Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What's your ideal laptop size?

• 11.6-inch

Votes: 6 2.9%
  • 12.5-inch

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • 13.3-inch

Votes: 68 32.5%
  • 14.1-inch

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • 15.4-inch

Votes: 93 44.5%
  • 17.3-inch

Votes: 22 10.5%

• Total voters

davidinva

macrumors 6502a
My vote is for a 13 as I use my Macbook as my main computer with an external monitor and keyboard. When I travel, the 13 is easier to carry and I don't use it for hours at a time. Works for me. Your mileage will vary.

raptorstv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
Does it feel weird to bring a 15.4" laptop to coffee shop like starbucks? Most ppl I see always bring 13-inchers

Last edited:

Mdwall

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
It's not the size of the boat; it's the motion in the ocean;)

Seriously though, I prefer 15" just because 17 is neat but kinda too big for the whole laptop thing and the 13 just feels too small. Of course ask a question like that and 10 people will probably give 10 different answers

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Seems like the majority of u are happy with the 15 inch

It's definitely the sweet spot between the 13 and 17.

Apple doesn't make 17" laptops anymore, so the choices are 11–15.

I think if you do a lot of work and need a 17", the 15" is super nice and you just need to get an external display and plug it in when you get home. A 17" is a bit too heavy to lug around and most of my friends who are designers definitely complain after they get the 17".

terriyaki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2005
Vancouver
I don't think that there is a "be-all, end-all" best size answer that works for everyone. Everyone has different needs and what may work for one person may not necessarily work for another.

With that said though, I will try to spur on the discussion a bit more by saying that I believe that a 13" or 11" Air would be great for someone who had a dedicated desktop machine. On the flip side something like the 15" rMBP or cMBP would be a great solution for someone who only owned one computer.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Who cares what most people have, especially if you have a couple inches more than they do?
We'll let this statement sit for a while... ;)

And on topic - I selected a 15" for my studies. I didn't regret it since a gamed a lot on it, but if I haven't been a gamer, a 12-13" model would have been much preferred.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Interesting that the 17" remains very much niche. I have not exactly caved in to the 15" rMBP as yet, but I have been hands on with it, and I've also put out a feeler as to the value of my current MBP 17"

The retina display may compensate for the loss in real-estate, but I'm still sort of on the fence....So I voted 17"

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
I would've loved a 14.1" version of the rMBP with the internals of the 15.6

But, otherwise, the 15" is perfect!

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
best consumer product award goes to......

15" only because of the introduction of the retina technology to notebooks, laptop is totally the wrong term for it cos you'd never use these on your lap, not good if you plan on having kids right? right.

17" is the Mother of all notebooks because the MacBook Pro is for PROSumers standard, ultimate size, you don't pick this up if you're just wanting to look good at a cafe, you'll look stupid or dramatic for sure. Show off !! Plus cafes are for socializing or relaxation, for those who have notebooks at cafes - man - lame-O ! Grow some muscles and quit whining about "lugging and weight", get over it.

Michason

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2012
15" only because of the introduction of the retina technology to notebooks, laptop is totally the wrong term for it cos you'd never use these on your lap, not good if you plan on having kids right? right.

17" is the Mother of all notebooks because the MacBook Pro is for PROSumers standard, ultimate size, you don't pick this up if you're just wanting to look good at a cafe, you'll look stupid or dramatic for sure. Show off !! Plus cafes are for socializing or relaxation, for those who have notebooks at cafes - man - lame-O ! Grow some muscles and quit whining about "lugging and weight", get over it.

The Cafe was just an example. How about school or the library?

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere

tumblr_ma0ieiO39q1qzhxyho2_500.jpg

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Without spending a lot of time using all of those screen sizes, I really like 13.3". 12" was a little too small for me, and 17" is nice but much too hard to carry. 15" sounds like a good compromise but why compromise when 13.3" has plenty of screen area and great portability?

efirmage

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2010
If the 13' Retina had a discrete graphics card it would be the ultimate portable. It is a great form factor.

But if you are working on any design, video, photo, or creative work it's got to be 15' or bigger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.