Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 5, 2012, 01:53 AM   #1
Radiating
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
How to disable attwifi hotspots?

My phone NEVER successfully negotiates a cinnection with these and always automatically connects to them. I want it to stop doing that. Any advice? Now I just turn off wifi whenever I see a hotspot connected but then this causes a navigation warning and I forget to turn it back on at home where I'm always sucking data. So it's annoying.
Radiating is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 02:01 AM   #2
albertxp06
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: California
When you're near the hotspot and it shows up in WiFi, tap the little blue arrow next to attwifi and tap Forget this Network.
It won't try to connect to attwifi and you can keep WiFi on

Last edited by albertxp06; Dec 5, 2012 at 02:01 AM. Reason: Grammar
albertxp06 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:47 AM   #3
Zerozal
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: PA
Another option is to keep WiFi on, but in settings turn OFF the option "Ask to Join Networks". You'll still connect automatically to any known networks (like home), but it won't prompt you when it finds new wifi hot spots.
__________________
2009 Mac Pro 2.93 Quad, 12GB RAM, 300GB Velociraptor, 2x 1TB WD Caviar Blacks in RAID 0, ATI 5870, 24" LED Cinema Display, iPhone 5, iPad Air
Zerozal is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:49 AM   #4
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000
 
r2shyyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Paris, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerozal View Post
Another option is to keep WiFi on, but in settings turn OFF the option "Ask to Join Networks". You'll still connect automatically to any known networks (like home), but it won't prompt you when it finds new wifi hot spots.
The above is what I do and it works perfectly for me. May also help preserve battery.
__________________
"kkkkkkkk ....ok" - iphone4s16gb
r2shyyou is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:57 AM   #5
dictoresno
macrumors 68020
 
dictoresno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerozal View Post
Another option is to keep WiFi on, but in settings turn OFF the option "Ask to Join Networks". You'll still connect automatically to any known networks (like home), but it won't prompt you when it finds new wifi hot spots.
this is the correct solution. should also cut down on excessive battery drain if you have it.
__________________
Verizon iPhone 6, 128GB Space Grey
iPad Mini 16GB Black, iPad 1 32 GB Black
iPod Touch 4th Generation 64GB Black
dictoresno is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:58 AM   #6
Interstella5555
macrumors 603
 
Interstella5555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by r2shyyou View Post
The above is what I do and it works perfectly for me. May also help preserve battery.
Same here, it would drive me up the wall if my phone tried to connect to every random network out there and definitely will kill your battery a lot quicker.
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:59 AM   #7
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5
 
ucfgrad93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerozal View Post
Another option is to keep WiFi on, but in settings turn OFF the option "Ask to Join Networks". You'll still connect automatically to any known networks (like home), but it won't prompt you when it finds new wifi hot spots.
This is what I would do as well.
ucfgrad93 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:21 AM   #8
Small White Car
macrumors G4
 
Small White Car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Washington DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerozal View Post
Another option is to keep WiFi on, but in settings turn OFF the option "Ask to Join Networks". You'll still connect automatically to any known networks (like home), but it won't prompt you when it finds new wifi hot spots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by r2shyyou View Post
The above is what I do and it works perfectly for me. May also help preserve battery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dictoresno View Post
this is the correct solution. should also cut down on excessive battery drain if you have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstella5555 View Post
Same here, it would drive me up the wall if my phone tried to connect to every random network out there and definitely will kill your battery a lot quicker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
This is what I would do as well.

Whoa, wait a minute. Why are there 5 people here all having the exact opposite experience I have had?

For over 4 years of iPhone ownership I have had that set to 'off' and it DOES join random networks. I thought that was the point.

What am I missing here?
Small White Car is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:30 AM   #9
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000
 
r2shyyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Paris, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
Whoa, wait a minute. Why are there 5 people here all having the exact opposite experience I have had?

For over 4 years of iPhone ownership I have had that set to 'off' and it DOES join random networks. I thought that was the point.

What am I missing here?
Curious. Those "random" networks have no connection to other networks you may have joined previously? Also, joining networks automatically, such as the free AT&T ones, doesn't bother me so much as prompting me when there are new ones.

The way I understand it is that with the setting toggled to "OFF" and when you're within range of a network that is "known" to your device (i.e. you've connected to it before), it'll join that network automatically. Otherwise, outside the range of those networks, your device won't prompt you to connect to any "unknown" networks you come within range of.

(Not sure if that's the best explanation.)
__________________
"kkkkkkkk ....ok" - iphone4s16gb
r2shyyou is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:30 AM   #10
scaredpoet
macrumors 603
 
scaredpoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
Whoa, wait a minute. Why are there 5 people here all having the exact opposite experience I have had?

For over 4 years of iPhone ownership I have had that set to 'off' and it DOES join random networks. I thought that was the point.

What am I missing here?
If you've ever joined a Wifi network in the past with a particular SSID, then it'll join every WiFi network with that SSID going forward until you specifically forget that network. This is intentional, for WiFi networks that are widespread and have a bunch of access points spread out over a geographic area (like attwifi).

So, if you ever join a WiFi access that that's say, belkin or a netgear, and that access point is basically running unrestricted and out of the box with no changes to the settings, then your iPhone is going to automatically join every other out-of-the-box, unrestricted belkin or netgear hotspot. It's going to continue doing that until you tell it to forget the network the next time you're connected to one.
__________________
If you're not a clairvoyant, then you shouldn't be speaking for a dead guy.
I'm here to talk about Apple stuff, and related tech stuff. Your political beliefs? I really couldn't care less about.
scaredpoet is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:33 AM   #11
Small White Car
macrumors G4
 
Small White Car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Washington DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by r2shyyou View Post
With the setting toggled to "OFF" and if you're within range of a network that is "known" to your device (i.e. you've connected to it before), it'll join that network automatically. Otherwise, outside the range of those networks, your device won't prompt you to connect to any "unknown" networks you come within range of.

(Not sure if that's the best explanation.)
I think what I'm missing is my understanding of what a 'network' is. I assumed it was a physical thing in a specific place. As seen below, I guess that's not the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredpoet View Post
If you've ever joined a Wifi network in the past with a particular SSID, then it'll join every WiFi network with that SSID going forward until you specifically forget that network. This is intentional, for WiFi networks that are widespread and have a bunch of access points spread out over a geographic area (like attwifi).

So, if you ever join a WiFi access that that's say, belkin or a netgear, and that access point is basically running unrestricted and out of the box with no changes to the settings, then your iPhone is going to automatically join every other out-of-the-box, unrestricted belkin or netgear hotspot. It's going to continue doing that until you tell it to forget the network the next time you're connected to one.
So what I'm missing here is that I can walk into a hotel in some state I've never been in before and the hotel wifi might have the same SSID as a hotel in another state?

So what I think of as the phone "joining an unknown network" is really just it seeing the same ID as some totally other network somewhere else in the country?

Because my iPhone joins networks in places I've never been all the time. So this detail (that SSIDs get reused) is what I'm missing, apparently.
Small White Car is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:34 AM   #12
Mr Hill
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
When I was with AT&T those attwifi hotspots never worked for me. Seems like a waste of time.
Mr Hill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:44 AM   #13
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000
 
r2shyyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Paris, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
So what I'm missing here is that I can walk into a hotel in some state I've never been in before and the hotel wifi might have the same SSID as a hotel in another state?

So what I think of as the phone "joining an unknown network" is really just it seeing the same ID as some totally other network somewhere else in the country?

Because my iPhone joins networks in places I've never been all the time. So this detail (that SSIDs get reused) is what I'm missing, apparently.
Are you able to actually use Wi-Fi in these instances where you've connected to "unknown" networks?

My experience is that for "guest" access that often requires a unique, device-specific "key," for lack of a better word (e.g. airports, hotels), it connects automatically based on SSID only but requires action by me, such as acceptance of Terms of Service, before allowing me to actually use that connection. In instances where I've declined those terms, I'm usually booted off the Wi-Fi connection.
__________________
"kkkkkkkk ....ok" - iphone4s16gb
r2shyyou is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:46 AM   #14
Small White Car
macrumors G4
 
Small White Car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Washington DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by r2shyyou View Post
Are you able to actually use Wi-Fi in these instances where you've connected to "unknown" networks?

My experience is that for "guest" access that often requires a unique, device-specific "key," for lack of a better word (e.g. airports, hotels), it connects automatically based on SSID only but requires action by me, such as acceptance of Terms of Service, before allowing me to actually use that connection. In instances where I've declined those terms, I'm usually booted off the Wi-Fi connection.
I have encountered those, but no, it's not always required. I have walked into places I've never been and thought "huh, why is my internet so slow? Oh, they have crappy wifi which my phone joined automatically...guess I have to go in and click 'forget' on this one!"
Small White Car is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:51 AM   #15
braddick
macrumors 68030
 
braddick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Encinitas, CA
I notice now having the search for other wifi settings default is off upon a restore.

It didn't used to be that way.
Unless you've gone in and turned it on, it should be off.
braddick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:20 AM   #16
Interstella5555
macrumors 603
 
Interstella5555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
I think what I'm missing is my understanding of what a 'network' is. I assumed it was a physical thing in a specific place. As seen below, I guess that's not the case.



So what I'm missing here is that I can walk into a hotel in some state I've never been in before and the hotel wifi might have the same SSID as a hotel in another state?

So what I think of as the phone "joining an unknown network" is really just it seeing the same ID as some totally other network somewhere else in the country?

Because my iPhone joins networks in places I've never been all the time. So this detail (that SSIDs get reused) is what I'm missing, apparently.
Slightly unlikely, but yes, it could happen [I.E. Best Western Guest might be the name across the country for Best Western hotels]. This was happening to me more with the AT&T spots since I had connected to one once and kept trying to connect to the countless other ones out there.
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 01:23 PM   #17
dave420
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerozal View Post
Another option is to keep WiFi on, but in settings turn OFF the option "Ask to Join Networks". You'll still connect automatically to any known networks (like home), but it won't prompt you when it finds new wifi hot spots.
The attwifi network will connect even if "Ask to Join Networks" is disabled. The AT&T iPhone is preconfigured to connect to the network.
Also there is no forget this network option available for attwifi. There is an "auto-join" option where forget this network normally would be. I think turning that off will have the same effect.
dave420 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 03:04 PM   #18
aphexacid
macrumors 6502a
 
aphexacid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago
my iphone 5 and i think 4S as well, auto connect to attwifi hotspots regardless of any settings.

I remeber launch day for iphone 5, walking back to my car, i expected to be cruising on LTE. Nope, it was on wifi. It automatically connected to the starbucks i walked by.

While connected to one of these, you have to go into the wifi setting, and tap on the connection. It will give you a different option instead of "forget this network".
I think it says something like, "automatically connect to these networks" or something like that.

BTW, this was right out of the box. factory fresh.
aphexacid is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 07:49 PM   #19
Peter K.
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: SoCal
Correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave420 View Post
The attwifi network will connect even if "Ask to Join Networks" is disabled. The AT&T iPhone is preconfigured to connect to the network.
Also there is no forget this network option available for attwifi. There is an "auto-join" option where forget this network normally would be. I think turning that off will have the same effect.
This is exactly correct; I just tested it an hour ago.
Peter K. is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hotspots vs Cradlepoints diane143 Mac Peripherals 9 Mar 6, 2013 02:38 PM
Mobile Wifi hotspots? Jeepman88 Community Discussion 2 Jan 22, 2013 09:14 AM
Portable Hotspots, Etc panda bear Buying Tips and Advice 4 Nov 24, 2012 03:46 PM
AT&T Tether/Hotspots hlkc iPhone 6 Nov 5, 2012 08:11 AM
4s wifi issues on authenticated hotspots liteshow iOS 6 6 Sep 25, 2012 11:48 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:26 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC