Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:38 PM   #1
bobright
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
How high is the new iMac from the bottom to the screen?

I'm looking for a desk and am wondering how many inches is it from the bottom of the iMac's stand to the bottom of the actual screen?
bobright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:53 PM   #2
THOPMedia
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobright View Post
I'm looking for a desk and am wondering how many inches is it from the bottom of the iMac's stand to the bottom of the actual screen?
The 21.5" imac is 17.7 inches high
The 27" iMac is 20.3 inches high.
THOPMedia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:00 PM   #3
bobright
Thread Starter
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by THOPMedia View Post
The 21.5" imac is 17.7 inches high
The 27" iMac is 20.3 inches high.
I'm talking about how high is it from where the stand sits to where the bottom of the actual screen is? About 6 inches or so?
bobright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:13 PM   #4
MagicThief83
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NYC
It's about 3-4 inches, with the screen in normal or default tilt.
__________________
MBA (2012, 11", 2.0GHz dual-core i7, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD)
iPad (3rd Generation, 64GB, Black, Wi-Fi only)
iPhone 5 (64GB, Black, AT&T)
MagicThief83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:19 PM   #5
AppleDApp
macrumors 68020
 
AppleDApp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Thinking of getting the HiRise?
__________________
If you are a MacRumors newbie, chances are I will disregard your post.
AppleDApp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 06:23 PM   #6
Gascogne
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sweden
Send a message via ICQ to Gascogne Send a message via MSN to Gascogne
The 21.5" imac have 7.5cm (3 inches) from table to lower edge of the imac.
Was in the store today so I measured.
Gascogne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 06:41 PM   #7
bobright
Thread Starter
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gascogne View Post
The 21.5" imac have 7.5cm (3 inches) from table to lower edge of the imac.
Was in the store today so I measured.
Nice work mate!!

So if that's to the edge of the display there's about another 4inches or so until the actual screen. I was thinking of removing a shelf on my desk but didn't want the iMac to sit too low. I think ill remove it and it'll be fine.

Thanks guys
bobright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 07:45 PM   #8
Tucson Allen
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tucson, AZ
Without actual bezel and chin dimensions: about six inches

Starting from the top, 17.7“ from the desktop (Apple):
Screen is* 10.54“, leaving 7.16“ - 3 inches (measured by Gascogne) + leaves 4.16.” *(from 19X6 aspect ratio figures at http://www.silisoftware.com/tools/screen.php)

After looking at several images I think the bezel must be at least 1“, the size of my early 2006 iMac‘s, maybe even wider. This doesn’t work at well with the 4.16 inch remainder shown above. The chin on my old computer is about 4.25“. My impression of the 2012 chin is that it’s narrower, possibly narrower still than the 2011. Taking it at about 2.5,“ pure guesswork, that would make the bezel about .83 inches. No!

Too many imponderables, especially if my impressions of the new bezel point to an inch or more are accurate. But bear in mind the images were processed. I would be surprised if the chin was much less than 3“. So pending other users‘ actual measurements of the bezel and chin, I would go with bobright: the screen is about 6 inches from the desk top.
Tucson Allen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 01:54 PM   #9
Gascogne
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sweden
Send a message via ICQ to Gascogne Send a message via MSN to Gascogne
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobright View Post
Nice work mate!!

So if that's to the edge of the display there's about another 4inches or so until the actual screen. I was thinking of removing a shelf on my desk but didn't want the iMac to sit too low. I think ill remove it and it'll be fine.

Thanks guys
Was in town again so I took some more measurments, the store staff must think I'm odd..

7.5cm (3 inches) to lower edge of the imac from table surface
13.5cm (5.3 inches) to the lower edge of the black frame from table surface
16cm (6.3 inches) to the lower edge of the actual screen surface from table surface

Aluminum border is 6cm (2.4 inches)
Black frame is 2.5cm (1 inch)
Gascogne is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:11 PM   #10
bobright
Thread Starter
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gascogne View Post
Was in town again so I took some more measurments, the store staff must think I'm odd..

7.5cm (3 inches) to lower edge of the imac from table surface
13.5cm (5.3 inches) to the lower edge of the black frame from table surface
16cm (6.3 inches) to the lower edge of the actual screen surface from table surface

Aluminum border is 6cm (2.4 inches)
Black frame is 2.5cm (1 inch)
Hmmm curious was this the 21" or 27", maybe they are the same. Nevertheless right on have already removed this shelf I planned to have the iMac sit on, now itll just sit on the desk, at 6 inches to the bottom of the screen it's high enough.
bobright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:18 PM   #11
Gascogne
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sweden
Send a message via ICQ to Gascogne Send a message via MSN to Gascogne
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobright View Post
Hmmm curious was this the 21" or 27", maybe they are the same. Nevertheless right on have already removed this shelf I planned to have the iMac sit on, now itll just sit on the desk, at 6 inches to the bottom of the screen it's high enough.

They look pretty similiar according to this picture.

http://images.apple.com/euro/imac/fe...s/osx_hero.jpg
Gascogne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 09:53 PM   #12
Tucson Allen
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tucson, AZ
The actual measurement

the top of the display is 16 9/16 inches as measured on my new 21.5" iMac from the desktop. The bezel looks thicker, but it is an inch. The chin is 2 1/4 inches.

Last edited by Tucson Allen; Dec 6, 2012 at 09:54 PM. Reason: correct error
Tucson Allen is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Little box in the bottom of screen RDAR MacBook Pro 6 Sep 13, 2013 01:32 PM
do iMac's without yellow tint at the bottom of screen exist? mlody Buying Tips and Advice 1 May 5, 2013 04:46 PM
Missing a little off bottom of screen? veryevilash iMac 9 Nov 20, 2012 06:19 PM
iMac 21.5 (mid 2011) Yellow Bottom Half of screen pinker top half. stelee iMac 0 Oct 9, 2012 09:57 AM
Grey at bottom of screen usmaak MacBook Air 5 Jul 30, 2012 07:58 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:32 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC