Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 6, 2012, 04:14 AM   #1
24Frames
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Mac mini - Silent alternative

Here is a silent alternative, with no moving parts (assuming you specify an SSD only) for about the same price when specified to the same level:

http://aleutia.com/relia-fanless-industrial-server

Review:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6494/a...anless-chassis

Apple need to up there game on the noise front, the new Mac mini is very noisy when the processor is operating flat out!
24Frames is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 04:30 AM   #2
iMarvin
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: On the internet!
Looks nice, spec wise. But not as good looking as a mini. Nor does it run OS X.
iMarvin is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 04:31 AM   #3
majkom
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Frames View Post
Here is a silent alternative, with no moving parts (assuming you specify an SSD only) for about the same price when specified to the same level:

http://aleutia.com/relia-fanless-industrial-server

Review:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6494/a...anless-chassis

Apple need to up there game on the noise front, the new Mac mini is very noisy when the processor is operating flat out!
that thing is so ugly
majkom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 04:53 AM   #4
useme2305
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
who cares if it's ugly. it's a pc...that's what sucks about it.
useme2305 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 04:53 AM   #5
24Frames
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
It's better than the Mac mini if you are living in a small space and noise is an issue.

You can hide it away, you don't need to see it.

Apple need to work harder at bringing down the noise levels, it is good to see others doing so.
24Frames is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 05:01 AM   #6
majkom
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Frames View Post
It's better than the Mac mini if you are living in a small space and noise is an issue.

You can hide it away, you don't need to see it.

Apple need to work harder at bringing down the noise levels, it is good to see others doing so.
better for what exactly?
majkom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 05:02 AM   #7
frabber
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
I built my own from a minibox enclosure (i7 2600, 16GB, external esata SSD drive 128G) for far less.

but yeah mac mini is one sexy device.

now some company needs to come up with a watercooled case design this small.
watercooling allows for more efficient heat transfer plus keeps the noise down, i'd call that a win/win.
frabber is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 05:13 AM   #8
benwiggy
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
I've put my mini and external drives on a sheet of neoprene rubber. (Actually, a Draper Vibration mat, used for washing machines!)
It pretty much removes most of the noise, which would otherwise resound across my wooden desk.
benwiggy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 05:19 AM   #9
justperry
macrumors 603
 
justperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Somebody should try to install OS X on it, and it's not that Ugly, could be worse.
justperry is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 05:40 AM   #10
24Frames
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by benwiggy View Post
I've put my mini and external drives on a sheet of neoprene rubber. (Actually, a Draper Vibration mat, used for washing machines!)
It pretty much removes most of the noise, which would otherwise resound across my wooden desk.
Thanks, I I'll try that.
Don't get me wrong, I purchased a Mac mini 2.6GHz to use as a render node with 3D applications, such as Vue 11 Infinite and CINEMA 4D and I'm very pleased with it. It's a great little computer and does the job it was intended for perfectly. But it is noisy, and if I'd purchased it for music production say I'd be very disappointed.
24Frames is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 06:51 AM   #11
fa8362
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Frames View Post
Thanks, I I'll try that.
Don't get me wrong, I purchased a Mac mini 2.6GHz to use as a render node with 3D applications, such as Vue 11 Infinite and CINEMA 4D and I'm very pleased with it. It's a great little computer and does the job it was intended for perfectly. But it is noisy, and if I'd purchased it for music production say I'd be very disappointed.
I do lots of heavy duty audio processing on my 2012 2.3 quad, and other than the hard drive, it doesn't make any noticeable sound.
fa8362 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:33 AM   #12
24Frames
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by fa8362 View Post
I do lots of heavy duty audio processing on my 2012 2.3 quad, and other than the hard drive, it doesn't make any noticeable sound.
You must have the volume level on your audio interface set at 11!

Seriously though you may not be pushing it hard enough for the fans to go up to full speed.

When rendering activity monitor shows 796% or so CPU usage continuously, and after a few minutes the fans go to full speed and it sounds like it is raining.
24Frames is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:43 AM   #13
poloponies
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: May 2010
Do you know how many times a day I think about how noisy my Mac Minis are?


Zero.

Both are installed behind large flat screen TVs and I genuinely can't hear anything that I would consider to be disruptive fan noise.
poloponies is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 09:14 AM   #14
xlii
macrumors 68000
 
xlii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Millis, Massachusetts
From the ars article you pointed to

"One of the drawbacks of completely passively cooled systems is that the CPUs reach their maximum temperature much faster than actively cooled systems. The CPU throttles down its performance as soon as the limits are reached. We proceeded to test out the thermal performance by loading up both the CPU and GPU with Prime 95 and Furmark. After hitting the thermal limits, the CPU speeds were throttled to 900 MHz."

The price you pay for passive cooling will have a cpu which should run at 3000 MHz being throttled down to 900 MHz.

You could achieve the same quiet results by disconnecting the mac mini's fan... but at a cost of cpu clock speed.
xlii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 09:27 AM   #15
bjm2660
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Virginia
Does anyone remember if Apple put the asymmetrical fans in the 2012 minis?

If not, how hard would this be to "DIY"?

----------

I think it's a nearly silent machine. I can't even hear it over the voices in my head.
bjm2660 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:43 AM   #16
blanka
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
I don't know what you hear about your Mini. My G4 mini can be heard. The others..... A fluorescent tube light makes more noise. You can also glue it under the table.
blanka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:13 AM   #17
davisac
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloponies View Post
Do you know how many times a day I think about how noisy my Mac Minis are?


Zero.
Yup. My external hard drive 5ft away from my Mini is louder.
davisac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:56 PM   #18
southerndude39
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
My mini is about 3 feet away from me and I can't hear it even when the fan is ramped up while encoding a video. I don't get where the noise complaints come from. My ceiling fan makes more noise.
southerndude39 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 01:33 PM   #19
iMarvin
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: On the internet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Frames View Post
You must have the volume level on your audio interface set at 11!

Seriously though you may not be pushing it hard enough for the fans to go up to full speed.

When rendering activity monitor shows 796% or so CPU usage continuously, and after a few minutes the fans go to full speed and it sounds like it is raining.
Quick tip, remove the bottom panel and put the mini on it's side. It will lower the heat of the CPU and lower the fan speeds, but other components don't get the same cooling effect as with the cover on! Beware.
iMarvin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 03:38 PM   #20
24Frames
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerndude39 View Post
My mini is about 3 feet away from me and I can't hear it even when the fan is ramped up while encoding a video. I don't get where the noise complaints come from. My ceiling fan makes more noise.
Some people are much more sensitive to noise than others.
I find the transformer hum from my audio interface and speakers slightly annoying.

There is also the matter of the room acoustics, some rooms are much more absorbent than others.
24Frames is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 05:46 PM   #21
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040
 
ActionableMango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Anyone who thinks their Mini is silent hasn't tried transcoding videos in Handbrake. That app is fully threaded and will peg all cores at max for as long as it takes to do the job.
ActionableMango is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 05:53 PM   #22
fa8362
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionableMango View Post
Anyone who thinks their Mini is silent hasn't tried transcoding videos in Handbrake. That app is fully threaded and will peg all cores at max for as long as it takes to do the job.
I have no need for handbrake, so my Mini will remain silent.
fa8362 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 06:12 PM   #23
misfit356tsw
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Frames View Post
Some people are much more sensitive to noise than others.
I find the transformer hum from my audio interface and speakers slightly annoying.

There is also the matter of the room acoustics, some rooms are much more absorbent than others.
I have three children. The hum of my Mac Mini fan is like music to my ears.
__________________
"iPad will not come in a 7" form; nor will it include any form of carbon fiber. Liquidmetal, perhaps.

There iLounge, you can quote me." By tigres
misfit356tsw is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 06:23 PM   #24
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040
 
ActionableMango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit356tsw View Post
I have three children. The hum of my Mac Mini fan is like music to my ears.
You have my congratulations! Or my condolences!

Whichever seems more appropriate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa8362 View Post
I have no need for handbrake, so my Mini will remain silent.
All jet engines are silent! Until you turn them on.

Clearly OP's fanless computer is meant for people whose Minis are loud.
ActionableMango is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 03:25 AM   #25
blanka
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionableMango View Post
Anyone who thinks their Mini is silent hasn't tried transcoding videos in Handbrake. That app is fully threaded and will peg all cores at max for as long as it takes to do the job.
I did Cinema4D, also max threaded, and no problems with the sound. Virtually silent.
blanka is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Silent mac mini canhaz Mac mini 31 Nov 14, 2013 12:32 AM
The iPhone not 100% silent when on silent! piatti iPhone 4 Aug 5, 2013 10:04 AM
Good alternative to TOAST for bluray burning on mac mini ? mjoshi123 Mac mini 0 Apr 23, 2013 03:41 PM
The Fit PC; an alternative to the noisy Mini? Dreamkatcha Mac mini 4 Jul 29, 2012 08:44 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:47 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC