Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alwaysbboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2012
I currently own Samsung's Galaxy S2 with a custom Jelly Bean (4.1.2) ROM installed on it and it's running smooth and great except that I have owned the device for a year already and also its screen quality bothers me (low PPI/Amoled).

Yes, I love installing custom ROMs and kernels but I could easily live without it as it consumes a lot of my free time. Oh, and jailbreaking seems to be just as fun.

The thing is, Nexus 4 16gb would cost me £355 unlocked whereas I could get an iPhone 5 32gb for £520 on a 2 year long contract (£21,5/month).

Also, it seems like Google will start shipping the Nexus 4 in 5-6 weeks, however, I could get an iPhone 5 before Christmas.

Why do I even look at the iPhone 5?
The price difference for me is £165, which is much less than what it is in the USA (price difference between Nexus 4 and iPhone 5) and I really like the apps available on the Appstore (yes, not all of them are available on Google Play store).

Apparently, I am worried that the iPhone's 5 screen is too small for reading text on it, yeah, I tend to use Tapatalk a lot! Yet it seems like the screen is the same length as my Galaxy S2 except it's a little narrower.

I would like to see reviews from people who have bought an iPhone 5 after owning a larger device such as Galaxy S3, Nexus or any other device.

I should also mention that I have no other Apple devices and have a Windows 7 PC.

Last edited:

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
The thing is, Nexus 4 16gb would cost me £355 unlocked

Make it £279

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_4_16gb

The price difference is not that big ? I think £240 is quite a lot actually. You can get a Nexus 4 8 and 16GB together for the price of a single iPhone 5 ... Just to put things in perspective ..

----------

I have had both and they are superb. I would find it difficult going back to the smaller screen of the iPhone 5 though.

I had the 4S before going to the S3 and I agree - wouldn't want to go back (taller is not really "bigger" is it).

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Use both and see which one you like the best. As Jibbajabba pointed out, though, the price difference is quite significant.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
I wouldn't suggest any of them, do you have other alternatives?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Use both and see which one you like the best. As Jibbajabba pointed out, though, the price difference is quite significant.

That is by far the best thing to do. Everyone can tell you what "they think" is better, but only you can decide what is best for you. Either way you will be happy.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
I had both until yesterday. In my opinion here's what it comes down to. Hardware vs software.

The iPhone 5's hardware is superior in almost every way. Remember just my opinion but I think the screen quality, both cameras, touch responsiveness, external speakers, earpiece, build quality, LTE, and battery life are all better on the iPhone.

That being said I STILL returned it and kept my Nexus 4. The reason is the software. Apple is playing it too safe. It's old, stale, boring, and it all works almost perfect. But the freedom and software experience on 4.2 Jellybean is fantastic. I am ready enjoying it. Also, I can't wait to have the ability to choose a new phone next year! With apple I would have a contract and have to wait a full two years. Ugh. Hope that helps!

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I had both until yesterday. In my opinion here's what it comes down to. Hardware vs software.

The iPhone 5's hardware is superior in almost every way. Remember just my opinion but I think the screen quality, both cameras, touch responsiveness, external speakers, earpiece, build quality, LTE, and battery life are all better on the iPhone.

That being said I STILL returned it and kept my Nexus 4. The reason is the software. Apple is playing it too safe. It's old, stale, boring, and it all works almost perfect. But the freedom and software experience on 4.2 Jellybean is fantastic. I am ready enjoying it. Also, I can't wait to have the ability to choose a new phone next year! With apple I would have a contract and have to wait a full two years. Ugh. Hope that helps!

you can still get a new phone...just would have to pay for it. You don't have to keep the iphone for two years, you would have to keep the same service carrier.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Well, buying the Nexus 4 unlocked for that price is obviously a better value. The screen size on the iPhone 5 is great for one-handed use, but I'll admit that I've been lusting for a larger screen lately. iOS is great and the apps are second to none, but it is getting long in the tooth. The build quality and battery life are fantastic, though.

It's a tough choice, you really can't go wrong with either. The Nexus 4 maybe sounds better for you, but who knows.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
you can still get a new phone...just would have to pay for it. You don't have to keep the iphone for two years, you would have to keep the same service carrier.

True. If you are willing to sell yours and buy a full price phone. Good point.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
The iPhone 5 is tiny, tiny I say! I feel like I can crush it in my hands... the narrowness still bothers me, too.

jqTpY.jpg

1JWNl.jpg

alwaysbboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2012
The iPhone 5 is tiny, tiny I say! I feel like I can crush it in my hands... the narrowness still bothers me, too.

Thanks for posting the images. It really looks like its too small for extended usage.

Big thanks to everybody who posted their opinion!
Most likely I am going to buy the Nexus 4, which I would then keep until the next Nexus phone comes out. I only wish Google shipped the devices earlier because I was expecting to get a new device before Christmas.

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

jqTpY.jpg

1JWNl.jpg

is it weird that I still think of the way the nexus 4 looks haha. It is such a sleek phone...probably my favorite design on the market.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011

jqTpY.jpg

1JWNl.jpg

The more of these pics I see, the more I'm drooling for a bigger screen. I actually wish there were capacitive buttons instead of onscreen buttons, though, it's a waste of screen real estate and looks weird to me.

alwaysbboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2012
The more of these pics I see, the more I'm drooling for a bigger screen. I actually wish there were capacitive buttons instead of onscreen buttons, though, it's a waste of screen real estate and looks weird to me.

You can modify/hide the buttons anyway.

EDIT: I an going to try my luck in some of the auctions on eBay. For £380 I can get the device shipped out tomorrow.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
^ plus, the buttons really do not seem like they take up screen real estate if that makes sense? It may be b.c I am use to iphones so it still was a bigger screen with the captive buttons.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
When the screen is turned off it looks soooo sexy because there are no buttons or logos. That is one reason I like the on screen buttons.

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
i have a 5..but the nexus 4 is really good. my roommate has one. Super smooth UI and screen looks good.

They just need to update the way stock apps look. I know you can change them, but by default they look hideous.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
^ plus, the buttons really do not seem like they take up screen real estate if that makes sense? It may be b.c I am use to iphones so it still was a bigger screen with the captive buttons.

I know what you mean but they do really take up space. I love playing games or browsing with them gone. :)

Michael

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011

I've said it before, I'm glad they're there. It makes the screen "smaller" and easier to reach across for one handed use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.