Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:34 PM   #101
JohnLT13
macrumors 6502

had to get the hard copy in SteelBook, it is awesome

Thumb resize.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
I got the Blu-ray last week and haven't had a chance to watch it yet! With that said, I tried to use the Ultraviolet code and it didn't work*. I immediately emailed support and they haven't bothered to reply yet so I won't be going out of my way to use UV in the future.

*The packaging says that it doesn't work in Ireland, Channel Islands or Isle of Man, but when I try to redeem it from NZ it kicks me out for not being in the UK.
I refuse to use UV. I lost two movies to them, they have 0 customer support.
wish it came with digital copy.

Last edited by Nermal; Dec 22, 2012 at 01:42 PM. Reason: thumbnail
JohnLT13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:08 PM   #102
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

That's a pretty awesome box. I bought the Blu Ray that included the Standard version disc as well and gave it to my brother since he doesn't have a blu ray player (that counts as an early christmas gift right?).
Old Dec 21, 2012, 06:39 PM   #103
Nermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLT13 View Post
I refuse to use UV. I lost two movies to them, they have 0 customer support.
wish it came with digital copy.
I eventually got a response after a week, telling me to contact Warner Home Video instead

To their credit, WHV responded after about two hours but just gave a boilerplate message about UV not being available due to "logistical reasons". I shot back with feigned incredulity about how countless "normal" people send files between countries every day, so how do the movie and music industries manage to run into so many problems?
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 06:50 PM   #104
-SD-
macrumors 6502

I got the Trilogy box-set on Blu-ray as Tesco had it for 24 the other day. I've just this evening watched The Dark Knight Rises via the projector, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Much better than going to the Cinema

-SD- is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:19 PM   #105
darthpibe
macrumors newbie

I got both versions the limited edition bluray and the itunes with extras version, and the bluray version is a little better than the iTunes version, the black quality levels are better n the bluray, and for a dark movie that's very important.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	385194  

Last edited by Nermal; Dec 22, 2012 at 01:42 PM. Reason: thumbnail
darthpibe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:36 PM   #106
ethana
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinoyAko View Post
Is ripping a bluray movie legal?
Technically, no. It's illegal to break the encryption on the Blu-ray disc. But since you aren't reselling the movie, making bootlegs, or uploading it to some sharing torrent site, no one is going to come after you.
ethana is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:48 PM   #107
Che Castro
macrumors 601

iTunes with extras version ?
Che Castro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 01:39 PM   #108
darthpibe
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che Castro View Post
iTunes with extras version ?
Yep the iTunes version comes with extras.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 02:34 PM   #109
Che Castro
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthpibe View Post
Yep the iTunes version comes with extras.
I bought it & when I click on "more" I get reviews only

Last edited by Che Castro; Dec 22, 2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 02:49 PM   #110
darthpibe
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I bought it & when I click on "more" I get reviews only
You can watch the extras in a Laptop, in iTunes.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 02:50 PM   #111
Che Castro
macrumors 601

What about Apple TV
Old Dec 22, 2012, 03:25 PM   #112
musicpenguy
macrumors 6502a

So extras can be AirPlayed to the Apple TV - you don't even need screen mirroring for that to work.

They can even be put on an iPad, iPhone or iPod - below is a tutorial video I made a while back when I discovered this nifty work around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hXD_AmWl08&sns=em

Hope this helps
Tim
Old Dec 22, 2012, 04:15 PM   #113
CmdrLaForge
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to CmdrLaForge Send a message via Skype™ to CmdrLaForge
Nothing goes over Bluray. Well 4K maybe but not iTunes.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:04 PM   #114
darthpibe
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrLaForge View Post
Yep youre right, but is very close now, in the near future is going to get better, physical storage is a thing from the past like Betamax, VHS, CDs, and DVD, cloud storage is the future.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:16 PM   #115
musicpenguy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrLaForge View Post
The thing about iTunes is that the video gets better over time originally 720p now 1080p - no new purchase required.

Whose to say that iTunes won't upgrade our content to 4k or 8k in a few years when bandwitch allows for it - there is endless potential in a digital file versus physical discs.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:46 PM   #116
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthpibe View Post
Yep youre right, but is very close now, in the near future is going to get better, physical storage is a thing from the past like Betamax, VHS, CDs, and DVD, cloud storage is the future.
Did you just say VHS is like BD?
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:50 PM   #117
Che Castro
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
Did you just say VHS is like BD?
I think he meant that in a few years your blurays will be collecting dust , like VHS & DVD are now
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:05 AM   #118
darthpibe
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I think he meant that in a few years your blurays will be collecting dust , like VHS & DVD are now
Yep.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:09 AM   #119
kaldezar
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omne666 View Post
So let's summarise...

Option 1
Buy from iTunes, wait a few minutes, press play.

Option 2
Buy BR (from store or online) wait for delivery or trip home, RIP it to mkv, have plex on the system or jail broken ATV2, press play.

Option 3
Buy BR (from store or online) wait for delivery, RIP it to mkv, handbrake it, press play.

Gee...I wonder which is easier?

I understand we have audiophiles here, old school own the disc people, potential licence issues down the track with pure digital files, but aren't we forgetting something?

Apples mantra " it just works"?

Apples all ways been about ease of use, ease of access, just plain ease. Perfect no, but always getting better.

I don't own a B&O for sound, my TV isn't a $20k vision nirvana device. Unless they are, your not getting the full benefits of everything by goingi BR then ripping, no matter how good the rip. My wife doesn't sit there and go 'wish we had dts or a better tv'.

Ease of use and an enjoyable experience.

With the iTunes store and an ATV, Apple delivers.

Sorry people, but I just can't see myself fretting over how good my RIPs are, or which jail brake is the best. I just want to watch the movie.As long as these days it's HD, I'm reasonably happy. I use to be happy with DVDs.

Buy the thing through iTunes, and enjoy the experience! If you watch it 2 times or more, your ahead of the game.
Agree that itunes is more convenient ( especially for spur of the moment rentals) but on my 4 year old high end panasonic plasma( about $2000 at the time probably substantially cheaper and better now), itunes definitely is way behind BluRay and using a fairly average sound system (mid range Pioneer receiver) the sound quality of Dolby True HD or DTS HD total blows away the iTunes version so for me renting throught iTunes is fine but for owning BluRay every time. BTW why use handbrake when Ivi does a better job in a fraction of the time?
kaldezar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:28 AM   #120
andymodem
macrumors 6502

I bought the Blu Ray. I do rip my Blu Rays though into AppleTV2 format for casual viewing on the ipad or the tv in the bedroom. When I do a serious viewing I pull out the Blu Ray and watch it on the 60" plasma.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:38 PM   #121
SAIRUS
macrumors 6502

Blu-ray all the way! The DTS-MA on this disc is completely worth it.

To all the people who are too lazy to get up and switch the disc, I am afraid of your response when you need to go the bathroom.
SAIRUS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:43 PM   #122
musicpenguy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAIRUS View Post
Blu-ray all the way! The DTS-MA on this disc is completely worth it.

To all the people who are too lazy to get up and switch the disc, I am afraid of your response when you need to go the bathroom.
Wow its not just that - I go with iTunes because I live in a small studio that has no storage room of any kind - I simply don't have the room to store the hundreds of BluRays I would have been buying. Plus it is so much easier to find my content in a searchable list/genre breaking down grid - it is both more convenient and gets rid of the storage need that those in apartments don't have.

So yea its not just being lazy its for those that move around alot or have no room to store the discs - the Apple TV also takes up less space and uses less power than a BluRay player.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:42 AM   #123
SAIRUS
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicpenguy View Post
Wow its not just that - I go with iTunes because I live in a small studio that has no storage room of any kind - I simply don't have the room to store the hundreds of BluRays I would have been buying. Plus it is so much easier to find my content in a searchable list/genre breaking down grid - it is both more convenient and gets rid of the storage need that those in apartments don't have.

So yea its not just being lazy its for those that move around alot or have no room to store the discs - the Apple TV also takes up less space and uses less power than a BluRay player.
No worries. I was downloads only for a while, being in the exact same situation.

I keep a list on blu-ray.com and have everything organized pretty well.

Currently thinking of setting up a htpc and when the hard drives get big enough, I'll rip them.

Oh and I also have small speakers that while loud, I can place them where I don't annoy the neighbors.
SAIRUS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:22 AM   #124
musicpenguy
macrumors 6502a

Yea I do at some point plan on getting a BluRay player with 3D capabilities. There are a few films I could see owning for the vast amount of extras and 3D version.

I will be much more mindful of what I get in the physical format. I was blown away how much physical room my old DVD collection was consuming at my Mom's house. I don't have much room to store things so once I take up more than a single bookshelf I'll be evaluating what to get rid of and what to keep.

My main purchase point will always be through iTunes and I may double dip in BluRay when appropriate - I still need to wait another year or so to upgrade my projector from 720p to 1080p/3D capable.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 04:28 AM   #125
chiefpavvy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicpenguy View Post
The thing about iTunes is that the video gets better over time originally 720p now 1080p - no new purchase required.

Whose to say that iTunes won't upgrade our content to 4k or 8k in a few years when bandwitch allows for it - there is endless potential in a digital file versus physical discs.
It's a double-edged sword, though. Your movies can disappear too. (See the thread regarding purchased films disappearing from iCloud.)
chiefpavvy is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater