Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 5, 2012, 02:19 PM   #1
bbplayer5
macrumors 68020

This camera is driving me insane

Seems nearly ALL of my pictures have that purple glare effect on it. I cant take a single picture reliable without going through hoops indoors with overhead lighting.

I can take the same pictures with the GS3 without any issue and they come out better.

Is there some kinda filter you can put over the lens? I tried that case that supposedly reduces it - doesnt work.

At this point im about to sell the phone because my camera is important and that purple hue is irritating.
bbplayer5 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 02:24 PM   #2
Prime85
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbplayer5 View Post
Seems nearly ALL of my pictures have that purple glare effect on it. I cant take a single picture reliable without going through hoops indoors with overhead lighting.

I can take the same pictures with the GS3 without any issue and they come out better.

Is there some kinda filter you can put over the lens? I tried that case that supposedly reduces it - doesnt work.

At this point im about to sell the phone because my camera is important and that purple hue is irritating.
Maybe its has a defective camera. I have tried numerous times to get the purple glare with my iPhone 5 and i have not been able to replicate it.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 02:26 PM   #3
BFizzzle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime85 View Post
Maybe its has a defective camera. I have tried numerous times to get the purple glare with my iPhone 5 and i have not been able to replicate it.
i have no problem making it appear on mine, but its seriously a matter of millimeters.

OP.. try looking at the pic before you take it??
BFizzzle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 02:59 PM   #4
TaEbOm
macrumors member

Post examples
TaEbOm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 03:02 PM   #5
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68020

These chips are making me thirsty.

is there an apple store near you, see if you have the same results there with them. The exchange it if needed.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 03:03 PM   #6
Prime85
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFizzzle View Post
i have no problem making it appear on mine, but its seriously a matter of millimeters.

OP.. try looking at the pic before you take it??
Ok i see it now, You have to put the light source right outside of the view of the camera and it shows up. But it is barley noticeable and the light has to be directly outside of the view of the camera or it goes away.

Very interesting. Doesn't really affect the picture much and its very easy to avoid since you see it before actually taking the picture.

Old Dec 5, 2012, 04:52 PM   #7
Steevie
Banned

Unless this is happening in all your photos regardless of light source than you have an issue. if not then this issue has been discussed thoroughly.
Steevie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:26 PM   #8
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

If its happening to all your photos I'd suggest making an appointment at the apple store because your camera is defective.
Jordan921 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:31 PM   #9
Prime85
macrumors 6502a

I agree with the two previous posts, if it is happening to every photo like you said then something is wrong. Get it exchanged, and if its still within the 30 days they can't deny it to you or you can just return and purchase a new one.
Prime85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:33 PM   #10
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

I thought the purple glare issue happens to most camera phones out there as well. Some even reported that the 4S had it as well, but the issue wasn't that overblown back then.
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:39 PM   #11
Prime85
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeplance View Post
I thought the purple glare issue happens to most camera phones out there as well. Some even reported that the 4S had it as well, but the issue wasn't that overblown back then.
Yea it's a little overblown, it only happens when I am trying to make it show up. So since the OP says it happens in all his pictures then it must be a defect.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:42 PM   #12
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Yea it's a little overblown, it only happens when I am trying to make it show up. So since the OP says it happens in all his pictures then it must be a defect.
I guess...

Must have been a pain in the ass if whenever you took a picture and there's a purple tint to it. If it happened to me, I would've changed it asap.
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:05 PM   #13
rtomyj
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbplayer5 View Post

You know what's more annoying than a purple hue across pics? A blue tinted screen on the SIII, haha. Honestly though I have nothing else to contribute here...
rtomyj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 09:36 AM   #14
bbplayer5
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtomyj View Post
You know what's more annoying than a purple hue across pics? A blue tinted screen on the SIII, haha. Honestly though I have nothing else to contribute here...
You mean the hue you can fix with a simple free app on the android market?

Anyway. Its the overhead lighting where I work. Any picture I take that isnt angled downward has the hue from the lights on the ceiling. Literally EVERY picture. Im not going to post pictures because that would be frowned upon (where i work).

Either way, the entire top of the screen will be purple in most pictures due to the purple flare. It seems to be at its worst in doors. Outside, I can take a picture of anything and its fine.
bbplayer5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:20 AM   #15
Browns2212
macrumors regular

I get the purple hue on mine as well, but only when it's angled just at the right angle towards a bright light.

I just tilt the camera slightly and it goes away. It's not a "big deal" to me, but it is there sometimes.
Browns2212 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:26 AM   #16
Myiphone7
Banned

Quote:
Ok i see it now, You have to put the light source right outside of the view of the camera and it shows up. But it is barley noticeable and the light has to be directly outside of the view of the camera or it goes away.

Very interesting. Doesn't really affect the picture much and its very easy to avoid since you see it before actually taking the picture.

Wow please go to apple store no need to suffer with that glare. I have never ever had it not even once. Guess I lucked out maybe u will to changing it.
Myiphone7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:33 AM   #17
thadoggfather
macrumors 68030

I've had some 5's where purple flaring is intense, and other's where it's almost not noticeable at all and you really have to be purposefully trying to shoot a purple flare picture, like my current one.

Most DN's I've seen exhibit it in the smallest way possible, just like a 4S I tried side-by-side. My F2 it flared in like at least a quarter of the photo and in a lot more situations.

On this DN that I'm pleased with, the ring around the sapphire cut out looks more pronounced ( can see the groove easier), and less flush with the glass.

Maybe that helps?
thadoggfather is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:49 AM   #18
Damolee
macrumors regular

They all do it. It's the material used. The magic fix will be the iPhone 5S, infuriating but true.

Not a happy point n click camera on this phone now, unfortunately.
Damolee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:04 AM   #19
Prime85
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myiphone7 View Post
Wow please go to apple store no need to suffer with that glare. I have never ever had it not even once. Guess I lucked out maybe u will to changing it.
My phone is fine, it only does it if I purposely put the light right out of view.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone