Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:45 AM   #1
flavr
macrumors 6502

iPad 4 cooling down...

Just like many have mentioned here when I bought my iPad 4 the screen seemed a bit on the warmer side. Not bad but noticeable. Now after a few weeks of constant use the screen seems to have cooled down a bit and the whites are whiter. I heard these screens need to settle in a bit, I suspect thats what happened. So those of you with warmer screens, give it a bit and let the screen break in a little. It looks great now!
flavr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 02:49 PM   #2
Sinatrafan
macrumors newbie

I've noticed the same thing, though it's still too warm/yellow for my taste. My iPad 4 AT&T 64Gb is two weeks old. Initially, it was jarringly warm (coming from a 3), and is significantly warmer than my iP5, but it seems to be a bit cooler now, though it could be my mind playing tricks on me.

Anyone else with an LTE 4 have a warm screen? All other 4s I've seen (friends and Apple Store) are cooler, though each of these is WiFi-only.
Sinatrafan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 03:58 PM   #3
bevsb2
macrumors 6502

I purchased and returned 3 iPad 4s with LTE (2 with 64GB and 1 32GB) not because of the warmer screen, but because they all had yellow tints on various parts of the screen. I have an iPad 3 with a perfect bluish-white screen and wasn't willing to accept yellow tints on my new iPad's screen. All three were purchased from the Apple store and I was ready to give up, but on a whim bought one (64GB without LTE) at Best Buy and this one has a beautiful screen - warmer, but no yellow anywhere. I assumed I just got lucky. I bought the last one at Best Buy because I would have been embarrassed to return yet one more to the Apple store and thought maybe Best Buy's stock was from a different production lot. I mainly use it for web browsing, but it doesn't get overly warm.

Last edited by bevsb2; Dec 5, 2012 at 04:02 PM. Reason: additional information
bevsb2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 04:23 PM   #4
Sinatrafan
macrumors newbie

Though it's purely anecdotal and a small sample size, it makes me wonder if there's something to the LTE 4s being generally warmer/yellowish and the wifi models having whiter, cooler displays.

Maybe excess Samsung screens were used on the initial batch of wifi-onlys and the switch to LG was made when the LTEs were produced a couple weeks later?

I went to the Apple Store to switch, though the refurb they offered was worse than mine. At least I have a uniformly warm screen. I also have a noticeable light leak in the lower left corner, so if I decide I can't live with it and try to return, I have that in my hip pocket as a valid reason to exchange should the subjective warmer tint not fly with the powers that be.
Sinatrafan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 04:29 PM   #5
kallyq
macrumors regular

I'm on my 3rd wifi and they are all yellow (warm?) screens...not really blotchy but more of a brown/yellow rather than white. My iPad 3, like an above poster is white. I'm contemplating just keeping my 3 (although I got a good deal on the 4 with black Friday)
kallyq is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:04 AM   #6
rollzst
macrumors member

I got lucky with my iPad 4 screen. It is absolutely perfect with no light bleed, uniform cool colour. Whites are white and it couldn't be better. 32gb wifi lte.
http://www.integratech.co.uk
rollzst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 03:22 AM   #7
Ayemerica
macrumors 6502a

on my 2nd exchange for iPad 4 light bleed...going tomorrow for the 3rd.
Ayemerica is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:17 AM   #8
Medic311
macrumors 68000

iPad 4 has such bad light bleed that i ditched it and said no way am i playing the Retina screen lottery all over again (i still have flashbacks from the iPad 3 debacle...just kidding).

instead of paying $829, i went to the refurb store on Apple.com and bought the same configuration but in an iPad 3 refurb for $679.

screen is flawless

these iPads were rushed out the factory door without adequate assembly
Medic311 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:18 AM   #9
bevsb2
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinatrafan View Post
I went to the Apple Store to switch, though the refurb they offered was worse than mine. At least I have a uniformly warm screen. I also have a noticeable light leak in the lower left corner, so if I decide I can't live with it and try to return, I have that in my hip pocket as a valid reason to exchange should the subjective warmer tint not fly with the powers that be.
I returned my first iPad 4 within days and the genius agreed it was a bad screen and exchanged it for a new one. I returned the 2nd two for a refund and then bought new ones at a different time point so I didn't get any refurbished products. Twice I told the sales person at Apple that I just didn't like the screen and it had a yellow tint and they gave me a refund without even looking at the iPad. You should be able to get a screen that you are happy with. The screen on the iPad 4 that I am keeping is definitely warmer than my iPad 3, but it has no yellow at all and is easy on the eyes. It looks perfectly white when not side by side with the iPad 3. After using the new one for awhile the iPad 3 looks too blue.
bevsb2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad