Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:25 AM   #1
penno
macrumors newbie

Can't Put Newly Downloaded Applications Into Launchpad

So I have just purchased a new mac, and have been downloading new apps to set my mac up.

I downloaded Skype and an app called VLC from the internet (not from the app store on my mac, because I couldn't find these apps on there for some reason)

Both Skype and VLC work perfectly, and are currently sitting my dock. However, I'd like to put the VLC app into launchpad so its out of the way with the rest of my apps. Iv'e tried dragging it from the dock and dropping it into the launchpad icon (also in the dock) but launchpad won't take it. It will take any other app when I do this though.

How can I move this app into launchpad?
And why are these apps (Skype and VLC) not in the app store on my mac?
penno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 03:53 AM   #2
JediMeister
macrumors 68040

Launchpad may already contain Skype and VLC. Have you tried the two-finger swipe gesture left or right on your trackpad or Magic Mouse? Do you see the dot at the bottom of Launchpad like you do on an iOS device that indicates there is another page of applications? If you have a folder in Launchpad, maybe it contains Skype or VLC? See if this article on Launchpad has any pointers.

As to why Skype and VLC aren't on the App Store, the software developers probably don't want to have to go through the hassle of Apple's approval process, and besides, they probably get some revenue of some sort for people directly downloading from their websites. App developers do not have to post their software on the App Store if they don't want to, but GateKeeper will warn you about any apps you have installed but haven't run that don't meet whatever is your preset security level.
JediMeister is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help