Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

capaneus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
I need to output the video from my iMac to a TV which only accepts HDMI connections, and a projector which essentially only accepts VGA.

I have a Mini DisplayPort - VGA adapter connected to a passive two port VGA signal splitter. Since the TV only accepts HDMI connections I have a hammerhead VGA - HDMI converter attached to that, and the projector is hooked up simply through VGA.

It works fine if I just hook up the projector but the moment I plug the hammerhead in nothing works. From what I've seen, the hammerhead adapter is known for it's broad compatibility and is well reviewed.

This has me wondering:
-Is this something the iMac can even do...output signal to two separate devices with differing resolutions and display formats?
-Does anyone have any experiencing using an analog to digital converter on an iMac?
-Any thoughts on a workaround? I'm thinking the best way is to avoid using the built in video controller as much as possible since it seems very limited. Do they make external video control boxes that I could plug the iMac into and the other displays and let that do the heavy lifting and process the video output...like an external video card? Don't know if that makes sense.

Thanks for any insight, this one has me stumped.

Ben

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.