Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:01 AM   #26
Cebuano1976
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Verrado, Buckeye, Arizona
It's not an APPLE issue.

It's a MyiPhone7 issue.
Cebuano1976 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:14 AM   #27
Myiphone7
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Here's an idea. I've said this before long time ago.

Why doesn't apple just put what is in the 5 S into the 5.

Yes it's lower profits for apple but its definitely good for the consumer.

I mean my friend bought a 3G S PRIMARILY for video capture.

A couple months later I bought a .99 cent video camera app for my 3G, which btw had been rejected by the App Store before the release of the 3G S.

I really hate it when companies hold back on technology just to release it 6-9 months later. Even 12.

If I was apple maybe I'd do the same. They're a business. They're goal is to make money.

But I'm not apple. I'm a consumer. So, therefore, I don't like it.
Myiphone7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:45 AM   #28
Damolee
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Look at all these wonderful iPhone 5 apps pushing the new hardware that I don't have.

The 4S remains the "current" device, Apple will delay this 5S long as possible.
Damolee is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:49 AM   #29
MAvery
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
I totally agree. It's the same thing with the iPad now too. All it's made me do is want to start skipping updates. What difference does it make is they put out a new product every 6 months, but it's only worth it to upgrade once a year?
MAvery is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:58 AM   #30
Tulani
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
They may just be up to a new strategy of giving variety and options to buyers as often as we are seeing with the competition.
Tulani is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:06 AM   #31
SR45
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myiphone7 View Post
No that's definitely a leak everyone thinks it is

----------

It's not like I don't want the 5 S and I do plan to buy one but I just wish I had more time to enjoy my 5.

I would just like to have the latest and greatest for longer period of time like 12 months but with leaks of the 5 S it's so hard to enjoy the 5.

I have a friend with the 4 S he said he might wait till the 5 S since its already in production.
No one stopping you or anyone else from enjoying the iphone 5 for years to come. Only those that have money to burn, buy every release of the apple products.
SR45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:01 PM   #32
Jordan921
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bay Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myiphone7 View Post
Here's an idea. I've said this before long time ago.

Why doesn't apple just put what is in the 5 S into the 5.

Yes it's lower profits for apple but its definitely good for the consumer.

I mean my friend bought a 3G S PRIMARILY for video capture.

A couple months later I bought a .99 cent video camera app for my 3G, which btw had been rejected by the App Store before the release of the 3G S.

I really hate it when companies hold back on technology just to release it 6-9 months later. Even 12.

If I was apple maybe I'd do the same. They're a business. They're goal is to make money.

But I'm not apple. I'm a consumer. So, therefore, I don't like it.
You should go into business with your own logic and make billions of dollars.
__________________
Unlocked Space Gray iPhone 5S 32gb AT&T, 13.3" MacBook Air 1.86GHZ 4GB Ram 128GB SSD
Jordan921 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:03 PM   #33
josh995
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
I personally think the 'leaked' pictures are BS. I think they are knock offs or a previous design for the iPhone 5 and Apple tweaked it a little to better fit.

I prefer the 12 month cycle, it's perfect and predictable.
josh995 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:13 PM   #34
tymaster50
macrumors 68030
 
tymaster50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Jersey
Never thought someone would make a topic on a phone that looks exactly the same as it's predecessor and call it a leak. Then I saw the thread starter
tymaster50 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:33 PM   #35
iALLOUT4eva
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: PlayDay Land
Quote:
Originally Posted by malias4 View Post
I prefer as well 12 months!
So i can upgrade every 2 years else its no good
Agreed 👍.
iALLOUT4eva is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:42 PM   #36
iHailCarlo
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Every 12 months works for me.
iHailCarlo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:59 PM   #37
VandyChem2009
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
If it were up to me I'd have Apple release a new iPhone everyday.
VandyChem2009 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 01:03 PM   #38
Vantage Point
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New Jersey
Once a year is plenty. Same with iPads
__________________
MacBook Pro 15", 2.4Ghz i5, 8GB RAM (2010), 750GB WD Scorpio Black + NEC 26" LCD2690W2-BK-SV Monitor
iPhone 5 iPad2 Wi-Fi
Vantage Point is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 01:21 PM   #39
EthanNixon
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myiphone7 View Post
No that's definitely a leak everyone thinks it is

----------

It's not like I don't want the 5 S and I do plan to buy one but I just wish I had more time to enjoy my 5.

I would just like to have the latest and greatest for longer period of time like 12 months but with leaks of the 5 S it's so hard to enjoy the 5.

I have a friend with the 4 S he said he might wait till the 5 S since its already in production.
Did you read the article, or just look at the pictures. The author even believes it might not even be a leak... A leak is completely certain, not a rumor. What you have here is simply a rumor of a leak, that was ONLY posted to generate traffic, nothing more.
EthanNixon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 01:24 PM   #40
surjavarman
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
I prefer it that they keep pumping out high quality new phones every day if they could. I couldn't give a rats ass if I buy an iphone 5 now and 2 weeks later they release a new one. Thats just pretentiousness inside of you thats messing with your mind.

How could it possible a bad thing if they literally pump one out every week even if its incremental. You literally have more choice and you can buy a phone anytime you need or want one without having to wait another 1-8 months for the new version.


I don't get you guys. Its just insane to wish for a 1-10 year cycle.
surjavarman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:28 PM   #41
lapeno
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
I prefer every 9 months
__________________
iMac 21.5" 500GB HD, 8GB DDR3, 3.06 GHZ C2D, Lion 10.7.5
16 GB Black iPhone 4 6.1
lapeno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:40 PM   #42
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
12 month cycle
here's why:
I like to feel like my XYZ is "new" for a reasonable amount of time. Why? Because I'm a geek and for some things, I just like having "new". I'll buy not-new stuff. From clothing (goodwill/salvation army represent) to houses, some things I just don't care if it's not new. But because I'm somewhat of a gadget-geek (I like cars too), in that realm, I want to feel like I've got something new. Call it pretentious, shallow, whatever... I bet there are things about everyone that could be deemed that way. Anyway, yes, for the iPhone, I like to feel like it's not out-dated the minute it comes out.

But why is that? Well, I think subconsiously, it's a lot of factors. Think about automobile cycles. A typical cycle is usually 4-6 years. Any longer and consumers get bored of it, see the company as stagnant, desire something new.... but have you wondered what consumers would think if the MY lifecycle got shorter? I personally think as a consumer I would be a bit put-off by a shorter lifecycle (car or iphone). I just feel like if a company pumps things out too quickly there's a (mis?)conception that devalues something. Maybe it's the conception that if something comes out really frequently that due dilligence wasn't done. R&D and planning couldn't have been carried out properly, etc.

Sort of the same thought behind pricing. If something is cheap at walmart, it's seen as such. A $20 toaster at walmart is seen as a cheap item. Put the same exact toaster (same brand or otherwise) at an appilance store for $35 and there's a perception that somehow it's a better product.

Interestingly, when the aforementioned toaster is at a high-end appliance store and the price is cut to $15 from $35, people ALSO have perceptions of that...

I think the same type of principles apply to smartphone release cycles. Whether they're genuine concepts or just misconceptions -- it just feels better as a consumer who values "newness" in gadgetry when the product release cycles are longer.
Leonard1818 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 03:10 PM   #43
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5
 
ucfgrad93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstella5555 View Post
It doesn't really matter to me, I buy phones every two years and even that seems a little excessive.
Same with me. I don't upgrade just because Apple puts out a new device. I don't have to always have the latest and greatest.
ucfgrad93 is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 03:17 PM   #44
skippymac
macrumors 6502a
 
skippymac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Hampshire, UK
The 5 is my first iphone (just got into the world of work so I can now afford one!) so I'm used to seeing releases without being able to buy, and I enjoy the lead up and keynote as much as I did for the 5 knowing I'd buy one. Therefore I'd be entirely happy with 6-9 month schedule.

It would mean the tech improved faster, and would probably cut down on problems and issues due to *slightly* more incremental upgrades. Any innovation would still have the same impact but improvements would be better/more frequent.

Also means people on a 2 year upgrade cycle can get a much different phone, and also won't be stuck on the so called "S cycle" or "non-S cycle".

I'd never get a contract phone (especially iphone) so I can upgrade whenever I can afford/want to

EDIT: I totally get the wanting something that feels new. I would never not buy the newest model of iphone, and I'd almost certainly buy it on launch day or soon after, but my 5 already feels... not old, but comfortable. New is nice, but I think the mark of a good product is that it quickly feels like it's always been there. For that reason I also don't really care about the 12 month release schedule, because by then I'll have long been used to my lovely iphone
__________________
13" 2.4GHz 2010 MBP, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD/128GB SSD
i5-3350p, GTX770 PC | Sony Xperia Z1 | Nexus 7 2012
skippymac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 03:17 PM   #45
ixodes
macrumors 601
 
ixodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pacific Coast, USA
Every twelve months seems like a good interval to me.

However that presents a problem at the present time.

Apple has fallen behind Samsung and other Android manufacturers by quite a wide margin. Why they took a perfectly good 4.0" display and narrowed it down is a decision I think was a mistake. It seems that many others share my perspective and find the 4.0" as "customized" by Apple as inadequate as well.

If Apple wasn't so far behind, the twelve month cycle would be fine, I just don't see how they are going to catch up, especially in the display size specification.

If they continue to cling stubbornly to a tiny display, at some point it will begin to hurt them. Currently there are still so many people in the world that want an iPhone and do not have one, that we have no true indication of just what the demand will be once all initial orders are filled.

What sells the iPhone besides the fact that it's a good phone, is it's a trendy phone. A cool phone. The phone that posers and others want to be seen with.

If you are like a lot of us and have your own identity, without having to be seen with an iPhone... then this phenomena does not apply.

Time will tell.
__________________
An Ultra Fast Mac Is...My Favorite
ixodes is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 03:26 PM   #46
skippymac
macrumors 6502a
 
skippymac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Hampshire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR45 View Post
No one stopping you or anyone else from enjoying the iphone 5 for years to come. Only those that have money to burn, buy every release of the apple products.
While I agree with the first bit of your comment I think that is slightly unfair. Depending on your perspective, only people who have money to burn buy apple products at all. It is no one's place to say what people can and can't spend their money on if they enjoy it, but at the same time it is short sighted and a bit childish to say you can't enjoy a product because there are RUMORS of the next version...
__________________
13" 2.4GHz 2010 MBP, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD/128GB SSD
i5-3350p, GTX770 PC | Sony Xperia Z1 | Nexus 7 2012
skippymac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 04:15 PM   #47
Myiphone7
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanNixon View Post
Did you read the article, or just look at the pictures. The author even believes it might not even be a leak... A leak is completely certain, not a rumor. What you have here is simply a rumor of a leak, that was ONLY posted to generate traffic, nothing more.
Well there's enough evidence that it can be considered a leak

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixodes View Post
Every twelve months seems like a good interval to me.

However that presents a problem at the present time.

Apple has fallen behind Samsung and other Android manufacturers by quite a wide margin. Why they took a perfectly good 4.0" display and narrowed it down is a decision I think was a mistake. It seems that many others share my perspective and find the 4.0" as "customized" by Apple as inadequate as well.

If Apple wasn't so far behind, the twelve month cycle would be fine, I just don't see how they are going to catch up, especially in the display size specification.

If they continue to cling stubbornly to a tiny display, at some point it will begin to hurt them. Currently there are still so many people in the world that want an iPhone and do not have one, that we have no true indication of just what the demand will be once all initial orders are filled.

What sells the iPhone besides the fact that it's a good phone, is it's a trendy phone. A cool phone. The phone that posers and others want to be seen with.

If you are like a lot of us and have your own identity, without having to be seen with an iPhone... then this phenomena does not apply.

Time will tell.
I also read on CNBC that Samsung will introduce a screen that is un breakable. As in it won't shatter or break if you drop it like on concrete.

I REALLY hope apple can do this too. I have never shattered a screen but the more scratch proof and shatter proof the iPhone becomes the more we can use it.
Myiphone7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 05:28 PM   #48
Cripps
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
I would prefer a new one every five years.
Cripps is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 05:46 PM   #49
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myiphone7 View Post
Ummmmmmmmm checkout Macrumors front page...........dude.
That seems like an old iPhone 5 prototype with space for a 45 nm chip (like used in the iPhone 4S). The iPhone 5, however, has a much smaller 32 nm chip.

I don't think it's an "iPhone 5S part" but an old prototype that used bigger 45 nm chips.
ThatsMeRight is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:39 AM   #50
EthanNixon
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myiphone7 View Post
Well there's enough evidence that it can be considered a leak

----------



I also read on CNBC that Samsung will introduce a screen that is un breakable. As in it won't shatter or break if you drop it like on concrete.

I REALLY hope apple can do this too. I have never shattered a screen but the more scratch proof and shatter proof the iPhone becomes the more we can use it.
Evidence? There is absolutely no evidence to support that the back of that case is an iPhone 5S. Literally, nothing.

There's no source. There's no definitive proof. There is no one endorsing it. What is this proof you're seeing, and literally no one else is seeing. I might have to adjust my monitor maybe, because there is no proof to support the claim that MacRumors posted.
__________________
BlackBerry 9900
www.FRAGBOSS.com
EthanNixon is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can someone recommend me Month to Month Iphone and Carrier? pauly1 iPhone 13 Feb 21, 2014 02:26 AM
Olloclip to Release New Telephoto iPhone Lens Later this Month MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 18 Jul 15, 2013 09:50 AM
Verizon iPhone 5 month to month bullock iPhone 0 Nov 9, 2012 07:44 PM
Any iPhone 5 users on month-to-month plans? hercurliness iPhone 0 Sep 22, 2012 10:32 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:24 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC