Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
I have played around with the mini 3 different times at Best Buy. I still could not see how people are calling the display "bad." I did notice the "calendar" app's text was very small--hard to read but not fuzzy. I looked at cnn.com, espn.com, nba.com, and the text looked great (even after zooming in)!

I don't think yahoo.com would let me zoom in though. Other than that and the calendar, I couldn't see fuzzy text, so I'm asking you all who said the display is bad: when are you finding the text fuzzy or bad(specific apps/websites)? I am asking because I am very close to purchasing one. I have read a few threads here, but I do not recall specific examples. I would like to go back to Best Buy and see your examples in person to judge for myself.

Thanks in advance.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Does the BestBuy have any iPad 3/4 near the mini that you can compare? Because unless you compare it to a retina display, the mini screen is going to look just fine.

For me, the difference is most noticeable when I play games like Bejweled. The colors look much brighter and clearer on 3/4. Also, text is clearer on any app -- just open up the same webpage on mini and a retina iPad, and if you don't notice a diff, well then, you are one of those people who'll be happy with a mini.

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
Yes there was a 3/4 next to it. There were other people next to me though, so I couldn't really (or didn't want to) jump back and forth. Thank you for the helpful reply! More like this is appreciated!

I have an iphone 5, but I don't use it heavily like a lot of you. So far with the little I have seen, I am impressed with the mini's display even though I use a retina screen daily on the iphone.

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
Text is where it is most noticeable - any text anywhere, on a website, in iBooks, in Mail, anywhere and everywhere. If you're fine with it, go ahead and purchase, don't torture yourself with it (at least until the retina model comes out!)

Now that I'm used to retina displays on my iPad 3 and iPhone 5, the iPad mini looks horribly pixelated to me. A few years ago I would have said it was an excellent screen, but excellent is no longer good enough for me.

Some people say they can't tell the difference, that's either because they're trying to convince themselves, or because their eyesight is poor - in which case it is a retina display for them!

Fritter60

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
It's not bad but. compared with the 4 it's inferior however you pays your money and takes your choices.

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
Text is where it is most noticeable - any text anywhere, on a website, in iBooks, in Mail, anywhere and everywhere. If you're fine with it, go ahead and purchase, don't torture yourself with it (at least until the retina model comes out!)

Now that I'm used to retina displays on my iPad 3 and iPhone 5, the iPad mini looks horribly pixelated to me. A few years ago I would have said it was an excellent screen, but excellent is no longer good enough for me.

Some people say they can't tell the difference, that's either because they're trying to convince themselves, or because their eyesight is poor - in which case it is a retina display for them!

The mini wasnt meant to be a top spec tablet. It is just a smaller version of the ipad with a much smaller price. If we are talking about the base model which is $329, you cant expect to have it all at that price point from Apple.

They way these Minis are selling, I think plenty of people do not mind the pixelated screen. I have it and it does not bother me, but if I needed a better screen/specs I would have an ipad 4 near me instead of the mini.

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012

Maybe that's what the deal is. I'm on a computer all day, and work directly under fluorescent lighting 10 hours/day. I get eye fatigue fairly quickly.

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
In terms of lightness the 4 is not much heavier.Buy it!

Don't really want to pay the extra $170. I won't be a heavy user. Mainly using on the couch while watching TV, or in the bed before I go to sleep. $500 is pretty steep for something I won't use heavily.

I know I'm swaying away from the topic, but I also can't make up my mind on whether to buy it online (tax/shipping free) or go to Best Buy and use a $50 gift card. I worry about getting a defective one online though and having to deal with the hassle of returning it if it's defective. Much easier just to go to a Best Buy to return if I'm not satisfied or it's defective.

More input on the negative examples of the display please.

Last edited:

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
Maybe that's what the deal is. I'm on a computer all day, and work directly under fluorescent lighting 10 hours/day. I get eye fatigue fairly quickly.

I don't think you'll notice your eyesight getting worse gradually. I didn't when I was 12; I thought the teacher's handwriting was poor (it was, but that wasn't the problem). When I went to an optician and got glasses, I was amazed at how sharp everything was, and I could then read the blackboard from the back of the class.

A couple of years ago I had laser treatment, now I can see without glasses, and I see jagged pixels everywhere I look. Maybe I should go outside more, I hear the graphics are amazing...

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I have had the first-gen iPad, iPad 2, and iPad 3.....and all of the iPhones except iPhone 4S, so I've had experience with devices without and with the retina screen. Yesterday I bought an iPad Mini and brought her home to the household of two devices with retina screens and 1 device (iPad 2) without. I think a lot of people are making a big deal of something rather unimportant. Do I love the retina screens on my iPhone 5 and iPad 3? Sure, I do, they are gorgeous. However, the iPad Mini screen is NOT THAT BAD. If, when lying in bed, I bring the screen very close to my face I can see the pixels and such a whole lot more than I would if I did the same with my devices with a retina screen, but that does not mean I cannot enjoy using the iPad Mini. I spent some time last night reading in bed (a whole lot more comfortable than using the heavier full-sized iPad!) and then today some time playing with it in a couple of games, checking forums, reading the Washington Post.....and guess what, my eyes aren't bleeding or falling out of my head because I used something which was not a retina screen!

My primary purpose in purchasing and using the iPad Mini is to take it with me when I am leaving the house. It will be a lot lighter to carry and the smaller size means I won't always need large bags or purses, I can use something more the size of a normal purse. When out-and-about I often pause to check my emails or my forums, especially if out for a sustained period of time. The iPad Mini will do just fine for that purpose. If I were going out somewhere and knew I'd be showing off my photos, well, sure, that's when I'd tote the iPad 3, since the retina screen does really nice things for my images.

Apple clearly had a specific plan in mind and a target audience in mind when designing this latest iPad, and I think they wanted to make it affordable and also as useable as possible for a lot of people old and young. I am very happy they have brought out the device now rather than waiting another year or two or however long it would take to create the device with a retina screen. Rather than spending a lot of time trying to compare the iPad Mini without a retina screen to other devices with it, why not simply appreciate the device for what it DOES have and what it DOES do? I think it is already making a lot of people very, very happy and even more will be after December 25th......

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
^Thanks for your reply-very informative. Would be interesting to see other phones on the mini (other than the ones that are from the factory that you know are going to look great).

In what ways could Best Buy have improved the screen in store? Some have said on here it's not as good when you get the device home. Not sure I'm on the fence with that claim though.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

If you get eye fatigue, then reading on a 3/4 is going to be less tiring, even if you aren't consciously aware of the difference while looking at the screen.

That said, it also depends on how long you are going to be reading on the thing. If you are planning to read War & Peace, I'd say go with the retina screen, but if you are just going to use it 1-2 hours a day, the mini screen should be fine.

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
If you get eye fatigue, then reading on a 3/4 is going to be less tiring, even if you aren't consciously aware of the difference while looking at the screen.

That said, it also depends on how long you are going to be reading on the thing. If you are planning to read War & Peace, I'd say go with the retina screen, but if you are just going to use it 1-2 hours a day, the mini screen should be fine.

I wouldn't put that kind of stress on my eyes (to do any heavy reading such as a book on any electronic device other than the Kindle that looks like paper). My eyes will tire no doubt. I will use the mini daily for no more than an hour. That might even be stretching it. I'll scan websites, watch videos, etc.

Harleyhum

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2009
Eye strain

FWIW I decided to return my Mini on a Sunday morning while reading the NYT app. My eyes felt like I had stayed up all the night...and I hadn't. It was that moment that I decided to return the Mini and wait for retina. That morning I switched back to the iPad 3 and it was like drinking from a cool mountain stream with my eyes. Now that I think about it, I spend all day staring at a not-very-high-resolution monitor and have never experienced eye strain the way I did with Mini.

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
FWIW I decided to return my Mini on a Sunday morning while reading the NYT app. My eyes felt like I had stayed up all the night...and I hadn't. It was that moment that I decided to return the Mini and wait for retina. That morning I switched back to the iPad 3 and it was like drinking from a cool mountain stream with my eyes. Now that I think about it, I spend all day staring at a not-very-high-resolution monitor and have never experienced eye strain the way I did with Mini.

I experience this all the time, even when I get 8 hours of sleep. These computer monitors kill my eyes. This is good to know, thank you.

That's why I'm leaning more towards buying it a local retail shop rather than online in case I need to return it. More of a hassle shipping something back.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
In what ways could Best Buy have improved the screen in store? Some have said on here it's not as good when you get the device home. Not sure I'm on the fence with that claim though.

Well, lighting in stores in general tend to be brighter than in a typical home. I think that does make a difference in how the screens look. Also, no matter how long you play with a device in a store, you are going to spend a lot more time with it at home, and as you spend more time, you notice more details about the device that werent apparent at first.

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
Well, lighting in stores in general tend to be brighter than in a typical home. I think that does make a difference in how the screens look. Also, no matter how long you play with a device in a store, you are going to spend a lot more time with it at home, and as you spend more time, you notice more details about the device that werent apparent at first.

Definitely agree

sam2428

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
Houston, TX
I agree that the screen is not that bad. I can see how the retina is better, but unless you are comparing the two... It is not bad at all. Just my two cents though... It doesn't bother me.

I typically use it to browse in landscape mode because it can be a little fuzzy in portrait at times.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 655

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
Thanks for the screencap. I need to look at macrumors on it as well. Can't believe I forgot that!

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
When I first picked up the iPad mini I couldn't read the text at all and found pictures simply hard to see.

However once I had switched it on the screen displayed very commendable clarity and I found the viewing angles excellent.

Very possibly those who criticize the device are unaware of this handy hint.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.