Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I got my replacement iPhone 5 today. One of many.

The screen is the most beautiful I've seen white and clear and no vertical scan lines, but I just noticed (because of that 'click down in the corners' thread) I noticed mine clicked in the bottom right. Doesn't seem to do it now, but while I put my ear up to it to see if it did, I could hear my phone hissing. As soon as I slide to unlock or lock the phone for example, or go from playing a song to pausing it, I hear a faint hiss/noise that sounds like fizz from a carbonated beverage for a few seconds before it returns to nothing. Almost as if it's some type of interference for a brief period. Doesn't seem like something I can hear while sounds are playing or songs, just when you put go from some type of noise to none. also, only up against my ear. From the normal listening distance, I don't think it's audible.

I don't I'm still gonna exchange this phone even if it's unique unless the speaker stops working or suddenly sounds blown because everything else seems fine, and I'm tired of the gamble. But, anyone else?

1st: annoying bee-like buzz in the earpiece while talking. apparently common with 4S.
2nd and 3rd: vertical scan lines, 3rd had front glass chipping
4th: best screen thus far, but still this current one is better. Problem was the phone would re-spring consistently after taking photos but at random intervals. no restore fixed it. i really didnt want to do this process again but the senior advisor said it was hardware and he's heard of this issue when the camera is faulty, but isnt isolated just to iPhone 5 and definitely should not be happening (i.e. isn't just a weird iOS 6 quirk/bug)
(current) - we shall see.

edit: its also something I can hear against my ear if I play a song but turn the volume down all the way. Not that this has any practical use.

EDIT2: time to stop sweating things. These boards have made me gone nuts.

Just tried with 3GS, didnt do it . OH NO ! tried my iPad3, did it!

Move along, nothing to see/hear :p

Very curious though

Last edited:

SledHeadMike

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2013
I've notice the same thing on my iPhone as well. When I do, I double tap the home key (Like you would do to bring up your active apps...) and then I tap the home key again. I am not sure why it corrects it but it does. I frist found this when I was trying to find the app making the noise. I was going to close one app at a time and found I could just correct it by doing the steps above.

I think I am reporting this as a bug to Apple. Now that I can reproduce it every time I am sure they could dig into the source of the issue.

One thing for sure, when my battery is dying fast I always check for the hiss and in most cases, there is one. When my battery is lasting most of the day, there is no hiss...

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
The noise you refer to is quite normal. It's "white noise" which is present in all electronic gear with audio output. The level is dependent the volume setting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.