Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:18 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

UN Releases 'Calendar of Observances' App to Keep Track of International Days

The United Nations has released an app, created by three volunteers, to keep track of the United Nations observances such as World AIDS Day on December 1, or the International Day of Happiness on March 20th.

UN Calendar of Observances: Making a Difference allows users to import observances into the iPhone calendar and includes sharing options for email and social media.

Quote:
The app is the electronic version of the print United Nations Making a Difference 2013 Calendar, which highlights areas of UN achievements through high-resolution photos and text bullets. The electronic version was developed -- at no cost to the United Nations -- by United Nations Online volunteers Christopher Bell (New Zealand), Aveline Sodji (Canada) and Andrew Thornton (United Kingdom), working with the UN Department of Public Information (DPI). DPI staff and interns created app-specific icons and provided development support.

"Working for the United Nations in any capacity is an honour, but doing so on a voluntary basis--even in this small way--seems to be the purest way to give back to an organization committed to world peace, development and human rights", said Mr. Thornton, the coordinator of the volunteers.
UN Calendar of Observances: Making a Difference is a free download on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: UN Releases 'Calendar of Observances' App to Keep Track of International Days
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:22 AM   #2
Joe-Diver
macrumors 6502

Its a good thing too. I have such a hard time with all these holidays.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:23 AM   #3
RoboCop001
macrumors 65816

Nice. It would be cool if they also added the option to import or subscribe to the calendar, so you can have the days right in the Calendar app.

EDIT: Looks like there's an option to import

Last edited by RoboCop001; Dec 5, 2012 at 12:55 PM.
RoboCop001 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:26 AM   #4

Very neat.
184550 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:34 AM   #5
mactmaster
macrumors 6502

How about an ICS file that I can subscribe to.
mactmaster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:35 AM   #6
coder12
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboCop001 View Post
Nice. It would be cool if they also added the option to import or subscribe to the calendar, so you can have the days right in the Calendar app.
I was thinking the same thing. It's not like it's hard to create a file to import into your Google Calendar or iCal or anything else. Plus, events can be added/edited automagically with that too.

PS: This is a sweet app.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:57 AM   #7
nagromme
macrumors G4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mactmaster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by coder12 View Post
I was thinking the same thing. It's not like it's hard to create a file to import into your Google Calendar or iCal or anything else. Plus, events can be added/edited automagically with that too.

PS: This is a sweet app.
2nd paragraph: "UN Calendar of Observances: Making a Difference allows users to import observances into the iPhone calendar and includes sharing options for email and social media.”

(Import is all I’d need too—I doubt I’d use the app itself much.)
nagromme is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:12 PM   #8
RoboCop001
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
2nd paragraph: "UN Calendar of Observances: Making a Difference allows users to import observances into the iPhone calendar and includes sharing options for email and social media.

(Import is all Id need tooI doubt Id use the app itself much.)
How'd I miss that? lol. Anyway yea I discovered that option when I installed it.

I wonder if it updates in the background or if one must open the app to do so.
RoboCop001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:27 PM   #9
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
International Day of Happiness on March 20th.
Weird.. pretty sure we celebrate that on the 17th here in Ireland.. Followed by the International Day of Headaches on the 18th.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:46 PM   #10

Nice app, I will try it out.
50548 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:48 PM   #11
lazyrighteye
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Or these holidays were an ON/OFF toggle in Calendar settings.
lazyrighteye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:49 PM   #12
ffransis
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mactmaster View Post
http://www.webcal.fi/cal.php?id=44&ts=1292603314
ffransis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 05:01 PM   #13
andythornton
macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
2nd paragraph: "UN Calendar of Observances: Making a Difference allows users to import observances into the iPhone calendar and includes sharing options for email and social media.

(Import is all Id need tooI doubt Id use the app itself much.)

I am one of the three volunteers that worked on this application. It is nice to see people being nice about it (I had been reluctant to even look at the comments out of fear of it getting slammed). All three of us were working regular jobs and just spent our free time working on this application over the past few months (well, we started early September with the requirements). The sponsor at the United Nations is keen to hear how the application could be improved, I am not sure I understand the points above regarding ICS files ... but if someone would like to explain a little more I can make sure that the requirement makes it to the sponsor. I think they may be putting together another team of volunteers in 2013 to either extend it/replace it or something - or at the very least pull in 2014 data (we didnt have time to implement a server-side component that holds the data, but that might be something in a future version).

If you think you'd like to do some online volunteering yourself, please consider the UN

http://onlinevolunteering.org/en/index.html
andythornton is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 05:12 PM   #14
ffransis
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by andythornton View Post
...I am not sure I understand the points above regarding ICS files ... but if someone would like to explain a little more I can make sure that the requirement makes it to the sponsorhttp://onlinevolunteering.org/en/index.html
In response to the first request above for an ICS file, I posted a link to a calendar of UN observances. I have been subscribing to that calendar for some considerable time, and use the calendar on both my computer and tablet. I have no idea who is responsible for maintaining that ICS calendar, but there should be no need to duplicate effort. I suggest that the UN people responsible for the new iOS application cooperate with those behind the multi-platform ICS calendar, and work to keep it complete and up-to-date.
ffransis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 05:33 PM   #15
andythornton
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffransis View Post
In response to the first request above for an ICS file, I posted a link to a calendar of UN observances. I have been subscribing to that calendar for some considerable time, and use the calendar on both my computer and tablet. I have no idea who is responsible for maintaining that ICS calendar, but there should be no need to duplicate effort. I suggest that the UN people responsible for the new iOS application cooperate with those behind the multi-platform ICS calendar, and work to keep it complete and up-to-date.

Thanks FFransis
andythornton is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 01:57 AM   #16
annk
Administrator

ADMIN NOTE: Please keep the discussion about the app. If you'd like to discuss the UN, you can head over to the PRSI section.

Carry on.
annk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 04:54 PM   #17
mactmaster
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffransis View Post
Thanks bud
mactmaster is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion