Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

View Poll Results: Turn of MacBook Air?
I turn mine off frequently. 38 18.54%
I turn mine off while traveling with it. 21 10.24%
I keep mine on the majority of the time. 44 21.46%
I keep mine on all the time unless forced to turn it off. (OS Updates) 102 49.76%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:19 AM   #1
shakeman0
macrumors 6502a

Do you turn off your MacBook Air?

I'm getting my MBA today and I'm thrilled. I was wondering, I've read a few things about a special sleep mode the MBA has. Plus, since its a SSD, do you ever turn it off before traveling with it or anything?
shakeman0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:23 AM   #2
fletch33
macrumors regular

i never turn mine off
fletch33 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:29 AM   #3
bembol
macrumors 6502a

Rarely.

Some what off topic...

Genius did tell me when I saw them last week about Tethering issues not to leave her Plugged all the time or overnight. I use an External Monitor, which is why I do but now before I go to bed I unplugged her.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:04 AM   #4
Skoopman
macrumors 6502

I don't see any reason to leave my MBA on at night. Sure, it does not eat much power, but it turns on in 13 seconds, I can wait.
Skoopman is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:42 AM   #5
filmbuff
macrumors 6502a

I only turn it off to use Bootcamp.
filmbuff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:12 AM   #6
rocoloco
macrumors member

I turn it off once to twice a day. always when drifting asleep
rocoloco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:21 AM   #7
Kafka
macrumors 6502

I close the lid and that's it.
Kafka is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:20 AM   #8
wgnoyes
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeman0 View Post
I'm getting my MBA today and I'm thrilled. I was wondering, I've read a few things about a special sleep mode the MBA has. Plus, since its a SSD, do you ever turn it off before traveling with it or anything?
Travelling? Well, technically during takeoff and landing, they want stuff turned off, O-F-F, off; but I don't know how they'd tell the difference if you just disabled wifi and closed the lid.
wgnoyes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:03 PM   #9
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeman0 View Post
I've read a few things about a special sleep mode the MBA has. Plus, since its a SSD
Is no big deal. I've been letting my 10 years old Windows machine go to sleep and it has HDD. Apple just re-branded it Instant-On (most of us find not so instant)

Quote:
do you ever turn it off before traveling with it or anything?
Up to you.

The airport people don't care as long as you are not using it during take-off/landing. When sleep on battery, WIFI doesn't come on so u won't bring down the plane.
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:51 PM   #10
CoMoMacUser
macrumors 6502

BTW, does Power Nap work with third-party programs such as Outlook or just Apple software?
CoMoMacUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:25 PM   #11
plucky duck
macrumors 6502

I leave mine on 24/7, as I have it set to download shows while I am at work and can come home to enjoy instead of waiting. Saves me more power than doing the same thing on the 27" iMac.

The monitor I will set to turn off after a few minutes, but the computer stays active. I never turn off my iPad either.
plucky duck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:37 PM   #12
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by plucky duck View Post
I never turn off my iPad either.
Technically the iPad/iPod don't have power buttons. The so called OFF button is to disable the home button and touchscreen to avoid unintended wake ups.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoMoMacUser View Post
BTW, does Power Nap work with third-party programs such as Outlook or just Apple software?
PowerNap doesn't sound like a full-fledge scheduler. Am hoping there is a third-party that would do this, haven't researched.

Again, something built-in since WinXP, runs anything at a scheduled time and wakes up the machine to do so, every time or on AC only. OSX seems to be behind on certain things.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:34 PM   #13
kidwithdimples
macrumors 6502a

Rarely.

Usually just close the lid and I am good to go.
kidwithdimples is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:53 PM   #14
skinny*k
macrumors regular

I didn't vote in the poll—a turn-off isn't required with OS updates, just a restart. My MBA has been turned off one time since I bought it, and only because I let a friend use it and she turned it off when she was done; its nice to know that the power button works, though
skinny*k is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:01 PM   #15
Jimbo47
macrumors 6502a

Usually never unless I'm forced to. Though I did have to restart it a bunch of times last week. Something got screwed up somehow and it was getting stuck in "deep" sleep mode. I googled it and others had similar issues. If it was asleep for just awhile, it would start back up fine. However if it was asleep for an hour or more, it would freeze when I opened the lid. I ended up having to do a restore to fix it.
Jimbo47 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:57 PM   #16
shakeman0
macrumors 6502a

Just got it in the mail. I'm loving it so far. It's really fast compared to my '09 MBP. I don't think I'll be turning it off much either.
shakeman0 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:07 PM   #17
0x000000
macrumors 6502

Congrats. I also never turn off my macs... I've had uptimes of months and the speed was just the same as always, so it really bugs me to see that some people do turn their macbooks off every day. It feels weird, but no matter what you say, they still do it. If their lifes had a face, I'd punch it real hard
0x000000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:22 PM   #18
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0x000000 View Post
If their lifes had a face, I'd punch it real hard
My aunt completely powers down her desktop machine after every use. She even physically reaches down and pulls the modem's power ward from the wall.

Can't punch.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:23 PM   #19
gertruded
macrumors regular

I turn off all my computers when not in actual use. There are back doors on all our machines that the authorities and our ruling corporations can access.

It is also important to use several different and rotating hard drives at with different OS's for startup and use different wireless networks during the day.

I have one computer that never goes on line to consolidate. The wi-fi card has been physically disabled.

Last edited by gertruded; Nov 13, 2012 at 09:32 PM.
gertruded is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:16 AM   #20
0x000000
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by gertruded View Post
I turn off all my computers when not in actual use. There are back doors on all our machines that the authorities and our ruling corporations can access.

It is also important to use several different and rotating hard drives at with different OS's for startup and use different wireless networks during the day.

I have one computer that never goes on line to consolidate. The wi-fi card has been physically disabled.
0x000000 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:30 AM   #21
iamsen47
macrumors regular

When not in use, always.

0 watts used is always better than however little during sleep.

Same goes for all other devices, routers, tvs, etc. I just switch off the mains.
iamsen47 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:54 AM   #22
BeginnerXP
macrumors newbie

I never turn my MBA off, power nap allows MBA to receive emails while it sleeps as well and I like that, power consumption while sleeping is very low so it doesn't concern me either.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:56 AM   #23
twintin
macrumors 6502

Never turn my MBA off unless I have to like yesterday when after an uptime of 38 days my VPN wouldn't disconnect for some reason. Closing the LID is all I do otherwise.
twintin is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:16 AM   #24
coldjeanzzz
macrumors 6502a

I haven't found any evidence of either one being detrimental to the laptop, but personally I like turning it off every night. and having all my processes and RAM reset when I turn it back on.
coldjeanzzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:39 AM   #25
in2tech
macrumors member

I have found since getting my MBA about 3 weeks ago that I am not turning it off and basically leaving it on all the time and letting the display dim and not soon thereafter the computer goes to sleep the way I have my settings. Also because I feel less likely to get virus attacks, while away or sleeping with OSX.

My only concern is and has always been when a thunderstorm comes through my area. Yes I have it plugged into a surge protector but storms have always freaked me out. I feel like if we get a powers surge or the power goes out and than comes back on it might damage the computer. Especially those storms that turn the power off and back on several times when the power company transformers are trying to fix the situation and struggle to figure out if they can beat the storm or not!

Are storms an issue for anyone! Have you ever had a computer fried because of a storm?
in2tech is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air