Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 5, 2012, 06:05 PM   #151
SFC Archer
macrumors 68000

For some of you that prefer the old ways:

1. Click upper left medu icon
2. Select "Show Menu Bar"
3. Select "View"
4. Select "Show Side Bar"

This will bring back what many are used to. However, Cover Flow and Re-sizing Cover Art is still missing and should never have been removed, it was not hurting anyone to be there and you had a choice to use/not use. Now we are all forced to "not use"
Old Dec 5, 2012, 06:10 PM   #152
pullfocus
macrumors 6502a

The only thing I want is when you uncheck "Show iTunes in the Cloud purchases" under the store prefs, that it stays unchecked.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 06:12 PM   #153
monotune
macrumors newbie

I have to say I miss Coverflow. I also want to be able to have Albums displayed by most recently added. Like a lot of you this is the default I used. New sound engine? I doubt it! Amarra is excellent!!!!!!!! Try it!
monotune is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 06:21 PM   #154
TigerWoodsIV
macrumors 6502

I can't believe they got rid of cover flow. That was the only way I ever considered sorting my music. I love seeing the album artwork. Luckily one of the views is half decent. A friend of mine went back to iTunes 10 because of it though. Stupid to not even have the option.
TigerWoodsIV is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 06:29 PM   #155
geomacbcn
macrumors newbie

slowest search enging EVER!

What a dinosaur stuck-in-a-tarpit-SLOW search engine. I DO have 50,000+ tracks, admittedly, but that ain't grounds for the molasses-slow speed. Version 10 worked like a dream. I guess apple is making it unbearable for users of 'vintage' 5 year old dual corpse processor macs. Time to bury our slow macs in landfill, get a life, and pay the speed tax.
geomacbcn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 07:21 PM   #156
Stella
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
I'll never understand people using 'only a small minority liked X' as a justification for removing features... only a small minority of computer users use OS X at all, you'd think Apple would be a little more sensitive to accommodating the wishes of the minority when it doesn't really have to impact the majority in any way...
+1
Apple don't give it's customers choice.

Apple are about the majority.

It's a wonder the terminal still exists in OSX. It costs apple money to keep it there and I expect the majority do not use it.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 08:56 PM   #157
bumblebritches5
macrumors 6502

Hopefully they add back the ability to search who's featured in the songs, I use the composer tag, which worked before, but Apple apparently broke, because that's what Apple does now.
bumblebritches5 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:22 PM   #158
Mr. Gates
macrumors 68020

You know what's funny.

And I know this will piss you all off, but, Windows Media player is now 10x more functional and useful than iTunes.

If it worked with iPhone and was available on Mac it would be a hit.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:39 PM   #159
davydavy
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monotune View Post
I have to say I miss Coverflow. I also want to be able to have Albums displayed by most recently added. Like a lot of you this is the default I used. New sound engine? I doubt it! Amarra is excellent!!!!!!!! Try it!
I agree 100% - my everyday use of itunes is coverflow with the albums listed by most recently added, so I'm keeping well clear of this 'upgrade'.
davydavy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:43 PM   #160
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullfocus View Post
The only thing I want is when you uncheck "Show iTunes in the Cloud purchases" under the store prefs, that it stays unchecked.
This and duplicate search is all I need.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:58 PM   #161
sanke1
macrumors 6502

Cover art appears blurry in Album view.

They need to remove Cover Flow bloat from iOS as well.
sanke1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:09 PM   #162
MacFoodPoisoner
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanke1 View Post
Cover art appears blurry in Album view.

They need to remove Cover Flow bloat from iOS as well.
Apple has become remarkably stupid in ui design. Stupid as in ms circa 2000-2005 stupid. Big time stupid. The remove cover flow in the only place were cover flow is warranted, because, well, cd's, lp's have, well COVERS, and it's nice to browse through them as if you were browsing through your physical items, BUT they have retained cover flow in the os where you browse files as.. covers... They take it away from the one place it makes sense, and maintain it where it doesn't. Millions of people like cover flow in itunes even if they are a minority, almost no one likes it in os x. It stays in os x, it goes away in itunes. Complete and utter horse ****.
MacFoodPoisoner is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:23 PM   #163
amps211
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFoodPoisoner View Post
Apple has become remarkably stupid in ui design. Stupid as in ms circa 2000-2005 stupid. Big time stupid. The remove cover flow in the only place were cover flow is warranted, because, well, cd's, lp's have, well COVERS, and it's nice to browse through them as if you were browsing through your physical items, BUT they have retained cover flow in the os where you browse files as.. covers... They take it away from the one place it makes sense, and maintain it where it doesn't. Millions of people like cover flow in itunes even if they are a minority, almost no one likes it in os x. It stays in os x, it goes away in itunes. Complete and utter horse ****.
idk. The only time I ever use cover flow is in the finder. I have a folder of pictures on my desktop and when I want to scroll through it I turn on cover flow. A million times better than trying to look at the thumbnails to figure out what I'm looking at.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanneo View Post
You can do this by going to "Songs" and sorting by "Date Added".

J
or just put back the side bar on the left and use the 'recently added' playlist
amps211 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:42 AM   #164
SeaFox
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
...you'd think Apple would be a little more sensitive to accommodating the wishes of the minority when it doesn't really have to impact the majority in any way...
Apple's stake in portable music players and online music sales isn't the minority, though. They are the Microsoft of digital media sales, and they're apparently learning to act like Microsoft now, too (our way or no way, who cares what the customer really wants).
SeaFox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 01:04 AM   #165
mackandproud
macrumors 6502

11 is a POS. The only meaningful upgrade I will make is to revert back to 10.

If it ain't f'in' broke....

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gates View Post
You know what's funny.

And I know this will piss you all off, but, Windows Media player is now 10x more functional and useful than iTunes.

If it worked with iPhone and was available on Mac it would be a hit.

Itunes 11 is the worst piece of mac software I have ever used. And it's not even close.
mackandproud is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 01:04 AM   #166
Rad99004
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySoul View Post
Mine has crashed a lot, actually.
Same here. Its running slower too.
Rad99004 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:45 AM   #167
mackandproud
macrumors 6502

What alternatives do we have to itunes for managing our music libraries?

I tried to reinstall itunes 10 and had some problems getting it up and running again.

I know I'm supposed to use time machine in the event that I don't like a program or an update, but I never expected 11 to be so BAD.

The search feature in particular is complete trash.

I also hate the fact that there is only ONE list which shows bitrate.

I hate 11. This is the first piece of software from apple in a long time which has led me to doubt their competence.
mackandproud is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:47 AM   #168
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavika411 View Post
Not to derail the thread, but can you teach me what you mean by this? I wasn't aware that there were apps that had better sound quality than iTunes. Or, put another way, I didn't realize that iTunes had bad sound quality (unrelated to inherent mp3-type issues). I'm quite curious. Thanks.
If your intention is to use speakers, other than the built-in ones, there are many options out there to significantly improve your iTunes library's sound quality. Here's one of many: http://highresolutiontechnologies.com/
macs4nw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 03:26 AM   #169
MadeTheSwitch
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gates View Post
Here is the deal with CoverFlow

IT WAS AN OPTION ! You didn't have to like it or use it at all !

For having your songs on shuffle with a stereo system hooked up to the TV it was Awesome !

Saying you're glad it's gone is stupid.
Not if it was an impact on performance, which it very well may have been. Course Apple could have dropped it for some sort of legal reason I have heard floating around as well.
MadeTheSwitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 05:20 AM   #170
Manderby
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolmagicguy View Post
View > Show Sidebar
Hm. I had used the new iTunes for a week now without the sidebar and was quite happy. But now I turned the sidebar back on for a change. How could I miss the sidebar! This is so much easier and a much cleaner look.

About the coverflow: For me, one great disadvantage of coverflow is the need to scroll horizontally. And horizontal scrolling with anything related to a list of items is bad, bad, bad. Also, I only have very few songs with album art. But I admit, Coverflow in Safari History has saved me several times already.
Manderby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 05:58 AM   #171
stol
macrumors member

Am I the only one missing the Album List view that was introduced in iTunes 10? I can see no way to view songs in a list along with their covers now... The Artist View list comes close in terms of appearance but has nothing to do in context.

Also, to those suggesting that we should sort using the Date Added column in list view, iTunes rarely imports tracks (not bought from the iTunes store) in order. Sorting a playlist by Date Added usually results in playing back an album out of order, which is very frustrating. I actually made up a Hazel script to import tracks in reverse order so that when sorting by Date Added, Track 1 comes up first (as the most recently imported). Then again, no way to view Album Art this way - ugh!

I was secretly hoping that the new iTunes would feature a "Date Added by Album" sorting option... this, along with the new "Grid" view would be awesome, but no - Grid view means that we should always sort by Artist/Title/Year/Genre/Rating [<- boring!] - No Date Added option there...

----------

Also, for those that haven't noticed it, the "old" search behavior - instant filtering of the displayed list of tracks instead of spotlight-style results (which I find terribly slow) - is still there. All you have to do is click on the magnifying lens in the search box and uncheck the "Search Entire Library" option.
stol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:01 AM   #172
iEvolution
macrumors 65816

Geez Apple we aren't all illiterate idiots. Simplification with less features is a downgrade to me. Now the damn program is missing features that iTunes had back at 5.0.

Fortunately the latest generation iPods/iPhone can still run under the iTunes 10 program.
iEvolution is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:08 AM   #173
OllyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by stol View Post
Also, to those suggesting that we should sort using the Date Added column in list view, iTunes rarely imports tracks (not bought from the iTunes store) in order. Sorting a playlist by Date Added usually results in playing back an album out of order, which is very frustrating. I actually made up a Hazel script to import tracks in reverse order so that when sorting by Date Added, Track 1 comes up first (as the most recently imported). Then again, no way to view Album Art this way - ugh!
If you sort by Date Added, select one of the songs in the album and click the Album button it will display the album with the tracks in the correct order.
OllyW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:26 AM   #174
fa8362
macrumors 65816

Guess I won't be upgrading. When I use iTunes, I use cover flow nearly exclusively. Lately though, I only use iTunes for cataloguing, not playing music.
fa8362 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:11 AM   #175
stol
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllyW View Post
If you sort by Date Added, select one of the songs in the album and click the Album button it will display the album with the tracks in the correct order.
Well, what I had in iTunes 10, a list by date added (never mind I had to sort it out by myself with scripting) with Album artwork (the Album List View it is) is now gone, for no apparent reason (it's still there somehow in the Artist View). Clicking on the Album button takes me to Grid View, which while I think is a great improvement over the previous one, stops playing when the Album is finished - even if it would keep on playing, it would not continue to the next album in the "date added" order - so it is not my preferred playback mode.

I've submitted my concerns on the iTunes feedback page, now that it finally has an option for the correct iTunes version (it was stuck in 10.6.3 last time I had it checked)
stol is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion