Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cooa99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
Hi Guys,

I am considering moving away from the use of an iphone as a communication device, hence looking at the Galaxy S3 as a likely contender. However I am still tied to apple ecosystem due to other apple products I have e.g. Ipad2, ATV2,ATV3,MBPrand daughter's ipod Touch 4 .....

So I was thinking of buying a new Galaxy S3 and a New Ipod Touch 5.

Then it occurred to me that rather than buying a new Touch 5, I could simply use my Iphone 4s sim free as an ipod....!

So if we completely ignore the obvious such as purchase costs, Weights and presence/absence of sim slot, does the new Ipod Touch 5 have any advantage/disadvantage over the Iphone 4S ?

cheers

cooa99

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
So if we completely ignore the obvious such as purchase costs, Weights and presence/absence of sim slot, does the new Ipod Touch 5 have any advantage/disadvantage over the Iphone 4S ?

cheers

cooa99

I'm not sure that you can ignore the idea of having to buy something vs. using something that you already own.

That aside, the primary advantages that the touch would hold over the 4S are the larger screen and less breakable body.

Disadvantages include a slightly less wonderful camera and no GPS.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Hi Guys,

I am considering moving away from the use of an iphone as a communication device, hence looking at the Galaxy S3 as a likely contender. However I am still tied to apple ecosystem due to other apple products I have e.g. Ipad2, ATV2,ATV3,MBPrand daughter's ipod Touch 4 .....

So I was thinking of buying a new Galaxy S3 and a New Ipod Touch 5.

Then it occurred to me that rather than buying a new Touch 5, I could simply use my Iphone 4s sim free as an ipod....!

cheers

cooa99

Don't bother spending money to get yourself a new iPod Touch when your 4S can already carry out all of it's functions. If you're just listening to music, the 4S is more than capable of doing that. Just take out your SIM card, turn on airplane mode and you're all set.

Eddy Munn

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2008
If you can sell your iPhone 4S for more than a new iPod Touch, that may be a viable solution.
You will have some money to put towards your new Galaxy S3 too.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
The screen alone is worth it in my opinion. I still think its a bit small but it's a HUGE improvement over the 3.5inch size. Going back to the 4s and other devices is painful. Everything feels squashed and cramped.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
The screen alone is worth it in my opinion. I still think its a bit small but it's a HUGE improvement over the 3.5inch size. Going back to the 4s and other devices is painful. Everything feels squashed and cramped.

But if he only wants to listen to music on it, I don't think there's a need for a bigger screen.

cooa99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
I received a Touch 5 64B from apple yesterday so looks like I am going to return it back again.
I am not going to be watching video on it's bigger screen size is lost on me.

The only advantage of the Touch 5 over Iphone4s is its better front facing camera, so looks like I will stick with the Iphone 4s and possibly buy the Galaxy S3 as well

cheers guys

jspandorf

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2012
for the majority of differences, the iPhone is the better way to go. Yes, you may have a bigger screen to work with on the touch, but you get more functionality out of the 4S.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.