Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tofray

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
Going to be switching to iMac after years of PC'ing, for a ton of reasons, but still want to play WoW. I'd like to buy a 2011 27" model, if it'll play well enough.

Can someone tell me how WoW runs on a 2011 27" with Radeon 6770m/6970m 512bm/1gb, with ideas on settings, frame rates, and playing in native res?

I really don't want to drop the $$$ on a 2012 model if I don't have to, but if the above spec'ed iMac won't play it well enough, or in native res, then I'll probably sell one of the kids so I can get a 2012 model :D

Thanks for any feedback.

cosmicjoke

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2011
Portland, OR
Going to be switching to iMac after years of PC'ing, for a ton of reasons, but still want to play WoW. I'd like to buy a 2011 27" model, if it'll play well enough.

Can someone tell me how WoW runs on a 2011 27" with Radeon 6770m/6970m 512bm/1gb, with ideas on settings, frame rates, and playing in native res?

I really don't want to drop the $$$ on a 2012 model if I don't have to, but if the above spec'ed iMac won't play it well enough, or in native res, then I'll probably sell one of the kids so I can get a 2012 model :D

Thanks for any feedback.

6770m is a bit sketchy for WoW, I have one of those in my mbp and it's not the greatest for it w/ TB Display at native resolution. The 6970m will be totally sufficient though.

NJelect

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2012
A big issue is heroic raids, 25man can cause slow response time which is frustrating.
I use to play the above on a decent PC and always had a difficult time, the latter included the connection.
Although, at the time I used Comcast (broadband) it never performed as I expected.
Truthfully, I believe (my opinion) many of the new games along with games designed for sole internet play require a fast computer.
However, if your just questing along with basic dungeons the majority of computers will operate in a decent manner.

Graveyard

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2009
Romania
Wow on iMac 27"

Thanks for any feedback.

I just got myself last month a 27" iMac. It has an i5 3,1 GHz cpu, 16 GB ram, 1TB hdd, Radeon HD6970 with 1 GB gddr5.
I haven't used Wow in the last few years because i haven't had too much spare time for that. Out of simple curiosity i installed wow on this iMac when i got it. I imediately bumped all the settings to the max. The only thing i didn't activate is the fsaa. At that resolution, who the heck needs it? It runs like a charm on my iMac. Haven't had any drops in performance as far as i can see. If i'd do a lot of gaming on it, it would be a dream machine. But lucky for me, i have my console collection to entertain me from time to time.

Tofray

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
I just got myself last month a 27" iMac. It has an i5 3,1 GHz cpu, 16 GB ram, 1TB hdd, Radeon HD6970 with 1 GB gddr5.
I haven't used Wow in the last few years because i haven't had too much spare time for that. Out of simple curiosity i installed wow on this iMac when i got it. I imediately bumped all the settings to the max. The only thing i didn't activate is the fsaa. At that resolution, who the heck needs it? It runs like a charm on my iMac. Haven't had any drops in performance as far as i can see. If i'd do a lot of gaming on it, it would be a dream machine. But lucky for me, i have my console collection to entertain me from time to time.

Thanks much for the reply...I was hoping that someone with the actual same specs would give feedback. Can you tell me if you were running it full screen and would you happen to know what kind of FPS you were getting?

apedance

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2012
Vienna
I tried WoW recently on my iMac 27 late 2009.

specs:
3.06 GHz (E7600) Intel Core 2 Duo
4gig Ram
ATI Radeon HD 4670 with 256MB of GDDR3 SDRAM

I ran it in native resolution with middle graphic settings. (no raids or smt.)

Got 25-40 fps.

Nevertheless the game is boring imo. ;)

Graveyard

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2009
Romania
@Tofray
I ran it full screen, native display resolution. I didn't have the fps counter on. If i get some spare time these days, i'll give it another go and post the result.

Tofray

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
@Tofray
I ran it full screen, native display resolution. I didn't have the fps counter on. If i get some spare time these days, i'll give it another go and post the result.

Thank you very much, Graveyard, that convinced me to go with a 2011 model. You just saved me about $1200! My youngest son will be happy to know he won't be sold now :D

And thanks to everyone else for the advice, and feedback....Much appreciated!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.