Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

one1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
I'm having an odd issue. If I go into disk utility it says 250gb, but if I click mac HD from finder it says 125gb. I'm missing exactly half my HD and I have no bootcamp partition, it' a single 250 gb partition.

Is there something I can do besides verify disk (which came out fine) to tell the computer to check itself more deeply and update the statistics? Perhaps a better scan of the HD?

2.4 ghz Poly MB. 2010

Nov 28, 2010
located
Does that mean, that Disk Utility shows you have an internal HDD with a capacity of 250 GB, but selecting that HDD in Finder and opening GET INFO shows you have an HDD with a capacity of only 125 GB? Or are you speaking of free or used capacity?

Can you make screenshots and attach them to your next post?

one1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
A screen shot of what I've just said in the OP.

Screenshot2012-12-05at42332AM.png

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
A screen shot of what I've just said in the OP.

You are not the first one, I saw this here on MR a couple of weeks ago, searching for this on MR is difficult though, I'll try to find it.

This is indeed odd, I do have debug menu enabled which also shows every disk partition, even invisible ones.
I suspected something similar here but it clearly says in DU it's 250 GB.

Edit: Tried to search MR, search is useless here, ;) MR

Tip, to enable debug mode paste this command in Terminal:

defaults write com.apple.DiskUtility DUDebugMenuEnabled 1

(Restart Disk Utility if active)

Then you can check *Show every Partition*

Last edited:

one1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Thanks, I didn't notice a difference in that when I used it in terminal. I am told the partition is full size so there doesn't appear to be a hidden one.

Screenshot2012-12-06at44505PM.png

one1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
The grey area under disk is only 250MB.

This area in partition is the only place it says the proper remaining space on the HD reading it from a partition perspective.

From all other areas it only says 125gb as the max size.

I used WHATSIZE to check the HD and it also reports as 125gb. I did however get to see the HD when adding 8gb of ram yesterday and it is the original 250gb one. Everywhere except in this partition section of disk utility, the HD says 125gb.

Screenshot2012-12-12at102608PM.png

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

This area in partition is the only place it says the proper remaining space on the HD reading it from a partition perspective.

I used WHATSIZE to check the HD and it also reports as 125gb. I did however get to see the HD when adding 8gb of ram yesterday and it is the original 250gb one. Everywhere except in this partition section of disk utility, the HD says 125gb.

As I said before it's probably a bug in Mountain Lion, do a search on MRoogle , you are not the only one, send feedback to Apple and it might be resolved.
If you want to get rid of it do a clean install, this might solve your problem.

Also, what happens if you try to copy files to the disk which goes over this 125 GB limit, it keeps on copying or does it stop?

one1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
That's dandy if it's a bug in Mountain Lion and all, but as I said in the OP the MacBook is on 10.6.8

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

What is that disk0s1 partition I see there? That looks like a second partition you somehow got on there. If you click disk0s1 in DU what does it say? Same for click on Macintosh HD.

Assuming there is nothing on disk0s1, you should be able to click the minus and remove it then expand the Macintosh HD to take all the space and get to where you want. This may help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.