Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunandsurf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
I hope the solution to this is easy cuz it should be! (That word "should" comes up all the time!)

What's my problem? Well, adding a transition and titles is easy; super easy; however, when i want to change the length of the transition or the title, it ends up with some weird numbers. For example, I've now got it as 3 seconds as the default. So let's say I wanna extend it to 6 seconds. Okay, I click and select the transition or title; then I hit Control and D. Fine. Now I can type in the length that I want. So I type in 600 and it shows as 6 seconds; I hit the enter/return key. I give it time to save. I click on it, Control and D and... it's not 6 seconds! It might be something like 9 seconds or 4 seconds!

Please tell me there's a simple solution and explanation!

Thanks.

Last edited:

sunandsurf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Oops! Sorry. I'm using Final Cut Pro X.

Thanks for any ideas you might have.

sunandsurf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Dang! I'm on the road now; will check and post when I get home. Thanks!

sunandsurf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
In a bit of a rush so I'll make this quick. I updated my app to 10.0.6. Not a key issue; why not? Cuz I found out that transitions and titles get "influenced" by stuff around it. By that, I mean if I have a clip that is deemed "too short", the length of a transition can be messed up.

I think it's a weakness of a program that a user can't do anything he/she wants to do but that's another subject.

So, what's a guy to do but figure out some work around!

Instead of using a fade to color transition, just use a custom generator; create two key points (start and ending) and set opacity at 100% or 0% to create a fade to black or fade from black.

Also, I found that inserting a slug is a good way to create a one second black pause before something else happens.

Anyway, that's just one way to do what I was trying to do.... !

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
So sorry to hear you are in a rush. So i make it fast. FCP-X is now 10.07.
After putting you title down or any other clips all you got to do is "TRIM" no need to play around.
Could tell thee more but time factor.:confused:

sunandsurf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Is it possible to use the "trim" function in version 10.0.6?

Thanks for the advice!

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
Well Sir. I would advice you when you have time to try the function out and see what happens.
I think any person working in this software should be comfortable with all the tools available.:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.