition Map" if I want a virtual hard drive to store my personal files in?

And can I install new Apps into that virtual encrypted drive?

And what does "Remember password in my keychain" mean? Enabled or Disabled?
Use Sparse Disk Image, this image needs as much space as needed, not more, it is in the link provided.

You can put anything on a sparse disk Image, but it is not always guaranteed an Application will run off it, some don't.

For the thirth question, it depends on you, if you check the box keychain will remember the password and as soon as you click the image it will open without you typing the password, if you want it to be extremely safe don't check it but then you need to enter the password every time you open it.
It is also possible to add the disk Image to login items and when you log in it will mount automatically but will ask for your password if you did not check the box.
Problem with this is that if one or more user accounts are active and you log out the disk image remains mounted, this is not the case(should not) if you log out.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:45 AM   #10
SOLLERBOY
macrumors 6502a

1 Password is a good password manager, you can encrypt your passwords etc there.
SOLLERBOY is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 01:41 PM   #11
Weaselboy
macrumors P6

Quote:
I have lots of personal files that include very sensitive and private information, e.g passwords for bank websites etc and private photos etc.

What's the best way to make sure they stay private even if someone steals my iMac or gets access to it?
These disk image suggestions are going to be very hard for you to implement and manage. A disk image is okay to store some documents, but trying to keep your passwords (which are by default in Keychain) and photos in iPhoto, plus documents in an encrypted disk image is going to be a hassle.

If you have Mountain Lion, you already have built in full disk encryption with Filevault2... just turn it on. Once the disk is encrypted, you can use your machine just like you always did without fussing with disk images. It is also a good idea to set a EFI password to prevent anybody trying to boot your machine from an external disk if it is stolen. These two together make your machine VERY secure.
Weaselboy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 03:03 PM   #12
seble
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
These disk image suggestions are going to be very hard for you to implement and manage. A disk image is okay to store some documents, but trying to keep your passwords (which are by default in Keychain) and photos in iPhoto, plus documents in an encrypted disk image is going to be a hassle.

If you have Mountain Lion, you already have built in full disk encryption with Filevault2... just turn it on. Once the disk is encrypted, you can use your machine just like you always did without fussing with disk images. It is also a good idea to set a EFI password to prevent anybody trying to boot your machine from an external disk if it is stolen. These two together make your machine VERY secure.
A note about EFI. it makes it impossible to boot into certain modes. For example, when my graphics card went dodgy (machine wouldn't boot normally), EFI wouldn't allow you to boot into FireWire, or diagnostic modes, nore safe mode. It ignores those requests. Safe mode was the only way I could boot it, and the apple technicians needed the EFI disabled in order for them to run diagnostics... Lucky it worked for one boot for me to disable it for them...
seble is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 03:06 PM   #13
Weaselboy
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by seble View Post
A note about EFI. it makes it impossible to boot into certain modes. For example, when my graphics card went dodgy (machine wouldn't boot normally), EFI wouldn't allow you to boot into FireWire, or diagnostic modes, nore safe mode. It ignores those requests. Safe mode was the only way I could boot it, and the apple technicians needed the EFI disabled in order for them to run diagnostics... Lucky it worked for one boot for me to disable it for them...
Yes... that is correct. The upside is now with the Recovery HD, it is easier to turn off the EFI password than back when you had to boot to the install DVD. You can also boot from a USB recovery stick to turn off the EFI PW if the disk is dead.
Weaselboy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 03:13 PM   #14
seble
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
Yes... that is correct. The upside is now with the Recovery HD, it is easier to turn off the EFI password than back when you had to boot to the install DVD. You can also boot from a USB recovery stick to turn off the EFI PW if the disk is dead.
Again true, but this wouldn't have been a help in my case. As it wouldn't boot to the recovery position, regardless of EFI on or not, simply because the graphics crd would stop any mode from successfully booting except for safe mode! But yes in most cases it is fine and I would recommend it, especially for laptops
seble is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 03:26 PM   #15
phoenixsan
macrumors 65816

Post For my encription needs....

I had used PGP Desktop (free version) and TrueCrypt.....

Only giving my $5 cents.....

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac