Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psoin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
I'm trying to extend my network by using an ethernet cable from time capsule (connected to Fios modem) to airport extreme, but do not know which port (LAN or WAN) to use on the airport extreme.
Please advise,
TIA

forza69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
LAN port.

You don't need to connect it with an Ethernet cable. Just bridge it with your time capsule when you're setting it up. You also don't need to buy an extreme, an express will do just fine since you already have an extreme inside the time capsule.

Last edited:

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
LAN port.

This:

airportextreme.jpg

The ones marked "10/100 LAN.."

(Image from MacLife.)

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
If you extend the network by WiFi then the data rate from anything connected to the second AE will be halved. This is because the data has to be sent twice back and forth between the second AE and the first TC/AE.

If you connect the two by LAN cable then the data rate is at max. This is a roaming config (second AE is in bridge mode) not the extend network mode.

werthan

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
If you extend the network by WiFi then the data rate from anything connected to the second AE will be halved. This is because the data has to be sent twice back and forth between the second AE and the first TC/AE.

If you connect the two by LAN cable then the data rate is at max. This is a roaming config (second AE is in bridge mode) not the extend network mode.

drsox,
I apologize if I am asking a stupid question, and do not mean to threadjack, but this post has me wondering if I just made a mistake. So I have an imac on the way. I bought a Time Capsule, and already had an airport express.

My situation is I have two floors, very old house, and reception downstairs is not great. No Cat wiring etc.

My current setup will be:
1 iMac
1 iPad
2 iPhones
2 Roku
1 Dell Windows 7 laptop
1 Kindle Fire

The TC would go upstairs, and I was planning to put the AE downstairs and bridge them.

It sounds like you are saying I would be better off somehow rewiring the house to add a direct connection from the TC upstairs to the AE down?

I could do that, but hadn't even considered it. I have comcast cable. Is there anything easier than running new lines through the house?

Thank you very much in advance.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.