Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iFreddie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Hi Guys,

Looking to move from my iPad1 to an iPad Mini or maybe the iPad 4.

I do Podcasting and really need help in regards to which one to get.

Obviously if anybody has any experience in Podcasting on these I'd love to know your opinion BUT I am after just the general opinion also!! Which is best for my needs, surfing, films, music, photos, writing and gaming etc

Currently I create and do Podcasts on my iPad1 via the camera connection kit as it lets you connect other USB devices, does the new camera connection kit allow this on the Mini and the 4? I have read mixed reviews on the net of yes and no answers.

Any help would be great before I spend all my money for it not be able to do what I need it to do with the updated USB camera kit.

Thx!!!

jomirrivera

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2011
Hi Guys,

Looking to move from my iPad1 to an iPad Mini or maybe the iPad 4.

I do Podcasting and really need help in regards to which one to get.

Obviously if anybody has any experience in Podcasting on these I'd love to know your opinion BUT I am after just the general opinion also!! Which is best for my needs, surfing, films, music, photos, writing and gaming etc

Currently I create and do Podcasts on my iPad1 via the camera connection kit as it lets you connect other USB devices, does the new camera connection kit allow this on the Mini and the 4? I have read mixed reviews on the net of yes and no answers.

Any help would be great before I spend all my money for it not be able to do what I need it to do with the updated USB camera kit.

Thx!!!

IMO

Podcast, films, writing, gaming, photos = iPad 4
Surfing = Both

So I will say, go for the iPad 4!

Uplift

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2011
UK
Selling my iPad 3 for a Mini was the best decision i ever made.

You would think gaming, movies would be better on a bigger, retina display.. but compared to the mini it's just not, the mini is so much more pleasent hold making it better for all tasks, for me anyway. I'm using the mini 100% more than i used my iPad 3.

IMO

Podcast, films, writing, gaming, photos = iPad 4
Surfing = Both

So I will say, go for the iPad 4!

I'd say this was the other way round, iPad mini is awesome for all of those things, except surfing.. surfing is worst on Mini coz its much smaller, text is smaller and the lack of retina makes it fuzzy, its still readable, but not great.

Philalbe

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2010
Greater Boston Area
I do a podcast too. I have an ipad 3 and just got a mini yesterday. Haven't decided if I should cut my 3 loose yet. One thing the full size iPad is great for is acting as kind of a TelePrompTer. I stand it up on my computer desk next to my mic and refer to it for reading notes etc.

Last edited:

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Get one, try it, return if necessary. If you think you might like one more than the other, but are apprehensive, I'd say try that one first. You'll either allay or confirm your suspicions.

Regards,
Tom

jomirrivera

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2011
Selling my iPad 3 for a Mini was the best decision i ever made.

You would think gaming, movies would be better on a bigger, retina display.. but compared to the mini it's just not, the mini is so much more pleasent hold making it better for all tasks, for me anyway. I'm using the mini 100% more than i used my iPad 3.

I'd say this was the other way round, iPad mini is awesome for all of those things, except surfing.. surfing is worst on Mini coz its much smaller, text is smaller and the lack of retina makes it fuzzy, its still readable, but not great.

this is just a matter of taste, I prefer the graphics and procesing power of the iPad 4 in exchange of portability!
graphic intensive game will look better in the iPad 4, the same goes for photos and creating media!
Just my two cents

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
General opinion here,

I think that Tablets should be used mainly for surfing and movie or social networking. It is there as suitable replacement for your PCs.

Gaming ok, light gaming will do. But those that required you to hold and tilt your ipad or fighting games like Street fighter should be left for small screen like Ipod touch. I assume many would choose mini over Ipad if they are focused on gaming but screen 7.9 is such a waste because other things like (surfing, movies) would be less entertaining because of its screen.

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
if size and weight doesn't matter to you the 4 is the superior tablet. if you can afford it buy both and return the one you don't want. text on the mini is terrible in my opinion and ruined the whole experience for me so I ended up returning it and buying a 4.

Uplift

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2011
UK
this is just a matter of taste, I prefer the graphics and procesing power of the iPad 4 in exchange of portability!
graphic intensive game will look better in the iPad 4, the same goes for photos and creating media!
Just my two cents

of course, everyones needs are different... prime example last night i downloaded GTA Vice City onto the mini and played it for 2 hours, i think thats the longest i've ever used a hand held device to play a game, i could lay back in bed and play it comfortably.. i've tried this on my iPad 3 and got bored quickly because it's more awkward to hold etc..

my mini now comes to work with me every morning and i read the papers from news stand... my ipad 3 never left the house.

so it's all well and good having a more powerful machine but if your not using it, less powerful for more usage is a great trade off.

if content creation and photos is important then the iPad 4 would be a better solution.

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
I have in front of me both a mini and an iPad 4 and I honestly can tell you it's one of the hardest decisions I've made when it comes to mobile devices. They're both great but I will say that if the iPad 5 comes out with a lighter (less than 1lb) design and smaller bezel and thinner form factor I would definitely get it over a mini. For now I'm probly going to go with a mini + iPad 3 setup. I will use the 4 for a few more days and decide and keep you updated.

iFreddie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Wicked!

Cheers guys for the replies, I am still very much undecided and I agree this is the hardest device decision I've come too....

iFreddie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Also guys, why would as some of you say, why would media creation and content be better on the iPad 4 then the Mini? Surely I am using the same apps etc I can't understand how that can be any different/better??:confused:

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Selling the iPad 3 for the Mini was the best decision I made when it comes to iOS devices.

Just as capable, but a fraction of the weight.

Amazing device.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Also guys, why would as some of you say, why would media creation and content be better on the iPad 4 then the Mini? Surely I am using the same apps etc I can't understand how that can be any different/better??:confused:

Why is Media creation better on a 15" Retina MacBook Pro vs an 11" MacBook Air?

iFreddie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Obviously visual media yes but I create Podcasts, I can't see how it needs to be done on a 4 more then a Mini, it isn't a video Podcast, it is Audio. :confused:

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
If you have a full size iPad and can afford to keep it and buy a Mini as well that's got to be the best option. I was initially a Mini hater because of the screen. So I went for a 4th gen as I'd sold my iPad 3 a few months ago. Just bought a 16GB WiFi as I planned to use it at home only and while its awesome, I've picked up a 16GB Mini LTE to for out and about. The combo is perfect for me.

coolguy879

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2012
Personally, I would select the iPad 4 based on its tech specs (see apple.com) instead of the iPad mini. Then again, it's your money and therefore, it's your choice.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I wonder sometimes if "retina" is a double edged sword. It's a great marketing term. It's raised awareness of quality of screen and ppi. But it also trivializes things like resolution.

2048 x 1536. 9.7" That's still amazing. Overall, still one of the best screens you'll own or have used. This is why you get an ipad 4 (or 3). Forget if it might be faster. This is eye candy as its current finest.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2009
After taxes I paid $351 for an iPad mini. After a month of use, it began to feel like just a larger iPhone 5, with a pretty "meh" screen. I ended up finding a white iPad 4 on eBay for $499 with no tax or shipping, so for just a bit more I got a much better tablet. And now after owning a retina iPad, I finally understand all the praises for this STUNNING display.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
2048 x 1536. 9.7" That's still amazing. Overall, still one of the best screens you'll own or have used. This is why you get an ipad 4 (or 3). Forget if it might be faster. This is eye candy as its current finest.

Couldn't agree with this more! The iPad mini is a neat device, but when I look at the screen I know it is not for me. I love my iPad 4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.